Not a Rant or a Rave but is this the Reality?

WrightJnr

Not sure why I feel the need to post this but maybe just maybe it can serve as a warning to those local bike shops that want to stay in business...

So late October I decide its Eagle time for my trusty steed.

Now, I would be needing an XD Driver for my rear wheel to accommodate the new cassette. Riding a Specialized Camber I’m off to Cedar Square to pick one up. I get told, no stock but can order for you. I say no problem I’m off to wines2whales and will only install after the race. I ask how much it will cost, approximately R1800 I get told, eish, that’s expensive but ok...Details taken, order “placed” and I’ll be contacted when it arrives. I voice a concern that this is a serviceable item and should be in stock. I get a blank look.

Mid way through November, no feedback so I follow up. No order placed, no stock, wada wada wada. We will order for you sir, I say ok. Because I now don’t trust them now I call Complete Cyclist Randburg, also get told no stock but will order for you. I call two other shops, get told sorry, don’t have, no offer to try assist further (complete cyclist melrose arch and specialized Stellenbosch)

By Wednesday last week after not hearing back from either of the shops I decide to go online. Struggling to find the part number I need I drop Chainreactioncycles a query, within the hour I get a response. Sir, we unfortunately don’t stock Spez parts but I can tell you the part number you looking for is xxx-xxxx. I then search for the part number and get a few hits. Go onto a USA website, see they ship to SA, check the price $40 and shipping another $40 via UPS tracked. I order..

This morning, 5 days later and R1050 out of pocket my part arrives, I’ve installed and all is well.

Maybe one day I’ll hear back from the local guys. In the meantime I’ll go spend the extra R750 in my wallet overseas.

This example might be Specialized related but is certainly not isolated to them or the cycling industry alone. I’m overall just getting better service from overseas and wonder when I will stop trying local first and then at all?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not pointing fingers or defending anyone, but generally international stores (in my experience) have far better trained and motivated sales staff, and this is part or even perhaps the entire problem. Sales staff, in my experience in SA, simply don't get the level of training in the product they are selling as internationally. 

Staff who, for example cycle, are not necessarily knowledgeable on the products they sell just because they are cyclists, like anyone they need training, its an ongoing business. 

I see it constantly since living here, it doesn't matter what you are buying, the sales staff actually do know their job and they are trained in their products based on features,uses,warranties,everything, they are knowledgeable and so generally easily close the sale.

Just as an example, I needed a new 6 volt battery for my blower, called the local shop and asked if they had and immediately he told me the batteries vary between models, asked me to explain the blower so he knew which model it was, and in a jiffy I had a quote and next day the correct battery was delivered. It was quick and painless because the salesman knew his job and was motivated to make the sale. 

Sadly I think SA has a long way to go in this area, training is expensive, but it makes the world of difference to the customer. 

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

sad but true. 

most stuff i buy online now days.

NB it's not just cycle shops. its pretty much every shop in RSA

its a side effect of inadequate training + way too much employee protection via the CCMA.

a poorly performing employee is so well protected in RSA its nearly impossible to keep them in check.

this protection is undoubtedly needed but has its drawbacks.

buying online is the future.

if you want to view there will be head offices or shows to go to.

my 2 cents 

Well on another point, bike shops don't  seem keen to sell to you if you are on an entry budget (For me R 20k is NOT an entry budget but be that as it may)

It took me 2 weeks to find out that I could not get a bike in the price bracket in my size. Even though there were bikes advertised as such.

One shop was keen to sell me a bike and did all the leg work (Thank Attitude Cycles) but the only one available was on consignment at another shop. When this shop found out someone wanted it they said no they will not release it.

So I called them directly and they wanted way over recommend retail and even when pressing them for discount they gave a small discount but still way over recommended retail.

So back to Attitude Cycles and a bit of a it's your fault discussion ensued, so they found me a 2nd hand bike, way better speck at a better price. Thanks guys!

Go figure, greedy much I think they are, or maybe just too many people have too much cash to burn.

To make matters worse I contacted 5 other bike shops and no one had something in my price bracket. So I can only assume they they are all in the big bucks high margin game and us cheapskates are of no importance to them.

You are lucky they offered to order for you. I have been  busy for a few months now waiting on a part from the supplier. I hardly put foot in a bike shop. I will rather order my stuff from online stores and wait for it to arrive than having to listen to someone as to why I should buy something that I dont want. 

What happened to my needs?

Why is the need of the store to sell more important than the customer?

I am still waiting for a part a Giant shop “ordered”, that I can only get from them... Thank goodness there are more than one Giant retailer in town, and the one that could/wanted to sort me out was, TrailWolf.

Edit: was trying to give TrailWolf cudos

Edited by peetwindhoek

I think there is still room for the LBS if you find the right one.

I normally deal with Fareed at Westdene Cycles. I have struck up a good relationship with him and he has given me good service.

When I need something, I usually phone him. If he does not have the part then I ask him for a quote. Within a day or two I get a call from him and then I give him the go ahead to order. This is followed by a call when the part arrives.

I have ordered a few items this way and he has always come through.

A year or two ago I walked into a LBS, owned by people I've personally known since the mid 90s. Not sure how the conversation went but told the owners wife that I was looking for a certain part (can't recall what it was) and asked another shop to get a price for me. She jokingly got "upset" with me for not coming to them to get the part for me. I said ok sure, please get me the price. She said the importer was closed but she'll write it in their book and get back to me on Monday. Still waiting for the call.

Just considering the plethora of standards and different combinations of parts available today, how many bike shops are able to from a financial point of view keep spares for everything? Just wondering ....

To a certain extent I think even the agents don't have that ability. Not calling back however is inexcusable, period!

Some mentioned that its not only cycling shops that have the attitude of "no sock sorry sir " or " only this part at 4X the price available " I shop online for new or second hand parts i need for my cycling or classic car restoration ( my other hobby ) Chevrolet /Ford parts for 60/70/80's are generaly available from selected dealers . If a water pump  costs R1900 at a stealer ( dealer ) for a 1984 Cortina 3lt Essex motor you can be assured that on line from UK , OZ or even USA landed it will cost less than a R1000 which includes courier and 20% customs duty . So yes why shop at the LBS . 

Agree with the above points, service at most of our local bike stores are pathetic.

I ordered a part from one of Cape Towns favourite bike shops 2 months ago, was told it would arrive at the store for collection within 2-3 working days. Long story short, I didnt hear anything from them and after numerous phone calls to them, the part eventually arrived 2 weeks later. It then turned out to be the wrong part which was then returned and the order was placed again. Was also told 2-3 working days but same story. 2 weeks later I go in to the store only to find out that apparently the guy who dealt with the order doesnt work there anymore and the order was not placed.

From now onwards i'll just be doing online shopping, besides the prices are much better than our local stores in any case.