Aerodynamics

Mudsimus

Theres a interesting article in the latest bicycling. A group of cyclists at MIT did a few wind tunnel tests.

1. A non aero helmet creates 4 times more drag than a non earo wheelset.

2. A race number thats not flat on your back has a greater effect than a aero wheelset.

3. On a conventional frame its more aero to carry a water bottle on your frame than without.

4. Wearing gloves makes you less aerodynamic than having a conventional front wheel.

Makes you think why you should spend thousands on gear if its the small things that make the diif!

5. Training 10 hours extra a weeks also makes you faster then riding with a aero helmet.

10 hours extra....so that works out to 10 and a half hours a week!

The body is the biggest obstacle when it comes to aerodynamics. Any improvements that can be brought in this area will yield the biggest return but once you run out of idea's here then you need to turn to the bike for the small gains that will maybe make the difference between winning and being an also ran.

Theres a interesting article in the latest bicycling. A group of cyclists at MIT did a few wind tunnel tests.

1. A non aero helmet creates 4 times more drag than a non earo wheelset.

2. A race number thats not flat on your back has a greater effect than a aero wheelset.

3. On a conventional frame its more aero to carry a water bottle on your frame than without.

4. Wearing gloves makes you less aerodynamic than having a conventional front wheel.

Makes you think why you should spend thousands on gear if its the small things that make the diif!

so now i'm going to....

a) shave my head and not ride with a helmet

b) permanently sow my race number onto my kit (thus i will a league kit, 

PPA kit, Argus kit, Knysna kit any other big races kit and new kit for

every time that my seeding improves)Confused

c) continue riding with water

d) use this as an excuse when my parents give me a hard time about not

wearing gloves

think i'll win the Argus if i do all these things???LOL

I once read that a camelback also increase your aerodynamica. There was a show short while ago on discovery about our favourite Lance Armstrong and aearodymics.....Anyone seen it?

Most of the times your aerodynamics won't make you win a race. It all depends on your fitness and how desprate you are to win the race.

While you're sitting in the bunch you can pretty much disregard the effects of aerodynamics. 

Remember the MIT students were looking at improving TT performance, which is where the tiny differences can start to add up.

So I'm still not going to shave my legs.

ON A TT Aerodynamics makes ALL the difference in the world........ DuathleteTongue

Yes I agree you have to be fit asswell and hungry to win

At some or other point desire and will to win will take you to the top of your sport but as Psycho says, the final margin of victory can be as small as a poor choice of wheels or getting off the tri bars for a few minutes when you should have stayed down low.

I agree in TT even the smallest mistake that you make can cost you the race! But in a bunch it is a totally diffrent game.Smile