Question about import duties

pmswanepoel

I am looking to have a second-hand Garmin unit sent here... what am I in for? Thanks in advance.

1. Are you buying it?

If yes and the parcel is market as commercial and sent as a sales item, it will be cleared in according to that HS code and duties will be applied (this assuming it is from a shop, if from a dude on e-bay that won't register the sale, you might get lucky)

2. If you can convince whoever is posting it to you to mark as a gift, no duties will be applied.

In this instance I'll opt for DHL/FedEx etc for delivery as it will be more secure.

Trust this helps

2. If you can convince whoever is posting it to you to mark as a gift, no duties will be applied.

I

Trust this helps

Not strictly speaking true.

Duties are levied on the value of the item, not on how you acquired it.

Actually true. Excludes tobacco, liquor and perfume. The value should not exceed R1400 and limited to two gifts per year. 

Edited by Ettas

Actually true. Excludes tobacco, liquor and perfume. The value should not exceed R1400 and limited to two gifts per year. 

That is why the word "strictly" was in there

Yip, I have had to explain my way around avoiding paying for a "gift".  In the end they did not believe me.

Just be aware.

1. Are you buying it?

If yes and the parcel is market as commercial and sent as a sales item, it will be cleared in according to that HS code and duties will be applied (this assuming it is from a shop, if from a dude on e-bay that won't register the sale, you might get lucky)

In this instance I'll opt for DHL/FedEx etc for delivery as it will be more secure.

Trust this helps

R1400 limit on gifts. Duties apply thereafter. In my experience it usually ends with full duties.

Edited by GrahamS2

• 2 months later...

Hi guys... 

So - if I buy some power pedals from a UK cycle shop - approx R12k worth - any ideas what the duties will be?  

Trying to make it cheaper than the R17k that i can get them for here... 

If you get an item for free with your order, is dhl allowed to charge import tax?

Edited by andreas17777

Hi guys... 

So - if I buy some power pedals from a UK cycle shop - approx R12k worth - any ideas what the duties will be?  

Trying to make it cheaper than the R17k that i can get them for here... 

They will tax you on the exchange rate value between 14 to15% so work on 15%

• 1 month later...

Anyone have any idea what the import taxes would be on a baby pram? We are needing a specific pram and it is not sold here anymore. It is available on the chicco website but they don't ship here. Also found it on Amazon for $299.99 and it can be shipped here. I have to get it so the import tax won't deter me but just want to know what I will be in for.