Hartenbos / Mosselbaai / George Gravel Roads Safety?

Links MTB

Some advice please guys. My wife and I will be on holiday in Hartenbos again from next week and as in the past plan on doing lots of cycling on the extended network of gravel roads in the area between Mosselbaai and George. In the past we had no safety issues, but the last time we were there was 2 years ago, so what's the situation like currently wrt safety on these back roads?  Any roads/areas that we should avoid? We normally ride early mornings. Thanks!

Safe as far as I am concerned.

But it is like a rare cancer. If your chances of getting cancer xyz is 1 in 10 000 000, it is insignificant. Until you are the one that gets it.

It's safe. We haven't had any issues for the past years. For group rides go to the LBS Monties or Johnny Koen. Lots of road bike activity around this time of the year. Road bikes leave Mondays to Fridays at 5:30 from the Total petrol station next to Johnny Koen/ Agri. MTB Tuesdays and Thursdays 17:30 from the Shell petroport Voorbaai.

There are lots of open roads for MTB. Check out the routes on the link below

http://41.185.8.61/~visitmosselbayco/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Cycling-Mossel-Bay.pdf

Hope to see you guys on the bike soon!

Is the road at "Big Dipper" open, or are they still rebuilding the bridge? 

Big dipper has been open for a long time now. Just the road through Botlierskop has been closed after the restaurant towards Friemersheim.

• 1 year later...

Hi Pretzels

I will be in Hartenbos next week, is there still road rides happening?

It's safe. We haven't had any issues for the past years. For group rides go to the LBS Monties or Johnny Koen. Lots of road bike activity around this time of the year. Road bikes leave Mondays to Fridays at 5:30 from the Total petrol station next to Johnny Koen/ Agri. MTB Tuesdays and Thursdays 17:30 from the Shell petroport Voorbaai.

There are lots of open roads for MTB. Check out the routes on the link below

http://41.185.8.61/~visitmosselbayco/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Cycling-Mossel-Bay.pdf

Hope to see you guys on the bike soon!

I regularly ride solo all over from George all the away along seven passes and behind in Bergplaas. Trouble free so far.  I would imagine as safe as it gets in SA apart from the white bakkie brigade

Busy sorting out a back problem. Hope to hit those hills about the 15th or 16th.

I CAN'T WAIT . See you all there.

Edited by Blokman

Some of the best and scenic gravel roads to ride and as safe as you can get in rsa .Plenty flat and climbing roads .At 5 am there will hardly be any cars exept for the early farmer or prroduce going to market .For long rides with plenty climbing ride towars barryvale from both sides .If you don,t take the barryvale road ,another 20km ,and return to Dias beach ,you will have ridden 70km with 1000m of climbing 

• 8 months later...

Could someone assist with some help to introduce a friend to a road ride group in Mossel Bay?

She moved to Mossel Bay recently and is looking to join a road group as part of her training for DC. She has done quite a few big endurance events. Would someone be able to confirm if Koen Cycles still does their daily rides and possible help her with an intro to a group - it can be a bit intimidating and as a newbie from out of town.