Titan Skyrim Range, yes or no?

bologniusmaximus

i would definitely go with the green one

green is always faster than grey or silver

Pffft *shakes head* must be a newbie, there is one and only one color that affects a bike's speed period [emoji41]

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pffft *shakes head* must be a newbie, there is one and only one color that affects a bike's speed period [emoji41]

To make it faster it has to be green.

But would be curious to know the colour that makes it go slower.... ;) 

• 1 month later...
Hey guys,

So I bought the Titan Elite 3 weeks ago and I am extremely happy with the bike :D . I will attempt to give you short review but remember this is coming from an advanced beginner level perspective.

Bike: Titan Elite (M)

Test track: Big Red Barn

Route: Blue/Green

Difficulty: Intermediate (no chicken runs taken) (31kms)

Number of rides on bike before review: 3

Bike standard as per manufacture specs with Tubeless conversion on stock tyres.

Being my first 27.5+ trail bike the first most pleasurable noticeable difference was the bigger fatter tyres, 27+, 2.8. It is such a beauty, you roller over everything and it just feels so grippy and comfortable in the rough dirt, loose sand, puddles, rock… basically everything beside tar feels good. I also found it very nimble and did not miss my 26” tyres in the tight spots at all. The next thing I notice is the geometry of the bike… took me like 5 mins to get used to it… it feels very intuitive and sort of balances your weigh on the bike for you in the crazy corners, drops, decents and even the climbs feel very good (I guess this is what is referred to as a “forgiving bike”). The frame works well with the suspension to keep the wheels on the ground when you need it and for when you don’t . Also the feedback is enough so that you still feel connected but not too much where you feel as if you are being thrown around and out of control.

Some cons that are not real cons, coming from a hard tail… I have been hitting my pedal every now and then on the new bike. I spoke to some other people that transitioned from hard tail to soft tail and they have had the similar issue. But on my third ride I have seemed to have gotten much better with not hitting the pedals. It just takes little bit of skill that you need to learn and then you will be fine. Now this is not actually a con, because it has to do more with rider skill… BUT because the shock is not the very high end one… it has two settings, open and close. I have seen online vids where some shocks have 3 settings and the middle setting helps with not decompressing the shock too much for the rock areas that need heaving pedaling so in theory you should not hit the pedals easily. But just learn some skill… I think it is easier than having to switch modes on shock while on a ride. Oh, while on the shock… I have it set to 25% sag.

Another con… this bike is not exactly light… but this was not so much of a factor for me. (I still need to weight it but it feels like 13kgs to 14kgs)

A con for some… the bike looks heavy/butch/strong. This is not a nimble frame with narrow and thin bars… anywhere. (I like it … I call her my Big Green Tail Machine)

The overall look and feel of the bike is brilliant. So funky and modern! – Time will tell it if is a timeless look though. Also overall, I feel this is great value for money. Don’t underestimate having the dropper post in at that price of the bike… and it makes a world of a difference. So much that I would never be able to do without it now. I’m am extremely happy with my purchase and I have not even had an inch of a second thought on it. I am absolutely smitten by this bike and I just can’t wait to take it out again and again!

I would also like to mention Wayne from Bike Addict from whom I got exceptional service! Very patient with all my questions and super helpful. He threw in free tubeless conversion, water bottle and socks! Freaking A!!!  :thumbup:

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any new feedback on the skyrim after a few weeks riding?

I also ended up getting the Elite and I love the bike. I have done about 10 hours on it in different trails and roads around Gauteng.

I agree with all Shavz's comments in his review above although I have not had much issues with pedal strikes and I also ride with 25% sag on the rear suspension. It is on the heavier side though and mine weighs in at just over 14kg after I upgraded the stock pedals to DMR flats. The weight doesn't bother me however because firstly I do not rode XC or anything more than 20km at a time. Secondly this is the first mountain bike I bought since high school which was long before anyone dreamt of putting suspensuon on any kond of bike so I really do not know any better.

I have managed some pretty hairy sections of single track on this bike without issues. Nothing has come loose and haven't busted anything on it yet. Tires grip well, it is very maneuverable and I do not have issues getting over obstacles like roots or stumps.

Also I put my two year old son on it on a star seat and it still handles loke a charm. I have only taken him on road though and we are going to attempt a trail together tomorrow so hopefully it works just as well off road with the seat and the extra weight.

All in all I love it and would recommend it to anyobe who is not too worried about weight.

I also ended up getting the Elite and I love the bike. I have done about 10 hours on it in different trails and roads around Gauteng.

