Not a Rant or a Rave but is this the Reality?

WrightJnr

I'm afraid it's reality.

Same experience here. Wanted to buy a Specialized Prevail helmet. Went to THE Specialized store in Cape Town thinking they would stock them. Nope, nothing in my size. OK, can I please order one? Sure...let me take your details...No call back. So a few days later, ordered the same helmet from the Specialized store in Tygervalley near my work. They didn't call back either after I told them about my experience at the other store. OK, fine, so Evobikes got my business and I bought a KASK Mojito.

A few months later (i.e. on Monday) I decide to buy a new bike. Email the same Specialized store in CT above asking for the pricing and specs of a Pyga Stage (they're one of two Pyge dealers in CT)...still waiting for their response. Bought a second hand Stage Max yesterday off The Hub instead. 

Don't think I'll be back to that bike shop again.

Wanted 29er GRID tyres , not a single spez shop has ...was told they'd try to order and call back to confirm , still waiting 

Ended up buying maxxis ( eye watering price tho)

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wanted 29er GRID tyres , not a single spez shop has ...was told they'd try to order and call back to confirm , still waiting 

Do you know how does the Specialized product / retail chain works?

I don't know, but is there a central depot where shops can draw stock or is it only an on order system? (ie) Shops place a bulk order and that order gets shipped to them, if they sell out they need to get another order in, they cant just jump on their scooters and pop down to the warehouse and draw it?

Just interested to know as it seems there is a terrible inventory shortage.  

I Love my LBS, its a two way street , because i buy from then regularly they know me , they know my bike, when i ask to order specific products i just drop them a mail, They confirm and bobs your uncle ill have the part within a week, 

When I send my bike in for shock service they make note, they follow up after the weekend to find out if all is good and the shocks are all working to my liking, 

99 % on the time I cant find the product cheaper , and if i do i have the freedom to tell them , and they will match the price, 

Then again ..... some shops are better than others..!

just my 2c

Do you know how does the Specialized product / retail chain works?

I don't know, but is there a central depot where shops can draw stock or is it only an on order system? (ie) Shops place a bulk order and that order gets shipped to them, if they sell out they need to get another order in, they cant just jump on their scooters and pop down to the warehouse and draw it?

Just interested to know as it seems there is a terrible inventory shortage.  

No idea , but  the depot seems most likely to me 

But they probably don't order the GRID's or atleast not gravity 29er tyres cause their market is 99% XC so the probably have thousands of renegades , fast tracks and ground controls.

I find it surprising that some of,the stores as mentioned that allegedly give great service has not always been my experience. I live close to 2 Evans stores and sometimes the service is superb and Other times it’s mediocre or non existent. I also live a block away from a Giant concept store been in there twice and the service so good I pulled the trigger on a bike yesterday.

Also bought a bike online from CRC and other goodies, their online store is a slick operation.

Most of the stores here have a price matching promise so if you,find the same thing cheaper elsewhere they will match it.

Like anything in life, build a relationship with the LBS, it’s in yr interest to do so. Push on price etc, CRC ain’t going to fix yr bike

No idea , but  the depot seems most likely to me 

But they probably don't order the GRID's or atleast not gravity 29er tyres cause their market is 99% XC so the probably have thousands of renegades , fast tracks and ground controls.

Yah, maybe, but other folk have complained of short inventory on other items as well, so it just seems general.

I have no dog in the fight, I just find these business models interesting, if they use the depot system then its easy to plan stock levels, however if they wait for orders from the stores to import, then I can understand why the shops struggle to hold sufficient inventory. 

Yah, maybe, but other folk have complained of short inventory on other items as well, so it just seems general.

I have no dog in the fight, I just find these business models interesting, if they use the depot system then its easy to plan stock levels, however if they wait for orders from the stores to import, then I can understand why the shops struggle to hold sufficient inventory. 

Like you, no vested interest - not yet !

