basic front wheel life problems

Anine

Hi all

I'm practicing the basic front wheel lift after a skills clinic with ride like a girl.

I ride a 26er hard tail, good quality flat pedals.

start in ready position, attack position, load, explode. pull back on handlebars, weight shifted back, up goes the  wheel.

I get quite a bit of lift, but not straight up. I cant seem to keep the handlebars level, so handlebars and wheel twist in the air, and landing is wobbly.

halp!

Hi all

I'm practicing the basic front wheel lift after a skills clinic with ride like a girl.

start in ready position, attack position, load, explode. pull back on handlebars, weight shifted back, up goes the  wheel.

I get quite a bit of lift, but not straight up. I cant seem to keep the handlebars level, so handlebars and wheel twist in the air, and landing is wobbly.

halp!

Definitely not an expert, but I think this may be your problem .."pull back on the handlebars". You should just be sliding your weight backwards. When you pull up with your arms, you don't always pull either side up evenly, and your bars won't be level.

Hi all

halp!

Are you going for a wheely or a manual?

On the manual, which it seems you're describing, try focus less on pulling on the bars and more on weight transfer. Weight behind the seat as far back as possible. This will then in turn create a rotating effect and cause the front wheel to come up much higher.

As for twisting of the front wheel: This is usually caused by uneven power exertion on the bars, as you pull less on the bars and use your body more this will cure itself to a large extent.

Dodgy landings: Do not fall forward, focus on a controlled descent, this will prevent the whiplash effect.

EXCELLENT video, thank you so much.

I'll need to saw off some seat post so I can drop my saddle. I think thats half my my problem, seat not low enough

just remember to not bend your arms and bring the bike towards you

and push inwards with you ankles

I learn't by putting a piece of wood on the ground and hitting it to get the wheel to pop up,

then tried without it and was a lot easier

or practice the pop over a roller that also helps

oh yeah and keep your finger on the back brake incase you go a bit to far

just remember to not bend your arms and bring the bike towards you

and push inwards with you ankles

I learn't by putting a piece of wood on the ground and hitting it to get the wheel to pop up,

then tried without it and was a lot easier

or practice the pop over a roller that also helps

oh yeah and keep your finger on the back brake incase you go a bit to far

Solid advice

dropper post =  :o  :eek:  :wacko:  :blink:  moola

Some are expensive but a worthwhile purchase if your seat gets in your way and you enjoy playing on your bike. Check out Lyne, great value for money.

https://www.on-lynecomponents.com/collections/dropper-posts 

Regarding the Front wheel lift.

When you "Pull up on the bar" try think about it as hanging from your shoulders, don't pull with your hands, your one arm will always pull harder than the other which will pull your bike to the side. As Mongooser said, keep your arms straight.

• 1 year later...

Good advice above. I find most people who are battling with getting the front wheel up aren't starting off in the correct position. That is, they are attempting to move their weight back from the attack position without loading up the front of the bike properly.

So try this: from the attack position, bend elbows and knees simultaneously so that you bring your chest over the bars. Arms and legs straighten as you go backwards just like on a rowing machine. Make sure that your knees bend forwards, as they straighten you are pushing down through the pedals and rolling the bike out in front of your body.

Always exaggerate the movements while you're still learning. As you become more proficient with the skill, so your movements will become more efficient.

Good advice above. I find most people who are battling with getting the front wheel up aren't starting off in the correct position. That is, they are attempting to move their weight back from the attack position without loading up the front of the bike properly.

So try this: from the attack position, bend elbows and knees simultaneously so that you bring your chest over the bars. Arms and legs straighten as you go backwards just like on a rowing machine. Make sure that your knees bend forwards, as they straighten you are pushing down through the pedals and rolling the bike out in front of your body.

Always exaggerate the movements while you're still learning. As you become more proficient with the skill, so your movements will become more efficient.

Holy thread revival, batman!