Mtb Oval vs round chain ring?

rogerdias

Dual or hardtail? I don't believe that an oval makes any sense on a dual. Your position changes as the shock compresses and any benefit might well be lost.

But then again I might be wrong and you will love the oval.

Dual or hardtail? I don't believe that an oval makes any sense on a dual. Your position changes as the shock compresses and any benefit might well be lost.

I've used it on both.  It's just as good no matter the suspension.

The seat position doesn't move relative to the bb so your riding position won't change (this might not be true for some very funky suspension designs but should hold true generally)

I have to disagree with this...ah wait, Jehosefat beat me to it.

Edited by Christofison

calm down ladies... I openly conceded that I might be wrong but then again you might also be wrong. until I see some science (on a dual sus) for me this is another "snake oil".

calm down ladies... I openly conceded that I might be wrong but then again you might also be wrong. until I see some science (on a dual sus) for me this is another "snake oil".

I don't think it's your opinion on oval they're concerned about - it's your lack of understanding of how dual suspension works that they commenting on  :eek:

The (theoretical) science behind oval is related to the crank position in pedal stroke. Suspension movement has zero effect on this.

I have an oval on my dual suspension trail bike, and round ring on my hardtail (had a spare round when building the bike hence not going oval). Although I like oval, it is NOT a game changer, and will not turn you into Lance (that's what EPO is for). 

Where I do feel a difference is on slow, rocky, technical climbs. I find I can turn the pedals slightly easier, and that translates to smoother power, and better traction. Other than in the aforementioned situation, I do not find an oval ring to be any better or worse than a round one. 

I have also ridden oval on both dual suspensions and hard tails - suspension has no effect on the advantages of an oval ring.

The chain rings "oval" changes with YOUR feet so you always have the biggest part at YOUR powerstroke. 

What "science" would you need to see?

Activation of the rear suspension only moves the wheel and rear triangle relative to the rest of the bike. Pedaling position is determined by the position of the seat relative to the bb. Since these two are joined by the seatpost (which does not bend or compress any material amount) it is not possible for the pedaling position to change due to suspension activation.