Taking bikes on Shosholoza Meyl

Doubell

Looking for some advice. I want to take family (3 kids between 6-10) on a train trip to Prins Albert but would like to take our bikes along. We have traveled on Shosholoza Meyl before so comfortable with the conditions, etc

I cannot find any info on whether it is possible to do this and how it will work. It used to be possible, but you need to put your bike into a storage carriage, which is risky and tedious. They don't formally allow you to bring your bike into the cabin. A long time ago, we also did a bike/train trip from Jhb to Nelspruit taking our bikes into cabin (folding back bottom bunks) for a ride through Swaziland and back to Nelspruit. I can saefly say that this was not done with the approval of the conductor, but ultimately they did not stop us (and we did book out the full cabin to enable us to do this). With small kids, it may be a bit stressful to try and slip 5 bikes in (and will require 2 compartments).

Has anyone done this and have any advice to offer?

Hi

Bear in mind the train stops in Prince Albert Road  +/- 46km from Pr Albert.Last time I checked it stopped there late at night .Good luck with the planning  

I traveled on this train in 2011 and enquired about my bike. Back then they were willing to transport in the guard's van. I decided against it as we got off in Vereerniging and I was worried the train would move on before I had the chance to retrieve it from the guard's van

Phone them (Shosholoza Meyl) and ask. I would box the bikes (if only to prevent petty pilfering)

I used to do it often, but that was in 2004-2006.

The train stops at Prince Albert Road late afternoon/early evening and you will have a 45km ride to town, probably with a solid headwind (in summer)

Forget the hotel at PA road, it's closed. There is a farmstay kind of place right next to the road about 1.5km from the station on the way to Prince Albert. (Assendelft) You could stay there on the first night.

PM me if you need more detail.

Edit: Contact details

I met the owner of Assendelft this morning:

Andre  & Stephanie Knoop  

074 388 9700  & 079 288 7938

info.assendelft@gmail.com

Edited by johannrissik

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice! It looks like I am not going to make it work on this round, mostly due to train schedules. Due to the schedules, we basically needed to spend 4 days at our location...which seems a bit too long for Matjiesfontein! The Shosholoza Meyl does not stop at interesting stops like Tulbagh. For this you need to use the Cape Metro servicde, which will require more research

In case anyone wants to try the trip on the Meyl, here is what we found out:

Be at station at least 1 hour (but preferably 1.5 hours) before scheduled departure

Go to baggage management to book bike in (not 100% sure of the space where bikes are stored so would have applied some padding for protection.)

It costs R90 per bike and it is checked in by your destination. So they know where the bikes need to be taken off the train and will assist.

You can already book return of bike on departure

Thanks for all the advice! It looks like I am not going to make it work on this round, mostly due to train schedules. Due to the schedules, we basically needed to spend 4 days at our location...which seems a bit too long for Matjiesfontein! The Shosholoza Meyl does not stop at interesting stops like Tulbagh. For this you need to use the Cape Metro servicde, which will require more research

In case anyone wants to try the trip on the Meyl, here is what we found out:

Be at station at least 1 hour (but preferably 1.5 hours) before scheduled departure

Go to baggage management to book bike in (not 100% sure of the space where bikes are stored so would have applied some padding for protection.)

It costs R90 per bike and it is checked in by your destination. So they know where the bikes need to be taken off the train and will assist.

You can already book return of bike on departure

Should you decide to do it later , like johannrissik , I live in Prince Albert . I have a trailer that can take 6 bikes . Am willing to collect the family and bikes at the station and do transport .