I agree with all Shavz's comments in his review above although I have not had much issues with pedal strikes and I also ride with 25% sag on the rear suspension. It is on the heavier side though and mine weighs in at just over 14kg after I upgraded the stock pedals to DMR flats. The weight doesn't bother me however because firstly I do not rode XC or anything more than 20km at a time. Secondly this is the first mountain bike I bought since high school which was long before anyone dreamt of putting suspensuon on any kond of bike so I really do not know any better.

I have managed some pretty hairy sections of single track on this bike without issues. Nothing has come loose and haven't busted anything on it yet. Tires grip well, it is very maneuverable and I do not have issues getting over obstacles like roots or stumps.

Also I put my two year old son on it on a star seat and it still handles loke a charm. I have only taken him on road though and we are going to attempt a trail together tomorrow so hopefully it works just as well off road with the seat and the extra weight.

All in all I love it and would recommend it to anyobe who is not too worried about weight.

Just be careful with your little one on trails. I'm sure you will be, but we've had some nasty accidents here at Giba involving toddlers on bikes.

About the bike, I'd say a good test for it would be the new downhill track at Harties. I've done the trail on my bike and more or less got to the bottom in one piece.

The bike weighs a bit more due to the wheels. If you put normal wheels on I am sure it'll drop a bit. But you will lose the grip.

Just be careful with your little one on trails. I'm sure you will be, but we've had some nasty accidents here at Giba involving toddlers on bikes.

About the bike, I'd say a good test for it would be the new downhill track at Harties. I've done the trail on my bike and more or less got to the bottom in one piece.

The bike weighs a bit more due to the wheels. If you put normal wheels on I am sure it'll drop a bit. But you will lose the grip.

Thanks yeah we are taking it very slow and sticking to the easy portions of beginner tracks.

I watched a video of the DH at Harties and it is most definitely above my skill level for now for now.

I got the comp one and have done, spruit, red barn and cradel.Very happy with a starter bike and must be honest at the moment my fitness levels is bad so even on a 50k plus bike it would not have made a difference to me.Only reason for the comp and not elite is wanting to have a 1 x groupset and not 2 x like the elite model.One can also upgrade parts as you go on and improve.So far very happy and going to do Harties soon to.

I got the comp one and have done, spruit, red barn and cradel.Very happy with a starter bike and must be honest at the moment my fitness levels is bad so even on a 50k plus bike it would not have made a difference to me.Only reason for the comp and not elite is wanting to have a 1 x groupset and not 2 x like the elite model.One can also upgrade parts as you go on and improve.So far very happy and going to do Harties soon to.

Once you do Harties let us know how it went.

The comp would have been my first choice as well.

How wide is the handlebar? I've grown used to my 800 wide bar now.

I would probably upgrade the suspension first on that bike. Then tyres. Brakes. Should be golden after that.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

14kg, not bad, my scott Genius weighs, just shy of 15kg with dropper post and pedals.

2 months with my Skyrim Elite

After moving down to Cape Town from Johannesburg, I was not prepared for the gnarly terrain the Cape has to offer. It was quite clear that my 100mm XC bike was not going to cut the mustard. The big issue is that you need to shell out a lot  of $$$$ for long travel bikes. Thats why I jumped at the opportunity to trade my Merida Big 99 in for a the new Titan Skyrim Elite, and I haven’t looked back since

PRO:

1. The bike is pretty well spec’d. The 2x11 XT group set has a wide enough range for a easy spin up to the top and lot of range for bombing it down the hill
  2. All though the bike came with 2.8 tyres I found it hard to find 2.8 so I put on 2.6. The extra volume can be felt immediately with the pus size tyres. Loads of grip and I actually didn’t really notice the extra rolling resistance. The Duroc 30 rims are also pretty nice. Not top end but they do the job and come with a kind of rubber type insert so no more tape needed
  3. The bike climbs like goat and descends like a perigean falcon in beast mode. The extra travel really makes all the difference. The recon upfront is more than adequate , sure it not a super high end fork and the small bump sensitivity is not the best. But you quickly forget about that when you are bombing it down The Cobra at Hoegies. I did have a bit of trouble dealing in the shock. 
  4. Internal routing - the internal routing looks great and actually neatens all your cable work out nicely
  5. The short chain stays make the bike really nimble and easy to throw around.
  6. Definitely an eye catcher at the local enduros - even though the price is on point, not very many people seem to be riding them, so I always seem to have nice chats with people when they are surprised that my beast is intact a Titan
  7. The price -  for a pretty decent entry level enduro/trail bike the price was spot on. Its advertise to retail at R30 999 but I picked one up at the Cycle Factory for a discount at R23 999- Bargain
  8. It can take 2 bottles although I wouldn’t recommend putting one on the down tube

