is a tv a tv... or are there TEEVEEs?!?

L.T.G

So after a few weeks of "creatively moving funds around" and looking at prices, specs etc I have narrowed it down to these 2 from Makro.

https://www.makro.co.za/electronics-computers/televisions/led/-46-117cm-/hisense-147-cm-58-smart-uhd-tv-/p/000000000000396665_EA

https://www.makro.co.za/electronics-computers/televisions/led/-46-117cm-/sinotec-165-cm-65-uhd-netflix-led-tv-/p/000000000000397383_EA

So now, do I go slightly smaller for what seems to be a better tv or do I go for the big one? I am going to makro after work to look at them both and make a decision, but I will be watching the end of the stage today on a new tv.

On a side note, I didn't really want a smart tv but it seems in this price range, they all smart unless you go for some really unknown brand.

SIZE:

58 Inch is already massive. I was blown away by the size of a 55" when I received the box.

Take a tape measure and see what it will measure out to in your living room. Smaller might be sufficient.

SMART:

As mentioned previously: Very Few of these TV's are truly strong enough media centres, this part is usually skimped on by the manufacturer to be the bare minimum.

Look at some of the other well-received media-centres: 

https://www.makro.co.za/electronics-computers/audio-video/streaming-media-devices/streaming-devices/xiaomi-mi-box-hd-4k-streaming-media-/p/000000000000390206_EA?gclid=Cj0KCQjwtZH7BRDzARIsAGjbK2Yt4UIeCcU3lEsolBjd78blMFTTpyGgiYtg3vU2JMfqrqT1JeiY0D8aAm7HEALw_wcB

Or an old PS3/PS4 is very powerfull and have native Netflix/Youtube apps, think the PS4 can even run DSTV, but that needs to be confirmed. Don't know if anyone still owns Bluray discs, but these consoles also fundtions in that capacity.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW I was in Makro the other day, and from the normal DSTV feed (which is utter crap, with all the splitters they use) the Sinotec panels were, to my eyes, the best of the budget lot. Slightly sharper images, slightly better movement processing and less ghosting. Which, on the cheap panels, is always my nr1 complaint. That tells me that they can handle a crappy feed very well, which means their upscaling must be good, too. 

Both are very good options, though. 

FWIW I was in Makro the other day, and from the normal DSTV feed (which is utter crap, with all the splitters they use) the Sinotec panels were, to my eyes, the best of the budget lot. Slightly sharper images, slightly better movement processing and less ghosting. Which, on the cheap panels, is always my nr1 complaint. That tells me that they can handle a crappy feed very well, which means their upscaling must be good, too. 

Have to agree. Sinotec is an extremely great choice, will be one of my choices when I have to replace.

I have a samsung smart tv and I am not impressed. It is also no longer smart. My older Sony plays video alot nicer. 

Get you a Samsung - love the clarity on it!

I know, crap photo :ph34r:

So for the samsung that sits in the price range of the 2 I posted above, you get 50". So it is a fair amount smaller. I agree, they are very good but I am not sure I will notice a difference in the picture. But in 2 hours time I will be at makro comparing the pictures and hopefully not long after that I'll be at home watch the tour on my new tv.

Thanks. I am going to makro just now. Will check them both out and decide there. According to the website they have stock of both. 

Thanks. I am going to makro just now. Will check them both out and decide there. According to the website they have stock of both. 

Went with the Hisense. Looked at the Hisense first and as soon as I looked at the Sinotec I could see the picture quality difference. The 65" would probably also have been a bit too big in my lounge. 

It only just fits in the back of my bakkie. I drove home so slowly as didn't want to hit bumps hard.

post-58906-0-12168000-1600667821_thumb.png

Compared to the 32" I was borrowing.

post-58906-0-20338800-1600667997_thumb.png

post-58906-0-55320200-1600668014_thumb.png

Went with the Hisense. Looked at the Hisense first and as soon as I looked at the Sinotec I could see the picture quality difference. The 65" would probably also have been a bit too big in my lounge. 

It only just fits in the back of my bakkie. I drove home so slowly as didn't want to hit bumps hard.

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

Compared to the 32" I was borrowing.

attachicon.gifCapture2.PNG

attachicon.gifCapture1.PNG

Congrats! Just a heads up incase you're wondering about the soap opera effect on your new tv.

Not everyone notices it off the bat but these new models support variable refresh rates.

So depending on what you're watching you could see some ghosting or this strange blur in high motion scenes. Hisense avoids the jargon and actual refresh rate numbers by calling it 'motion smoothing'. You can change this in your picture settings.

https://youtu.be/sor5qTTsOOQ

https://youtu.be/rN1NjPHROis

Congrats! Just a heads up incase you're wondering about the soap opera effect on your new tv.

Not everyone notices it off the bat but these new models support variable refresh rates.

So depending on what you're watching you could see some ghosting or this strange blur in high motion scenes. Hisense avoids the jargon and actual refresh rate numbers by calling it 'motion smoothing'. You can change this in your picture settings.

https://youtu.be/sor5qTTsOOQ

https://youtu.be/rN1NjPHROis

Thanks for the info, I will have a look at your links later at home, No youtube allowed here at work. 

Get you a Samsung - love the clarity on it!

I know, crap photo :ph34r:

I take it renovations are done. I love how you've integrated your power for cable management. 

Looks mooi.

You were very brave transporting it flat like that. I would have waited for Black Friday, yes it's still on and for even longer this year...

You were very brave transporting it flat like that. I would have waited for Black Friday, yes it's still on and for even longer this year...

But the man needed a nice TV to watch the weekend racing on..

Pogacar tearing up Le Planche de Belle Filles in Ultra HD: Priceless

Yeah it's not ideal with the rear suspension of a bakkie being so hard but luckily it's not far and I drove slowly. I also had the screen side up which is apparently better.

It was on special, usually R9999 and I paid R8999. The special ended yesterday. Out of interest I will check black Friday and see what I can get for R9k. But TBH I missed having a decent TV and it had been like 3 weeks since my Sony died so I didn't want to wait much longer. 

But the man needed a nice TV to watch the weekend racing on..

Pogacar tearing up Le Planche de Belle Filles in Ultra HD: Priceless

Le Tour, LeMans, MotoGP, UFC-it got a good running in this weekend.

Yeah it's not ideal with the rear suspension of a bakkie being so hard but luckily it's not far and I drove slowly. I also had the screen side up which is apparently better.

It was on special, usually R9999 and I paid R8999. The special ended yesterday. Out of interest I will check black Friday and see what I can get for R9k. But TBH I missed having a decent TV and it had been like 3 weeks since my Sony died so I didn't want to wait much longer. 

Would be very interesting to note the difference in pricing from a normal "SALE", like you just benefitted from and a Black Friday SALE. I'd expect maybe another 5% discount, at most, but lets see.