Group ride - Kenton-on-Sea / Bushmans MTB December/Jan 2017

umusneva

I’ll be in Kenton-on-sea / Boesmansrivier over December and Jan 2017 and would like to meet other mountain bikers who would like to explore the area.

I go every year, but leave the bike at home because of not wanting to ride alone in the unknown bush around there.

Come for a ski with us instead? ????

The options for trail riding are very limited. I only know of the community trails at Manly Flats on the Port Alfred to Grahamstown road. Worth driving up there for that and it is a great iniative. There are a lot district roads in the area that u can explore. The roads to and around Southwell are very popular. If u r up for a bit of challenge u ride all the way to Grahamstown. Beautiful ride with good climbs. The local paper, "Talk of the Town" included a pamphlet with all the routes in December last year so look out for that as they may do it again. If I can find the one from last year I will let u know. I have ridden extensivley in the area on my own and never felt unsafe. Of course if u have a fat bike the best riding to be had is on the pristine beachs.

Nothing good ever came out of visiting Grahamstown! :ph34r:

Apart from a banger headache and a taste of Autumn harvest crackling in your mouth

Edited by hihello

Apart from a banger headache and a taste of Autumn harvest crackling in your mouth

I thought I was the only student who drank Crackling. Man, that stuff was vile.

The options for trail riding are very limited. I only know of the community trails at Manly Flats on the Port Alfred to Grahamstown road. Worth driving up there for that and it is a great iniative. There are a lot district roads in the area that u can explore. The roads to and around Southwell are very popular. If u r up for a bit of challenge u ride all the way to Grahamstown. Beautiful ride with good climbs. The local paper, "Talk of the Town" included a pamphlet with all the routes in December last year so look out for that as they may do it again. If I can find the one from last year I will let u know. I have ridden extensivley in the area on my own and never felt unsafe. Of course if u have a fat bike the best riding to be had is on the pristine beachs.

Thanks for this feedback. I was wondering about how safe it’s is riding out there on my own ( in the event that I don’t find people to ride with ) . Coming from Gauteng one tends to be extra cautious . Two weeks ago a mountain biker was shot and killed in Irene, Centurion.

I go every year, but leave the bike at home because of not wanting to ride alone in the unknown bush around there.

Thanks for this feedback. I was wondering about how safe it’s is riding out there on my own ( in the event that I don’t find people to ride with ) . Coming from Gauteng one tends to be extra cautious . Two weeks ago a mountain biker was shot and killed in Irene, Centurion.

No problem. I have only ever ridden there alone and never felt unsafe. Of course just be cautious about where you ride. I am all too familiar with the risks of cycling in Gauteng having been bike-jacked there myself. That was one incident in a series that prompted our relocation to the Eastern Cape. I still actually work in Joburg and commute home over weekends. It is an area I have travelled to regularly since my parents retired there over a decade ago.

Something else I forgot to mention is there is a very chilled "race" that takes place shortly after Christmas called the Kariega Classic. Very relaxed and laid back but beautiful route. One really nasty comb if you choose the Bulls route. Normally starts at Hennie le Roux's farm near Salem and ends near Kenton. Not sure if the starting point will be the same this year as it is gaining popularity (relatively speaking as I think there were about 120 of us last year). If you Google it or Crown River Safaris you should find all the detail. Worth doing. Route is around 50km.

The Kariega MTB Classic will take place at Kenton-On-Sea on the 28th of December (hosted by world cup rugby legend, Hennie le Roux). As from this year it will be a proper event with all the bells and whistles and will be a circular route (50km and 20km options) starting and finishing at the Southwell Country Club in Kenton. The routes have been planned and laid out by the local cycling club and are really beautiful. Great race village vibe, free boerie roll, cash bar and entertainment for the kids. 

All the event information is at www.wildtrail.co.za 

No problem. I have only ever ridden there alone and never felt unsafe. Of course just be cautious about where you ride. I am all too familiar with the risks of cycling in Gauteng having been bike-jacked there myself. That was one incident in a series that prompted our relocation to the Eastern Cape. I still actually work in Joburg and commute home over weekends. It is an area I have travelled to regularly since my parents retired there over a decade ago.

Something else I forgot to mention is there is a very chilled "race" that takes place shortly after Christmas called the Kariega Classic. Very relaxed and laid back but beautiful route. One really nasty comb if you choose the Bulls route. Normally starts at Hennie le Roux's farm near Salem and ends near Kenton. Not sure if the starting point will be the same this year as it is gaining popularity (relatively speaking as I think there were about 120 of us last year). If you Google it or Crown River Safaris you should find all the detail. Worth doing. Route is around 50km.

. I have entered. Thanks for then advice. I didn’t know about it .