Johnson Cycle Works Edenvale Disappointing Service

dasilvarsa

Last Week I took my front Wheel from Merida MTB 29er to be repaired @ Johnson Cycle Works Edenvale.

The wheel was buckled after a small accident.

Mr Johnson phoned me after half an hour giving me the bad news that the rim would have to be replaced at a cost of R899. I asked if he had the correct rim in stock and he said yes.

I told him to go ahead with the replacement.

This week I examined the rim and found that the original rim was a Jalco 20 mm width Rim.

The replacement fitted is a DRC 17 mm Rim.

I phoned Mr Johnson and he did not offer to make right on my concern.

I explained to him that 17 mm Rim is already out of spec for Maxxis 2.20 tyre and that in the future I want to install 2.35 tyres. Still he did not offer to make right on his deliberate mistake.

He also said it's OK to fit any size tyre to that 17 mm Rim.

I guess I'll have to spend another R900 to get it sorted out.

Can't speak to getting your money back but there is a reason they are a little mickey mouse shop in the back of Edenvale, better left to fixing commuter bikes with cheap stock.

Rather go through to Ridgeway Cycles in Stoneridge and get service from people who know what they are doing.

3mm is going to make absolutely no noticeable difference to your ride quality.

Theoretically he should have asked you first but practically it makes no difference at all.

I wouldn't accept that - the rim was replaced with an incorrect product, unless he can show that you were aware of the difference before you gave the go-ahead, you should insist they fit another with the same specs at their cost.

I've bought bikes from Kim and used to take my 'dales there for (expensive) regular servicing until the last time, when they couldn't get the rear gears lined up properly, after taking it back it got worse. I said to myself: apply your mind and sort it out yourself: and the rest is history. btw, just about every time it was a new chain and cassette.

I've also straightened many a buckled rim by tweaking spokes, but that is not to say that the replacement.

3mm is going to make absolutely no noticeable difference to your ride quality.

Theoretically he should have asked you first but practically it makes no difference at all.

That’s like somebody saying it’s ok if you get an Epic Marathon when you ordered an Epic Sworks because it actually won’t make a difference.... ????????‍♂️ Edited by Patchelicious

Absolutely unacceptable. Insist that the shop replaces it on their cost. You cannot tell a client you are giving them X and then you give them Y.

20mm is already very narrow, 17mm is extremely narrow, and you will have very little air volume to get the advantages you will be looking for from a 2.35" tyre.

• 2 years later...

Ive just picked up on this thread. Johnson Cycle Works is absolutely pathetic. After spending thousands of rands on services, he still can't seem to get it right. What was wrong with my bike? The back tire was flat. Yes, that's all.... I had to take it in 5 times.. A simple puncture. I mean really.. This oaks business is failing and its the terrible service by Kim himself.

When I expressed my disgust with a bill that just kept increasing, he shrugged his shoulders and when I paid and said that this will be the last time I come back here he sneered "so be it" 

I took my bike to Cycle Lab and told them what had happened. My bike was sorted in 25min and they gave me 50% off because of the trouble Johnson Cycle Works gave me. 

Before all of this I ordered a part for my Thule freeway, he charged me R200. I ordered the same part from another cycle shop and it cost R99... He loads his prices and when I asked him about out, he shrugged his shoulders and said, "well that's Thule pricing..." What a liar.

More google ratings for Johnson Cycle Works

1: 

I came in for two new tyres and tubes for my road bike - the man who assisted me informed me that he had also replaced the tubes and that he’d put jell into the tubes to prevent punctures. (Which I paid for)

I was cycling in the Cradle when I got a puncture - took my bike to someone on the route to assist - when he pulled the tube out you could see that the puncture was from a patched tube and there was NO jell in the tube...
Secondly my chain keeps popping off the cog , which it never did before the “tyre” change!!
what a con!!!

2:

just walked into Johnsons cycles looking for a new bike, ppl at the counter all chatting , nobody came over to me to say good morning or may i help you , walked around the shop for a while , still no assistance , i guess they dont need my money , me and my R35K will go to Tony Impey to get my new bike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3:

WHEN YOU ASK FOR SERVICE RATED AT R1800 THEY GIVE YOU LITERALLY NOTHING LIKE WHEN I CHECK MY BRAKE PADS AND AND CHAIN THEY ARE WORN OUT AND OLD NEVER BEEN REPLACED TOTAL RIP OFF NEVER GO TO THEM TRY AND A BETTER BIYCLE SHOP

Ive just picked up on this thread. Johnson Cycle Works is absolutely pathetic. After spending thousands of rands on services, he still can't seem to get it right. What was wrong with my bike? The back tire was flat. Yes, that's all.... I had to take it in 5 times.. A simple puncture. I mean really.. This oaks business is failing and its the terrible service by Kim himself.

When I expressed my disgust with a bill that just kept increasing, he shrugged his shoulders and when I paid and said that this will be the last time I come back here he sneered "so be it" 

I took my bike to Cycle Lab and told them what had happened. My bike was sorted in 25min and they gave me 50% off because of the trouble Johnson Cycle Works gave me. 

Before all of this I ordered a part for my Thule freeway, he charged me R200. I ordered the same part from another cycle shop and it cost R99... He loads his prices and when I asked him about out, he shrugged his shoulders and said, "well that's Thule pricing..." What a liar.

hold on. You took your bike in to get a puncture fixed?

I've always found the service from Complete Cyclist to be great and reasonably priced.... not too far from Johnson's