We need help

Psyrax

After watching the footage of the Nelspruit robbery, I/we need help.

With so many bikes these days that leave the owners because of hi-jacks, house theft, store theft, scams, and so on, is there no way to install a gps type of tracker on bikes to relocate them?

Yes cars have them because there is a constant supply of electricity due to the battery. But surely in this day and age with all our fantastic technology there must be a solution for bikes?  Available now already is electronic shifting. (Please don't let us one day have elec braking). So putting some sort of battery in your bike somewhere is possible.

And I understand also that a car have thousands of places to hide a tracker and a bike don't. But we have clever people and I think it is possible. Is e-bikes the solution. (Please don't start with shooting e-bikes down. Go moan somewhere else).

There are some very good ways of preventing your bike from leaving you- some work, some don't. But no way of getting your loved one back once missing. Just hoping SAPS finding your bike is not good enough.

Come on guys. There must be a solution.

With so many bikes these days that leave the owners because of hi-jacks, house theft, store theft, scams, and so on, is there no way to install a gps type of tracker on bikes to relocate them?

Yes cars have them because there is a constant supply of electricity due to the battery. But surely in this day and age with all our fantastic technology there must be a solution for bikes?  Available now already is electronic shifting. (Please don't let us one day have elec braking). So putting some sort of battery in your bike somewhere is possible.

And I understand also that a car have thousands of places to hide a tracker and a bike don't. But we have clever people and I think it is possible. Is e-bikes the solution. (Please don't start with shooting e-bikes down. Go moan somewhere else).

There are some very good ways of preventing your bike from leaving you - some work, some don't. But no way of getting your loved one back once missing. Just hoping SAPS finding your bike is not good enough.

Start by asking all the people you know including all the many social media platforms to question dirt cheap like new second hand goods from moerseNice okes as these goods are usually stolen.

Remember folk, if you buy stolen goods you are just as bad as the scum who stole it.

Start by asking all the people you know including all the many social media platforms to question dirt cheap like new second hand goods from moerseNice okes as these goods are usually stolen.

Remember folk, if you buy stolen goods you are just as bad as the scum who stole it.

A thing called Karma will come home to roost at some point !!

Hello :)

I know of 3 good solutions, none of which are in SA yet - however, one I am closely aligned to, will arrive before Xmas.

You may email me for more info.

There are some very good ways of preventing your bike from leaving you- some work, some don't. But no way of getting your loved one back once missing. Just hoping SAPS finding your bike is not good enough.

Most of these "tracker" solutions are pretty tollie. They make it seem cool in the ads, but you literally have to be within bluetooth range of your stolen goods, so technically you're hoping that the thief decided to have a beer around the corner before he goes home. My dad bought one of those and he was not impressed at all.

Any tracker worth its name needs to contain a GPS and GSM unit in order to obtain and transmit coordinates. Some just use GSM to triangulate based on the difference in signal strength to surrounding towers, which is better than nothing. The problem with a proper tracker, as mentioned, is power. Now it's of course possible to hide 3x 4.2V 18650 cells in a tube somewhere and would not require a lot of imagination to impregnate your top tube or saddle with a solar panel to charge it, thus giving you the dependable power supply you're after to power something like THIS, but at the rate people are crying about weight differences in the realm of mere grams, they will most likely not take well to the addition of a good hundred or two extra grams of battery weight for a theft solution.

So long story short: It's possible to do a proper GPS tracker, but your list of clients will most likely not make the investment worthwhile.

also, the goods go over the border very quickly, MTB is a growing sport beyond our borders

Thats a theory to where some of the parts go, I agree. 

But I would like to know where? Where in Africa is there a demand for high end MTBs? Where is MTBing growing the fastest in Africa? Oh ja, South Africa, thats where.

I will bet you all my bikes that there are people, reading this very thread right now, that have bought something that they probably knew was not totally legit. 

Recovery, tracking, insurance, SAPS are secondary solutions that other people can do. Crime prevention must not be overlooked.

We can call out crimes and dodgy deals and not fall into the trap of buying "too good to be true" bikes and parts, that is what me and you, we, can do right now.

A thing called Karma will come home to roost at some point !!

100%

Stop buying stolen goods!

Its not the average commuter who is buying the stolen high end bikes and parts, its people like us.

I am sick and tired of saying this