Best entry level MTB

RossouwStevens

This sounds like a great idea... I have been browsing the classifieds for a few days now, but I might have to go get measured first

I have been very lucky to date with bikehub / gumtree purchases.  The one maybe was not precisely as the guy described it (ie that it was not ridden that often, yet the chain was already worn out).  But generally the bargains you get are great.  Especially if it is someone that is not offloading the bike to make a profit, but more because the seller...

1) bike is not being used and just gathering dust (kids have outgrown / bought for wife but not using it, etc.) 

2) Upgraded and want to carry forward the love of cycling to another.

3) selling it on behalf of a parents 

Someone selling on behalf of a friend.. for those I would be a bit more careful, because if something goes wrong it can be a big hassle.  Think there is a thread about buying second hand somewhere

I want to start riding and have a budget of about R8500 for a bike.

I was looking at the Giant Revel 29", GT Avalanche Sport 29" or the Scott Aspect 930.

Are these good choices? Anything else I should look at?

This is a topic that has been covered fairly extensive in the past. Maybe try a bit of google-fu for some more info.

How tall are you?

What type of riding are you looking to do?

Are you spellbound to 29-ers, or are you will to go for the best value for money bike regardless of wheel size?

Are you looking for dual-sus or hardtail?

If I were you, I would go for a decent spec secondhand bike, you get higher spec 2nd hand 26'ers at the moment for that price. But if you do a bit of searching you will even find the odd decent spec'ed dual sus for that.

Does anyone know if there are any worthwhile Black Friday specials on somewhere?

I am in Pretoria

Specials .... uhm ja .... stay around here a while and you will soon realise how well known shops ripps us a new one day after day, just to have specials every other day .....  (ja, gatvol na ek drie keer in n ry goed gekoop het om dit letterlik 48 uur later op special te sien .... )

And if you search a bit you will similar posts .... you may even find some pointing to prices being inflated the weeks before Black Friday .....

Point being - Make SURE you know the "standard price" before being something "on special".

And dont get fooled with RRP (recommended retail price) either ....

When you see an item "on special", just do a very quick Google .... See what Evobikes asks for the same item .... or any of the other on-line shops.

PS - been some very nasty experiences with AG online shop, for that matter with their physical shop in Paarl as well.  :(   You buy, you pay, and then some time later a story unfolds of your specific item is out of stock.  Friend even drove 100km to go pick up his stuff at the Paarl shop after verbal confirmation that his order was there and ready for pickup .... yea sure !!  Not sure how a totally different size shoe actually fulfills such an order.

hopefully the guys in your neck of the woods will give you a heads-up of the proper suppliers in your area.

And if you are not sure, just ask here.

For REAL specials - the cycling game is more fashion oriented than a teenage girl !!  :whistling:

Most of the yuppies have already pre-ordered their "2018" bikes ... not sure how it is a 2018 bike when it is sold and delivered with a few months of 2017 to go, but that is a different topic  :devil:

and thus shops MUST move their "old" 2017 stock .... some SERIOUS specials coming up !!  But for this you need to spend time in bike shops to figure out what you like, and what the actual prices are.  You need to be in shop to pick up these deals .... well, actually, Giant Durbanville had such a sale on this forum a few weeks back.

and off course ... as the yuppies satisfy their retail therapy urges, the second hand market has some damn good deals ....

Yeah fit is first and foremost. Where exactly in PTA? Someone can let you know a respected shop in your area and they will take you under their wing. When you buy a bike you buy the shop.

PTA East, quite a few nice looking shops around here... Already been to Cycle Lab, Hot Spot, Trailwolf and a few others.

I have been very lucky to date with bikehub / gumtree purchases.  The one maybe was not precisely as the guy described it (ie that it was not ridden that often, yet the chain was already worn out).  But generally the bargains you get are great.  Especially if it is someone that is not offloading the bike to make a profit, but more because the seller...

1) bike is not being used and just gathering dust (kids have outgrown / bought for wife but not using it, etc.) 

2) Upgraded and want to carry forward the love of cycling to another.

