Hope Pro 4 Evo - Shimano Freehub Spacer

rvdm1

I recently got a new wheelset with Hope Pro 4 Evo hubs. When fitting my 10 speed shimano cassette I noticed that the freehub was quite a bit wider than the cassette. After some searching with google it seems that I require a spacer that should be shipped with the hub under normal circumstances, but I was not able to find a definitive answer anywhere.

Can anybody with the same setup please shed some light, am I correct in assuming that I just need the spacer for the setup to work, should I have received the spacer with the wheelset and what width is the spacer?

Post found on Pinbike (https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=189396) -

"PLEASE NOTE

Use this spacer when fitting
a 9/10 speed cassette
or XT-M8000/XTR-M9000
(11 speed) Cassette"

Image showing spacer:

post-26739-0-99268400-1512499554_thumb.png

That is correct.

I got that spacer with my hubs.

I can try and measure the width for you in the morning.

Edit: Any bike shop should be able to order you one

Edited by Pulse

That is correct.

I got that spacer with my hubs.

I can try and measure the width for you in the morning.

Edit: Any bike shop should be able to order you one

Thanks, I will start by contacting the shop that I bought it from, but getting it from them might take a while. In the mean time I would appreciate if you could measure yours tomorrow, at least then I can try and make a plan while I wait. Edited by rvdm1

The spacer is not specific to hope hubs, any bike shop should have a spacer not the spacer for the hope hub.

This was very common on road bike hubs.

The spacer is not specific to hope hubs, any bike shop should have a spacer not the spacer for the hope hub.

This was very common on road bike hubs.

Great thanks for the info.

So a bit more reading and I think I understand now. Although the shimano 10 and 11 speed mtb cassettes are the same width, that is not true for the road cassettes. The 11 speed road cassette is wider than both the 10 speed road cassette and mtb cassettes. In order to make the freehub compatible with all the variations it is made to the width of the 11 speed road cassette and for the others you need the spacer.

Will try my lbs for a faster solution. Still feel that it should have been supplied with the wheelset though...

Great thanks for the info.

So a bit more reading and I think I understand now. Although the shimano 10 and 11 speed mtb cassettes are the same width, that is not true for the road cassettes. The 11 speed road cassette is wider than both the 10 speed road cassette and mtb cassettes. In order to make the freehub compatible with all the variations it is made to the width of the 11 speed road cassette and for the others you need the spacer.

Will try my lbs for a faster solution. Still feel that it should have been supplied with the wheelset though...

That is correct.

So you need the following spacers:

1.85mm - to go from 11spd road to 10/11spd MTB - usually supplied with hub

1mm - to accomodate 11/10spd MTB on 9/10/11spd compatible freehubs - supplied with the cassette (10/11spd are 1mm narrower than 9spd)

You can make a plan with external bb spacers while you wait for the genuine thing. They work for me.

Thanks for the info everyone, at least now I know what I need, 2.85mm worth of spacers. Will swing by the lbs as it will be way more effort to have it shipped from the shop where I bought the wheels.

I used shimano (9 speed) and then stan's (10 speed) hubs before this and could just shove the cassette on without any extra spacers and go. This rather common knowledge is new to me.

If you don't come right and are ever in centurion , gooi me A PM I have one that you can have mahala 

If you don't come right and are ever in centurion , gooi me A PM I have one that you can have mahala

Shot, will give you a shout if my lbs can't help.

• 3 months later...

Out of interest, what is the difference between the hope free hub and say a shimano freehub? Wanted to get a Hope cassette but not willing to get a new hub to fit he Hope freehub to fit the cassette.

That is just re-inventing the wheel.

I think you need a special hope free body for the their propitiatory cassette , apparently the Hope cassettes are not a very good option, I stand to correction but I think they are completely made out of Aluminium and will give you a very short lifespan when compared to other manufacturers. Have you looked at the E-thirteen cassettes slightly more expensive but engineered a little better will work on both shimano and sram