I DO appreciated the PRE-sales service at Tygerberg Cycles.  Even got follow up emails etc ...  So taking note of the lack luster after sales service .....

Certainly will be in the back of my mind before I pull the trigger on a Spez .... and similarly others may well note the feedback of another store they have been considering for a while ...

my eldest son is 12, his room looks like a library.....asked him if he would like a kindle or tab to read from .... "no dad, I like the feel of the pages" he say's

my mom told me I'm inheriting her library when rhe time comes. Will need some bookshelves. Off to the woodworking thread...

Reality is your bike shop can only go so far, but there's a reasonable level of communication that I expect. I will get the part myself if i need to, but seriously listen to what I want, don't lose my stuff, and tell me if I've asked for something you won't be able to get hold of. There are 3 joburg bike shops that I will never go back to on this basis, and a few that I never imagined I'd use, but now I regularly do. (the good ones are Westdene, Mikes Bikes, and Design in Motion for me)

the way i end up buying is pretty much as follows:

- servicing, consumables (bar tape, gloves, cables, slime), glasses, shoes and clothing I go straight to a bike shop.

- bike building I usually combine frame/wheels from local suppliers (lbs or often local online), source components either second hand or often imported (they're commodities, and all too often the local suppliers don't carry the full range of specs/sizes), and some bling bits from the lbs again.

- odd components (like my wolf tooth derailleur adapter, AB rings, AM tyres, my 26.0 seat post, or my Ti fork) - order overseas

And if they don't have it in stock.. it ain't happening

Edited by 100Tours

I Love my LBS, its a two way street , because i buy from then regularly they know me , they know my bike, when i ask to order specific products i just drop them a mail, They confirm and bobs your uncle ill have the part within a week, 

When I send my bike in for shock service they make note, they follow up after the weekend to find out if all is good and the shocks are all working to my liking, 

99 % on the time I cant find the product cheaper , and if i do i have the freedom to tell them , and they will match the price, 

Then again ..... some shops are better than others..!

just my 2c

Give them a punt, I am in your area and would love to know who you are using.....

https://www.specialized.com/za/en/butcher-grid-2bliss-ready/p/133549?color=228667-133549.

https://www.specialized.com/za/en/new-arrivals/equipment/bike-components/tyres--tubes/c/tirestubes?q=%3Arelevance%3Aarchived%3Afalse%3AcategoryProperty%3AMountain%3Aexperience%3ATrail&text=#result-list

Edited by Hairy

In today's economy, with the ease with which I can order online it just makes sense for me to buy the parts I need myself, take it to my LBS, pay them for their labour and expertise, and have them do the work.

It just cuts one more step out of the supply chain.

But like someone said earlier, my LBS knows me, knows my bike, and is always willing to help out. That I'm more than happy to pay for

I recently needed a quote on a bike for an insurance claim.

What a mission this proved to be as most of the bike shops I called never got back to me or never responded to my emails.

I eventually got the quote I needed about 3-4 days later after being extremely persistent.

A job I'm sure takes less than 10min to complete

I guess to them it wasn't a matter of urgency as it was clear that the potential for a sale wasn't on, but to me it was a big deal as I wanted to resolve my insurance claim ASAP so I could get back on a new bike again...

I learnt from this exercise where not to take my bike when I need a service.

I recently needed a quote on a bike for an insurance claim.

What a mission this proved to be as most of the bike shops I called never got back to me or never responded to my emails.

I eventually got the quote I needed about 3-4 days later after being extremely persistent.

A job I'm sure takes less than 10min to complete

I guess to them it wasn't a matter of urgency as it was clear that the potential for a sale wasn't on, but to me it was a big deal as I wanted to resolve my insurance claim ASAP so I could get back on a new bike again...

I learnt from this exercise where not to take my bike when I need a service.

Next time use CRC if possible. Add what you need in the cart, then print the invoice, far more easier. I did that when I broke a frame. Insurance accepted in without any issues.