Stage racing for moms - yes, you can do it without a wife

Rapunzel

The advent of stage racing has provided some of us moms with a crazy desire to burn our sports bras, raid the access bond and enter mountain biking stage races. We can only handle seeing our (sometimes) better halves returning after 3 or more days of mountain biking sporting a mean cycling suntan and an endorphin high for so long before we start deviously planning a way to get our cut of the action.

Having a husband 2 children in primary school has its own set of challenges when you have Cape Pioneer Trek and Wines 2 Whales on the race calendar (never mind the Cape Epic - but that will be covered in instalment 2 of "Stage Racing for Moms" next year, God willing).

So having counted your blessings for the physical and financial ability to enter these events, you may glean some insight and tips from my stage race "to do" list. I've tried to put in order of importance but who knows, it depends on how many glasses of wine you drink daily in the run up to the event.

• Placate your husband: he's going to feel very hard done by in your absence but can nevertheless be an ally when it comes to wanting to add future events to your calendar. I can't really give you any great tips on this one as I haven't gotten it quite right and it sometimes ends up being easier to ask forgiveness than permission :ph34r:
  • Prepare your children: this takes broad shoulders because you cannot expect your interests to trump theirs. Be prepared for guilt trips (see illustration below article) and the occasional expletives. Don't worry, I've not had to deal with any hospital admissions (regular or psychiatric) and I'm sure you won't either.
  • Prepare a backup team. It is now time to cash in on all those little favours you do for anybody else. Somebody's going to have to assist with the fetching and carrying, listening to the moans and groans and generally standing up for you in your absence. Warning: you'll probably be indebted to these people for life. Put together daily schedules with times and locations of all extra mural activities as well as packing lists - it's more of an alibi in case anything goes wrong.
  • Food: different households have different ways of functioning but if you intend avoiding your family relying on KFC for their 3 balanced meals of the day, this is going to take some work. Prepare meals and include directions on how to switch the oven on, remove clingfilm (don't forget these minor details - they'll bite you in the ass) and how long to cook for. Prepare lunch boxes for up to 5 school days, grocery shop as if you're preparing for an apocalypse and don't forget to fill the car's fuel tank while you're at it.
  • Clothing: empty the laundry bin if it is humanly possible (but be prepared for it to be overflowing on your return). Ensure school uniforms are ironed and that everybody has enough jocks, socks, etc
  • Logistics: all the "stuff" everybody is oblivious to like banking, paying bills, tax returns, giving the pool a backwash and emptying the skimmer box and and rescheduling anything that cannot be done in your absence.
  • Race stuff: spares, tires, chamois cream, clothes, pillow, toiletries; sleeping bag, sunblock, jacket, helmet, shoes, computer, bike, ....

Now it is time to take a holiday, hop on the bike for a couple of hours every day and put your feet up all afternoon without having to hear "mom" every 32.7seconds. Enjoy having meals prepared for you, leave your tent a shambles and not make your bed, hold adult conversations with other like-minded people without having any interruptions and just be you for a while instead of being wife and mom.

Word of advice: providing you keep your phone switched off, there is an excellent chance your family will survive perfectly well in your absence and KFC will not kill them (although a week of it may reduce life expectancy). While they may not admit it, kids think its quite cool to have a mom who can ride a bike and they will always love you as you love them :D

post-7002-0-66801500-1510641034_thumb.jpg

lol, brilliant.

My food for the family is normally 1 night pre-cooked meal (I make it the night before), 1 night Woolies lasagna and 1 night take-away's.

For those you don't like leaving the kids, but still want to go do the stage races, look at Berg and Bush as an option as it is very family friendly.  There is place to put your family tent, or if you want comfort, there are places to stay close to the camp.  There are a couple of cool viewing points along the way and other nearby activities for the family while you are riding.

For me it's going to be a while before I can do the stage races again.  I can't leave hubby with a 5 month old and a 9 year old, the 9 year old will get bored out of his mind (he is very active).

Next plan is Houw Hoek 2018 (it's only 2 days)!

lol, brilliant.

My food for the family is normally 1 night pre-cooked meal (I make it the night before), 1 night Woolies lasagna and 1 night take-away's.

For those you don't like leaving the kids, but still want to go do the stage races, look at Berg and Bush as an option as it is very family friendly.  There is place to put your family tent, or if you want comfort, there are places to stay close to the camp.  There are a couple of cool viewing points along the way and other nearby activities for the family while you are riding.

For me it's going to be a while before I can do the stage races again.  I can't leave hubby with a 5 month old and a 9 year old, the 9 year old will get bored out of his mind (he is very active).

Next plan is Houw Hoek 2018 (it's only 2 days)!

jussus what's wrong with SA males that they can't cook there own food?

Sounds like what I did when I went away for Jock and TOGH. 

Wait, don't all your hubby's do the laundry, cook the meals, take the kids to school and wash up? I was told it was the least I could do after she brought Lance and Kittel into this world and if I wanted to see my mistress, Miss Cannodale, ever.

Edited by Pure Savage

Sounds like what I did when I went away for Jock and TOGH.

Wait, don't all your hubby's do the laundry, cook the meals, take the kids to school and wash up? I was told it was the least I could do after she brought Lance and Kittel into this world and if I wanted to see my mistress, Miss Cannodale, ever.

Juggling the training is probably trickier than doing the event.

If I had to leave the kids with hubby I suspect they will be fine and probably eat better than what when I am at home as my eldest would probably braai every night..protein overload for sure.

As for school and sport, well just earlier mornings to catch the bus to and from school..and there is even a sports bus that travels late afternoons after activities, walking 1km home from the bus stop won't hurt, or alternatively "book" them into the school hostel for a few days..that way homework and studying WILL get done.. cause they could pull a fast one on dad when it comes to homework [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

When I started cycling I initially encouraged my wife to join me in this exciting new sport. Quickly realised though that if she is out there cycling it means more homework & babysitting duties for me and less time to go out cycling....

So after listening to her complaints after her first big fall on the mtb I concurred with her that maybe this sport is not for everybody  :ph34r:

Great post!!!!

We need more ladies racing in all disciplines! ...

Guaranteed we would have more ladies up there on the podiums - especially in the World Masters categories ... as seen in 2015 in Andorra.

3 out of 4 of South Africa's medals came from the Ladies DH team!

As for the kids although my wife and i dont have any yet - our plan is to dump them with gran and grandad whilst we go off and race.

post-16861-0-70190300-1510650796_thumb.jpg

Let's not go ahead and assume we all can't cook. Some of us are better skilled than our better halves in the kitchen. . . 

The best chefs in the world are..................men!