Are Gatorskins Worth it

XiperStarchild

I've been meaning to get into road cycling for a while now and, now that I have my own road bicycle, I'm worried about getting flats. I haven't ridden it yet as I've had no time for that. But I've seen these set of tires online that everyone seems to praise due to their resistance to sharp objects such as thorns and broken glass.

How well do they work on the roads of South Africa? I ride a lot in the Waterkloof, Pretoria area, for reference.

Everybody raves about them and they are good, but they are expensive.

I had a set a few years back and cannot say that they were any better at puncture protection than other brands that Ive had. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I seldom get punctures irrespective of the tyres that I've used

Yip. For further puncture protection, put goo in the tubes. 

OR

You could do what a mate of mine has done - tube, 25mm tyre seated ON TOP of a 23mm, hence 2 tyres on one wheel! Rock hard ride, but if you're paranoid about punctures, that's the ultimate, other than those stupid solid tyres. 

OR

You could do what a mate of mine has done - tube, 25mm tyre seated ON TOP of a 23mm, hence 2 tyres on one wheel! Rock hard ride, but if you're paranoid about punctures, that's the ultimate, other than those stupid solid tyres. 

Bliksem  :eek:

OR

This is how I roll.

(Cut the 23mm bead off and it fits perfectly with 25mm Gatoskins) Heavy though but I am a lone rider and I don't want punctures anymore.

I am considering doing this and going tubeless with TLR Giant Gavia 25mm.  Have the tyres and just need to convert on my CX bike. 

I think this will enable me to run at a lower pressure to soften the ride and the sealant may work better at a lower pressure?

Edited by Sepia

This is how I roll.

(Cut the 23mm bead off and it fits perfectly with 25mm Gatoskins) Heavy though but I am a lone rider and I don't want punctures anymore.

Just get Marathon Plus

Just get Marathon Plus

Got them on my other set of wheels, running tubeless.  Fine touring tires indeed.