2017 Stellenbosch Cycle Tour

LeoKnight

What fun was that race. For sure more enjoyable than hectic heat or stormy wind.

Had a puncture at Wemmershoek which did impact the available groups, but did enjoy putting in some time out front on my mtb with a bunch of roadies behind me.

on another point my Garmin 520 totally messed up on the total ascent, seems that everyone is lying to us and the route ia just 540m climbing with a very flat second part.

My garmin also got stuck at same places...due to weather i guess...

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive never seen so much riders puncturing before..almost every km there were a rider fixing a tyre..

Is it due to worn tyres or just plain bad luck... it was hectic out there with all the water on the surface of the road.. glasses was useless and eyes were burning....well i made it back safe...was a great race...

How did the dry race go for you [emoji1] Just kidding!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Ja right! Famous last words. It is as if the weather gods was waiting to teach me a lesson. In the start chute I took off my rain jacket and put it into my back pocket. And then 30 secs before we were about to start, the rain came. So I quickly put it back on.

And then from Blou Meul it just got worse and worse. 

I was aiming for a 3h30, but got a 3h37, beating last year's time only by 9 minutes. A wee bit disappointed.

On Hels I climbed faster than most of my 3E group, and on the downhill and the way to Franschhoek found myself in no man's land between 3E and 3D. It was only after the turnoff to Paarl that a massive group with 3E - 3B riders formed.

Mini Savage rode a 2h48. He says he had the legs to go faster but he was nervous in the groups with the wet weather and he has no experience yet with wet riding and how the brakes react. So he got dropped 2 or 3 times.

Edited by Moridin

What fun was that race. For sure more enjoyable than hectic heat or stormy wind.

Had a puncture at Wemmershoek which did impact the available groups, but did enjoy putting in some time out front on my mtb with a bunch of roadies behind me.

on another point my Garmin 520 totally messed up on the total ascent, seems that everyone is lying to us and the route ia just 540m climbing with a very flat second part.

According to most (also my Fenix 3) has total ascent around 885 give or take.... Nowhere near the 1000m plus they advertised. But your 540m doesn't seem accurate

Really glad I didnt get caught in any of these crashes! Fortunately I think they must have happened behind me.

That final left hander is always a problem (from my meager 2 races experience), saw one guy crash about 100m ahead of me, luckily no collateral, then after taking the corner heard that gut wrenching sound of carbon hitting tar. 

First time racing in the rain as well, all in all not a bad experience

On a different note.. Anyone notice that the timing racetec sent out was not 100% accurate... Mine was out by almost a minute based on the SMS they sent

Also heard one or two others complain at finish... Not a biggie as it was difference between 2:45 or 2:46... Just wandering

On a different note.. Anyone notice that the timing racetec sent out was not 100% accurate... Mine was out by almost a minute based on the SMS they sent

Also heard one or two others complain at finish... Not a biggie as it was difference between 2:45 or 2:46... Just wandering

Mine as well. But if everyone’s is a minute out it doesn’t matter

Started late in 2H and then the rain came on Hels. Had a fairly decent group with some very twitchy rider's at times. After Wellington it was time to put the hammer down and push home. Apparently there was a big crash also in reminence of our group before N1. Power and speed is nothing without control. Rained all the way back to finish but my legs welcomed the cooling effect as they were screaming at me. Just slipped in under 3 hours thankfully. 

Nice,fast and wet. I had a puncture on the R44. Did not check my bomb before hand. Turned out being used. A big Thank You to the lady from 2G that stopped to give me a bomb.

Nice,fast and wet. I had a puncture on the R44. Did not check my bomb before hand. Turned out being used. A big Thank You to the lady from 2G that stopped to give me a bomb.

Really enjoyed the ride today. Hung on to a few groups for most of the way and we were flying until a buddy punctured. Gatorskin.

Mine is also out by about a minute to a minute and a half.

I did just on 2 hr 36 min according to my Garmin. Racetec sent sms with provisional time of 2 hr 37 min 30 secs.

What you talking about... you didn't even ride! ????

You dont need to ride to know why roadies dont wear rain jackets..lol

Its common sense to maintain the power the weight ratio ????

I have a doctors letter so iam excused today.

Edited by Malpiet