[Event] 99er Cycle Tour 2018

Halfdoesyn

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure how accurate / valid the comment was that was made at the PPA race this morning, but it appears that those that did not enjoy the N7 bit, won't need to ride it again in future.  There appear to have been to many riders breaking across the white line, and the authorities have informed the PPA that they don't need to apply again in future as permission will not be given.

Think this might also impact any Southern Subs races, due to the width of the roads there, the number of participants, the extent to which traffic has significantly increased in the last few years, even if there was a will, I doubt they will get to see a long race ever again there.

well that sucks. 

i enjoyed the roll down the N7, it let me catch my breath before taking on Vissershok. those chops who crossed the line should have been disqualified/named and shamed/sanctioned.

Rolling in $

The white wall was well respected as far as I could see

Conditions were calm with no need for echelons

Surprising news

Edited by 'Dale

is there any opinion on which groups generally misbehaves the most (talking about the ones where they pretend that are still racing for positions, dangerous tactics, closing gaps for others, all talk but not willing to work outfront till the end where they sprint)

Edited by LeoKnight

Not sure how accurate / valid the comment was that was made at the PPA race this morning, but it appears that those that did not enjoy the N7 bit, won't need to ride it again in future.  There appear to have been to many riders breaking across the white line, and the authorities have informed the PPA that they don't need to apply again in future as permission will not be given.

Think this might also impact any Southern Subs races, due to the width of the roads there, the number of participants, the extent to which traffic has significantly increased in the last few years, even if there was a will, I doubt they will get to see a long race ever again there.

A bit odd to hear? Fast downhill with tailwind, can't imagine many people crossed the white line.

Maybe the idea was that everyone should stick left of the yellow line? That obviously didn't happen in the front groups.

is there any opinion on which groups generally misbehaves the most (talking about the ones where they pretend that are still racing for positions, dangerous tactics, closing gaps for others, all talk but not willing to work outfront till the end where they sprint)

B group. Always a difficult group to get out. Workers are the same every race and 1km before the end you see people in your group for the first time. A group race for position, time does not matter. B ride to get into A, for that they must work together, but there are a very few times in my live that that happened.

B group. Always a difficult group to get out. Workers are the same every race and 1km before the end you see people in your group for the first time. A group race for position, time does not matter. B ride to get into A, for that they must work together, but there are a very few times in my live that that happened.

I didn't observe this behaviour in B group at that point. They dropped me on the N7 and I had to work my a$$ off with one other chaser to catch them by the time the climb started, so I was well positioned to observe the group. (I probably wasn't strong enough for B, but finished just inside the top half in the end). There certainly was some white line crossing and elbowing when C merged from behind, but that wasn't on the N7.

Where I have seen major issues with white line crossing is actually much further back. Raced One Tonner from one of the last groups and was appalled at the way the backmarkers are swerving all over the place. Quite often they basically forced you to overtake them on the left, even when politely asking them to move across. As the field spreads out they are also far less likely to encounter a marshal to correct the bad behaviour.

I've seen plenty of guys get warned by marshals, but neve an actual DQ. Whereas at triathlons I've seen plenty of penalties and DQs handed out. Do marshals take race numbers and have guys warned or DQd later? Would this make any difference?

They sure worked hard to keep the right side of the bunch safe at 99er, I have no criticism for the actual marshalling done by both stationary and motorbike officials. I just wonder if some punitive measures wouldn't perhaps help decrease the violations.

It is a fine line for sure, if they start disqualifying racers they will be branded as overreaching, but if they dont participants wont stick to the rules and just say well it was safe when they did it.

Did think the ideal would be for them to have cameras mounted on their helmets or bikes which can serve as proof of bad behaviour

I didn't observe this behaviour in B group at that point. They dropped me on the N7 and I had to work my a$$ off with one other chaser to catch them by the time the climb started, so I was well positioned to observe the group. (I probably wasn't strong enough for B, but finished just inside the top half in the end). There certainly was some white line crossing and elbowing when C merged from behind, but that wasn't on the N7.

Where I have seen major issues with white line crossing is actually much further back. Raced One Tonner from one of the last groups and was appalled at the way the backmarkers are swerving all over the place. Quite often they basically forced you to overtake them on the left, even when politely asking them to move across. As the field spreads out they are also far less likely to encounter a marshal to correct the bad behaviour.

I've seen plenty of guys get warned by marshals, but neve an actual DQ. Whereas at triathlons I've seen plenty of penalties and DQs handed out. Do marshals take race numbers and have guys warned or DQd later? Would this make any difference?

They sure worked hard to keep the right side of the bunch safe at 99er, I have no criticism for the actual marshalling done by both stationary and motorbike officials. I just wonder if some punitive measures wouldn't perhaps help decrease the violations.

Sorry, should have mentioned b seeding group for ppa.

A bit odd to hear? Fast downhill with tailwind, can't imagine many people crossed the white line.

Maybe the idea was that everyone should stick left of the yellow line? That obviously didn't happen in the front groups.

Yip, I think it is the yellow line.

Yesterday,during the PPA ride, a marshall on a motorbike became quite agitated when she instructed a rider to stay inside the yellow line and he then tried to explain the necessity of forming an echelon in crosswind conditions to her while she was riding next to him.

Although his explanation was pretty accurate she was not impressed and dismissed it with a rather angry and very irritated : " I am now telling you to stay inside that line"   :P

Inside the yellow line or the middle white one yesterday?

Yesterday,during the PPA ride, a marshall on a motorbike became quite agitated when she instructed a rider to stay inside the yellow line and he then tried to explain the necessity of forming an echelon in crosswind conditions to her while she was riding next to him.

Although his explanation was pretty accurate she was not impressed and dismissed it with a rather angry and very irritated : " I am now telling you to stay inside that line"   :P

Agreed...  When doing the N7 bit we had the marshal next to us asking everyone to stay in the YELLOW line...