Can I use a 38-24 combination on a SLX FC M7000 11x2 Crank?

Martman

Standard combinations

34-24

36-26

38-28

I have 11-42 cassette

Edited by mdfourie@telkomsa.net

Have a 10x XT version and use both the 38/26 and the 38/24 crank sets coupled with a 11-36 cassette with zero issues. Can't see why not.

Tell us what you are trying to achieve? You looking for a setup with high top end speed that will climb a vertical wall?

The no-level 2x10 I had before going 1x11 was 36-22 so you should not have a problem.

I honestly think you will have all you need with a 36-26 with the 11-42!

36 - 11 should easily give you around 50+km/h on a flat...on a 29r

26 - 42 is also plenty for climbing

Edited by Mr lee

Tell us what you are trying to achieve? You looking for a setup with high top end speed that will climb a vertical wall?

You sir, have won the internet today :clap: :clap:

Standard combinations

34-24

36-26

38-28

I have 11-42 cassette

Simple answer no ,

10 speed had different size FD cage so it worked but in 11 speed they made the cage shorter so its can only handle a 10 tooth drop on the front, 

it will not pickup well from the small blade as the chain wont line up with the inner pickups as well as the chain will drag over the bottom end of the FD cage when in the small blade and lower down on the cassette .

However its worth a try .

Simple answer no ,

10 speed had different size FD cage so it worked but in 11 speed they made the cage shorter so its can only handle a 10 tooth drop on the front, 

it will not pickup well from the small blade as the chain wont line up with the inner pickups as well as the chain will drag over the bottom end of the FD cage when in the small blade and lower down on the cassette .

However its worth a try .

Thought there was a reason why but could not figure it out  ;)  and it makes sense.

He might get away with it if he uses an older and longer cage derailleur....if it works great, if not let us know but why mess around? Just use as intended to avoid the frustration  :D  

The no-level 2x10 I had before going 1x11 was 36-22 so you should not have a problem.

I honestly think you will have all you need with a 36-26 with the 11-42!

36 - 11 should easily give you around 50+km/h on a flat...on a 29r

26 - 42 is also plenty for climbing

Just used to 3x10 set-up. the36-26 with 11-42 too slow on the downhills and too little control on the heavy long climbs.

Just used to 3x10 set-up. the36-26 with 11-42 too slow on the downhills and too little control on the heavy long climbs.

Well then you need to stay with 3x10 if it is that big a problem....otherwise you will need to come to a compromise. What bike do you have any what is your weight? 

Well then you need to stay with 3x10 if it is that big a problem....otherwise you will need to come to a compromise. What bike do you have and what is your weight

:thumbup:  is the question you have to answer.

Being a big guy myself, I preferred the 2x 38/24. Will really have to thin(k) carefully on a 1x set-up.  :whistling:

I run 2x11 with a 24-38. Works fine with a 2x10 front derailleur and 2x10 crank.

Reckon you will definitely need to change the FD.

A question, can you get your hands on those chai rings individually or must you buy as a pair?

Well then you need to stay with 3x10 if it is that big a problem....otherwise you will need to come to a compromise. What bike do you have any what is your weight? 

Nou ja toe, comprimise it will be. 81

As long as you have enough gears for climbing with the selected ratio's you will be fine. Use the down hills for resting so you can give it horns on the next uphill  :D

I am 116kg's and don't need to peddle on the down hills as gravity gives me all the speed I need.

My top speed on my MTB at the 947 was 70KM/H  :w00t: and that was just free-wheeling from the top of whatever hill!

Obviously I needed to bend down and tuck-in as much as possible because my long body creates loads of drag which acts like an air-brake. I even passed a few roadies that were peddling  :P