3) selling it on behalf of a parents 

Someone selling on behalf of a friend.. for those I would be a bit more careful, because if something goes wrong it can be a big hassle.  Think there is a thread about buying second hand somewhere

Thank you for the tips, will look out for this. One of the things I'm scared of is that I overlook something major when buying 2nd hand due to the fact that I do not know exactly what to look for.

This is a topic that has been covered fairly extensive in the past. Maybe try a bit of google-fu for some more info.

How tall are you?

What type of riding are you looking to do?

Are you spellbound to 29-ers, or are you will to go for the best value for money bike regardless of wheel size?

Are you looking for dual-sus or hardtail?

If I were you, I would go for a decent spec secondhand bike, you get higher spec 2nd hand 26'ers at the moment for that price. But if you do a bit of searching you will even find the odd decent spec'ed dual sus for that.

I am 1.7m.

Looking at going down some dirt roads, for now quite a bit tar.  Maybe trails down the line.

I would prefer a 29" simply due to the fact that it should be easier to sell if I look at the market currently, but at the end of the day I would not turn down a Mid spec 26" for a low spec 29"

Hardtail, but would love a dual-suspension if one comes along

I will definitely keep my eye on the classifieds and 2nd hand sections at shops, thank you.\

Specials .... uhm ja .... stay around here a while and you will soon realise how well known shops ripps us a new one day after day, just to have specials every other day .....  (ja, gatvol na ek drie keer in n ry goed gekoop het om dit letterlik 48 uur later op special te sien .... )

And if you search a bit you will similar posts .... you may even find some pointing to prices being inflated the weeks before Black Friday .....

Point being - Make SURE you know the "standard price" before being something "on special".

And dont get fooled with RRP (recommended retail price) either ....

When you see an item "on special", just do a very quick Google .... See what Evobikes asks for the same item .... or any of the other on-line shops.

PS - been some very nasty experiences with AG online shop, for that matter with their physical shop in Paarl as well.  :(   You buy, you pay, and then some time later a story unfolds of your specific item is out of stock.  Friend even drove 100km to go pick up his stuff at the Paarl shop after verbal confirmation that his order was there and ready for pickup .... yea sure !!  Not sure how a totally different size shoe actually fulfills such an order.

hopefully the guys in your neck of the woods will give you a heads-up of the proper suppliers in your area.

And if you are not sure, just ask here.

I will definitely do my research about prices before buying, even if a large flashing 50% discount sign is thrown in my face. I'm quite stingy :mellow:  thank you for the heads up!

For REAL specials - the cycling game is more fashion oriented than a teenage girl !!  :whistling:

Most of the yuppies have already pre-ordered their "2018" bikes ... not sure how it is a 2018 bike when it is sold and delivered with a few months of 2017 to go, but that is a different topic  :devil:

and thus shops MUST move their "old" 2017 stock .... some SERIOUS specials coming up !!  But for this you need to spend time in bike shops to figure out what you like, and what the actual prices are.  You need to be in shop to pick up these deals .... well, actually, Giant Durbanville had such a sale on this forum a few weeks back.

and off course ... as the yuppies satisfy their retail therapy urges, the second hand market has some damn good deals ....

:lol: :lol:  I noticed that a bunch of shops have specials on 2017 models, and due to being stingy I was never planning on going "2018" (atleast not in 2017)

I am 1,76m, and find that depending on brand I am either a Medium or Large frame

Many shops offer test rides.  Try out the different sizes to confirm if you want to go M or L.

PTA East, quite a few nice looking shops around here... Already been to Cycle Lab, Hot Spot, Trailwolf and a few others.

Wait for someone to suggest one of these and go there. Cyclelab is great once you know what you need but I would suggest a small shop. This is so you deal with the same few people all the time. 

I want to start riding and have a budget of about R8500 for a bike.

I was looking at the Giant Revel 29", GT Avalanche Sport 29" or the Scott Aspect 930.

Are these good choices? Anything else I should look at?

I'd say the GT Avalanche Sport. My second MTB was a GT Avalanche 3.0 26" and it gave me many happy miles of riding.

I am 1,76m, and find that depending on brand I am either a Medium or Large frame

Many shops offer test rides.  Try out the different sizes to confirm if you want to go M or L.

I will definitely get measured and test the different sizes before I buy! Thanks.