Cons

1. Would be nice if Titan offered more frame colours for the different price points- although I love the green, I had my eye set on the gun metal but they Elite only comes in green
  2. Dropper - pretty nice to get a dropper at this price point , however for a large frame and a tall dude like me the 100mm drop just isn’t enough. The control is also pretty useless, I changed mine for a Lezyne control.
  3. The grips are not great, but I suppose that standard for most bikes
  4. The Shimano M315 brakes just don’t cut it. They just are not powerful enough and seem have two modes of modulation , on or off. I have not upgrade one thing on the bike ( except for the tyres but I will get to that), however as soon as I can I plan on upgrading the brakes, either to XT or Magura trails.
  5. The tyres are advertised as tubeless ready, THEY ARE NOT. The side walls are paper thin , I didn’t even attempt to seat them so I just upgrade to Maxxis Recon, which are actually awesome
  6. The bottom bracket is pretty low, and I definitely have more regular pedal trikes, but I see this as an opportunity to improve my skills
  7. Reach- for a large frame I would of like a bit more reach, I don’t feel uncomfortable or anything, just sometimes feel like I’m far forward 
  8. The plus size tyres caused a bit of problems with my platform rack, they were too wide for the channel, and the traps where not long enough to go round but I fix this with some velcro 

Conclusion: 

If you are thinking about buying one DO IT. My suffering to enjoyment ratio has improved drastically and I am just getting better and better at riding. This bike can do it all, I’ve done XC races road rides and enduros on this beast and it has not let me down once.

If you want to hit the local Cape Town trails with me and try it out let me know

• 8 months later...

I treated myself to a Skryrim Comp end November, they where clearing stock so got it at a bargain, the specs/parts was more than what I paid for the bike! At the end of the day I bought the bike because there where no other trail bikes that where specced nearly the same within R10k of what I paid and the general concensus on the Hub was that the frame was not k@k.

To be clear, I am by no means a great rider. I was looking for an entry level trail bike that allowed me to attempt lines that I could not do with my XC bike that was not going to break the bank. It does however stil ride very comfortably on longer rides once I got the suspension dialed in (get a suspension pump, it is worth it)

I LOVE THE BIKE, for an entry level Trail rider it is ample. Over the December break I took it all over the Central Drakensberg, doing lines I would never have dreamt of before. I tend to bite off more than I can chew (only one way of improving IMO), the bike has held up perfectly to the insane amount of bails/abuse I have put it through. One of the rides was a helibiking trip with WildsideExplore where we went to scout possible new lines/trails; apart from my lack of skills the bike did amazingly well.

Some personal opinion Pros:

• Price
  • Brilliant entry level trail bike
  • Internal cable routing means cables don't get snagged when I bulldoze trees and shrubs next to the trail  :ph34r:
  • The Specs are way better that what you would get on any other bike for the same price
  • 5 year warranty (not lifetime, but good enough for me)
  • No need to change anything out of the box - maybe tyres if you ride trails that get wet
  • The Skyrim Comp looks awesome in it's metallic grey color

Some personal opinion Cons:

• Like many have said before, the front fork could be better, but for my skill levels, it is ample!
  • The fork's remote lockout is a waste, would have preferred if it was on the suspension though (but I am nit-picking)
  • The compound of the stock tyres is very hard, in the wet, rocky sections of the Drakensberg I struggled with traction, nor do they shed sticky mud well - softer/stickier tyres helped when I changed them out.

On a side note, as this was problem I encountered due to the LBS I got the bike from; the dropper post on my bike was installed horribly: upside down, on the wrong side and cable pinched/frayed. Eventually one of the cable strands snapped after a few rides causing the seatpost to not lock into position; changing out the cable was dead simple and cheap.

I absolutely love the bike! I could not have asked for more at what I paid.

FYI to any people that are interested in the Skyrim, the stock tyres that you get with the bike appears to be the same tyre as the Chaoyang Hornet 27.5X2.8"... I cant confirm this, but the tread looks exactly the same, even the print on the sidewall is the same. If it looks like a cow, smells like a cow it must be a donkey... 

There is a thread on here where people rate them highly... Me not so much though...

IMG_4843.jpg

http://www.chaoyangtire.com/upload/2015/11/23/144827799735y9kxv.png