[Event] The Amarider 100 Miler

Dirtopia MTB Events

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This was the first race I've ever done on my steel gravel (read - commute, lol) bike - and it went sooo well!

Everything - the venue, the scenery, the support & the company on the route!

TBH was a bit hesitant about signing up for a 100 miles with the bike that I've never ridden on the gravel, really - just commuting from Sea Point to Woodstock through town) - so for me it was supposed to be a go or no go kind of thing. Smart people would've signed up for 50 miles to try it out first probably, I've never been that.

It was a painful and rewarding experience. I've got some weird disc brakes on it and drop bars do not really help to break and control it properly (and neither do slick tyres), thus the downhills were really slow, scary and oh they hurt. It might be the case of me not skilled enough for that, too. But on the good side of things, I do think gravel bikes go faster on the flats and climbs, and it's a much more enjoyable experience to realize all your effort goes where it should. 

Completed in 7:43. The only part of my body that was aching the next day were the hands from being constantly beaten by the bars for over 7 hours, otherwise all surprisingly fine.

Looking forward to other gravel events now :)

• 8 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

**Edit** This is dated two years ago  :whistling:

Would have been dead keen to do this but it's the same week at the Sani2C trail which I am tackling with the old man - next year maybe  :thumbup:

Edited by Cookie88

• 3 weeks later...

any ideas on the 'gravelability' of this race?

Did it last year on my gravel bike. There was a lot of other guys as well. The winner was also on a gravel bike.