Best entry level MTB

RossouwStevens

I want to start riding and have a budget of about R8500 for a bike.

I was looking at the Giant Revel 29", GT Avalanche Sport 29" or the Scott Aspect 930.

Are these good choices? Anything else I should look at?

I want to start riding and have a budget of about R8500 for a bike.

I was looking at the Giant Revel 29", GT Avalanche Sport 29" or the Scott Aspect 930.

Are these good choices? Anything else I should look at?

Momsen not bad for what you pay...Shop around for this one, you should get this for your budget.

http://momsenbikes.com/bikes/hardtail-alloy/al129/

Edited by Mojoman

WELCOME Rossouw.

Titan and Merida have some good entry level options.  As you grow in the sport Merida also has some nice models to upgrade to ....

Where are you based ?

In the Cape there are a number of cycle shops that sell second hand bikes.  You OFTEN find very good mid-range bikes that were traded in when the rider upgraded to the current model ....

Marks Workshop in Bellville comes to mind, for good condition Merida bikes.  

GecoCycles in Brackenfell

another one in Kuilsriver (forget the name now)

few items to look for :

gearing -

3x10 (3 gears in the front and 10 gears at the back) is o-so yesterday (said with lots of sarcasm to the yuppies)  Happy with my 3x10 commuter setup

2x10 or 2x11 is my personal favorite (enough bottom gearing, and enough top-end)

1x11 or 1x12 is the weapon of choise for the serious racers ... and also not on an entry level budget ....

front shock -

spring loaded - entry level.... and typical of the entry level budget

air-shock ... now the fun starts, and the budget clocks up .... if you can get a decent 2nd hand bike this would be the item to look out for.

Tube less tires -

depending where you ride, your tubes will puncture again and again ....  Then tubeless makes a LOT of sense !

If you buy new, they often add this at a smaller fee ...

Buying a set of tubeless tires, rim tape, and sludge could put you back R 1500 and up and up and up ....

So if you do buy second hand, it adds to the value if the tires are in good nick and tubeless ....

Brakes -

cantelever brakes - doubt you still find this on adult bikes ... (brake pads onto the rim..)

Cable-disc brakes .... real entry level stuff ....

Hydraulic disc brakes.  You spend a second bond on top quality brakes .... but even the basic hydraulics are "good enough" for what you will be doing with an entry level bike.

Shimano vs SRAM ..... hehehehehe .... better chance to figure out if BM is better than Merc ....

PS - I am a newbie myself .... the real experts will be here shortly to give you PROPER advise.  :)

OP never identified himself as a dentist or accountant...

Though he might just have left a zero off the budget (so clearly we have eliminated the accountant theory)

And I suppose even at 85k you will still come up a good 40 short on the bike in question

Thanks for all the info!

WELCOME Rossouw.

Titan and Merida have some good entry level options.  As you grow in the sport Merida also has some nice models to upgrade to ....

Where are you based ?

In the Cape there are a number of cycle shops that sell second hand bikes.  You OFTEN find very good mid-range bikes that were traded in when the rider upgraded to the current model ....

Marks Workshop in Bellville comes to mind, for good condition Merida bikes.  

GecoCycles in Brackenfell

another one in Kuilsriver (forget the name now)

few items to look for :

gearing -

3x10 (3 gears in the front and 10 gears at the back) is o-so yesterday (said with lots of sarcasm to the yuppies)  Happy with my 3x10 commuter setup

2x10 or 2x11 is my personal favorite (enough bottom gearing, and enough top-end)

1x11 or 1x12 is the weapon of choise for the serious racers ... and also not on an entry level budget ....

front shock -

spring loaded - entry level.... and typical of the entry level budget

air-shock ... now the fun starts, and the budget clocks up .... if you can get a decent 2nd hand bike this would be the item to look out for.

Tube less tires -

depending where you ride, your tubes will puncture again and again ....  Then tubeless makes a LOT of sense !

If you buy new, they often add this at a smaller fee ...

Buying a set of tubeless tires, rim tape, and sludge could put you back R 1500 and up and up and up ....

So if you do buy second hand, it adds to the value if the tires are in good nick and tubeless ....

Brakes -

cantelever brakes - doubt you still find this on adult bikes ... (brake pads onto the rim..)

Cable-disc brakes .... real entry level stuff ....

Hydraulic disc brakes.  You spend a second bond on top quality brakes .... but even the basic hydraulics are "good enough" for what you will be doing with an entry level bike.

Shimano vs SRAM ..... hehehehehe .... better chance to figure out if BM is better than Merc ....

PS - I am a newbie myself .... the real experts will be here shortly to give you PROPER advise.  :)

I really needed this! I half figured some of this from browsing bikes but it is always better to have someone actually explain everything, again, thank you.

Unfortunately I am not in the Cape... seems like there are quite a few nice shops down there.

Though he might just have left a zero off the budget (so clearly we have eliminated the accountant theory)

And I suppose even at 85k you will still come up a good 40 short on the bike in question

I really wish I could say I left a zero off my budget, but unfortunately not :(

Silverback Sola series is good value for money in that price range.

Thank you, I will have a look.

I am open to buying off the classifieds as long as I get something good and worth the hassle.

If you are open to this it is your best bet! 

Go into your nearest cycle shop and make friends, get your helmet and that from them and ask them to measure you up so you know exactly what size you need. After that, get your bike from the classifieds and ask them to do a once over to make sure everything is ship shape! 

The bug will bite and you can get a new bike from them down the line  :thumbup:

If you are open to this it is your best bet! 

Go into your nearest cycle shop and make friends, get your helmet and that from them and ask them to measure you up so you know exactly what size you need. After that, get your bike from the classifieds and ask them to do a once over to make sure everything is ship shape! 

The bug will bite and you can get a new bike from them down the line  :thumbup:

This sounds like a great idea... I have been browsing the classifieds for a few days now, but I might have to go get measured first

This sounds like a great idea... I have been browsing the classifieds for a few days now, but I might have to go get measured first

Yeah fit is first and foremost. Where exactly in PTA? Someone can let you know a respected shop in your area and they will take you under their wing. When you buy a bike you buy the shop.