2017 Stellenbosch Cycle Tour

LeoKnight

Results online now match my gps, 2min faster than sms

Bettered my time by about 7min.. Left all out there, happy with result.

Edit: cant count

Edited by Karman de Lange

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On a different note.. Anyone notice that the timing racetec sent out was not 100% accurate... Mine was out by almost a minute based on the SMS they sent

Also heard one or two others complain at finish... Not a biggie as it was difference between 2:45 or 2:46... Just wandering

Yep the message they sent me was out by two minutes but I see its correct on racetec. What a race! Conditions were initially perfect with a refreshing slight drizzle but coming home boy boy oh did we get wet! Thankfully survived the wet and a very tender hammy that was so close to pulling stiff. Thanks to the race organisers and especially the marshalls for braving those conditions.

You dont need to ride to know why roadies dont wear rain jackets..lol

Its common sense to maintain the power the weight ratio

I have a doctors letter so iam excused today.

Strafdop vir jou. 

Performance was not my best, that was in 2014, but it was my 2nd best out of 7 and one helluva nice funride.

Glad my only issue was the dropped chain and nothing serious.

The problem with that N1 bridge is the bumps in the road cause by trucks turning right onto the N1. You hit those bumps at speed on a bike and disaster follows.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Yep the message they sent me was out by two minutes but I see its correct on racetec. What a race! Conditions were initially perfect with a refreshing slight drizzle but coming home boy boy oh did we get wet! Thankfully survived the wet and a very tender hammy that was so close to pulling stiff. Thanks to the race organisers and especially the marshalls for braving those conditions.

Both my hammies pulled tight on the last 500m. A women came past me from my start batch and I decided oh no you are not going to beat me. As I put down power both hammies just decided to quit in unison. Watched the women disappear down the road and over the line.  :eek:  :blush:

Edited by Moridin

Performance was not my best, that was in 2014, but it was my 2nd best out of 7 and one helluva nice funride.

Glad my only issue was the dropped chain and nothing serious.

The problem with that N1 bridge is the bumps in the road cause by trucks turning right onto the N1. You hit those bumps at speed on a bike and disaster follows.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I see full gas racing captured the 2a/b? crash at N1 bridge, was right were that citi golf was parked in yellow lane. Edited by Karman de Lange

Was doing ok, until I hit a pothole in klapmuts. At the 4way stop so just after the railway bridge, ie. Downhill and fast. Belting with rain so no way to see the puddle was deep!

Got a rear flat, and joined the other 4 guys also fixing their tyres from the same thing. There was an ambulance for rudder who wiped from it too.

That's when the fun started. Gooied a tube in but clearly didn't pump it up enough as about 3 Kms later I got a snake bite. Ever tried patching a tube in the rain? I had to get really creative to get it to work eventually

Anyway, was still lekker fun riding in the rain, no one was really complaining with the drought we're in. An honest day out

Due to the really rough week, started in $, ended up in grupetto and then worked like a dog with my boet and 3 Aurecon riders to get back to the front of the race. So many fruit cakes wanting to sit third wheel the whole time and not pull through to the front.

To the person that I told to do a turn on the front, rotate off and then sell your bike. I meant it. Go do golf.

Avoided all the accidents, best Burger in 3 years.

Also happy to say our secret donater paid for 3 junior riders entries!! Gunners are awesome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Pure Savage

There must have been a few very wet and cold marshalls out today, big kudos for them as it could not have been pleasant.  

Even the photographers had to take serious measures, and the spot near Warwick was in their car with floormats over the windows to keep most of the rain out. 

I see full gas racing captured the 2a/b? crash at N1 bridge, was right were that citi golf was parked in yellow lane.

Link?

Hope the oke who came off right at the bottom of Hells as we turned right is ok?? Saw him on a stretcher in the ambulance... People slowing down to look and turning around to look also dont make life easy...

That being said, My result is not up, never got the sms... I crossed the line alone, never heard the "beep", So not sure why it never picked up..

So qu, Do I just send my Garmin file to racetec and ask them to upload?

Edited by FootballingCyclist

Was wet, wet and fast... Some nasty crashes in big peloton comprising groups 1c - 2A. Especially near the N1 crossing on R44. Hoping everyone is OK

Got caught up in this, don't know how it initiated but a big bunch in the pissing rain and a lot of people went down.  Brakes were worth **** at that point and thought I had done my best Sagan impression and got through and then a guy went down next to me, his head hit my right foot and that was wheels sideways.  Spent about 10 minutes getting people to side of the road and sorted, looked like a few torn AC's and a broken wrist plus lots of roasties, then pulled myself towards myself, panel beat the brakes and carried on. Was a pretty grim 20km time trial in, didn't even pause at the race end, just kept going for a hot shower.  Managed to get away with minor cuts and bruises, but suspect the morning is going to be painful.

I only have about 2 gels a year when I get things wrong, but they are pretty damn good for staving off adrenalin come downs  :blink:  Hope folks heal up well and no more serious damage.

My race report:

For some reason, I have never aspired to doing this race before. Somehow its name of “Die Burger” (as it used to be known) and its common description as simply a seeding race for the “bigger and better” Argus never appealed to me. But, we did need a seeding race for Argus as well as a bit of incentive to keep up the fitness we worked so hard to achieve for S2C. Little did I realise that this race takes you through some of the most beautiful county side in our region!

The training has not been going very well as life gets crazy busy this time of year. In the 2 weeks leading up to the race my behind only touched saddle twice and then it was only on the IDT for a quick 40minute episode of my new favourite series.

I knew I was underprepared, but to be honest I didn’t care. Life has been so hectic that I was just looking forward to being able to spend some time on the road with both bike and husband and forget about everything for a bit . There was a moment this morning where I realised that I think I can now officially call myself a cyclist. Before today I just considered myself someone who had a bike and who’s husband conned me into riding it every now and then!. Not only was I up at 5am (I don’t do mornings) but I was up in the rain at 5am and despite knowing that I was horribly unfit, still eager as ever to tackle a 97km day on the road.

Now I know we have to appreciate the rain in this drought but for an entire 97km??!!! But I do have to admit that despite not being able to see much though my rain spattered glasses, I loved every minute! There were times that I raced along the wet tarmac feeling like a kid on a BMX!

We took Helshoogte nice and easy and then it was easy going until Wellington. Uphill number two was more manageable that expected but we still had a few heavy rollers to come. The hot weather really sucks the life out of me so apart from my knees threatening to throw in the towel on a few of the final uphills , I was really grateful for the cool weather. Heck, after my Sani Day3 hypothermia today felt mild! The scenery was gorgeous, the road surfaces were great and the marshals were fantastic. Even after a day in the cold and rain, they still had a song and a cheer to congratulate us back markers .

Coming in at 5hr20 I have no doubt that if today was hot and windy I would not be one medal richer but next year I will be sure to be fitter so that I can finish the race no matter the weather.  And yes, there will most certainly be a next year!  Medihelp  Stellenbosch Cycle Tour –Thanks for a great day in the saddle!

Edited by MrsSlowbee