[Event] Cederberg 100Miler

Gravel Travel Events

I haven't bought my ticket yet msieu buttox, your advice is noted and not yet consigned to the pile of "wise words from the thunder god that lowly mamil ignores".

After 8hrs and 20mins for my first 100 Miler including about 40mins of standing about cramping, I was comfortably numb going 'Hello, is there anybody out there'. Be prepared...

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 or 10 hours on the bike, potentially in big heat - with 3000m ascent - I'm hesitating - maybe I'll do the Amarider 100 miler which sounds a little easier. I'm going to give it another week of mulling it over before deciding.

Hey I wasn't here to scare everyone off! I was very careful with the pace then because I was riding on my own, haven't done that of a long MTB ride in a while - and didn't wanna die in the middle of nowhere ;)

Yeah it was 10 hrs I see now, out of the 8 ladies who started (lol) we were the two official finishers. Could for sure do better I guess.

https://inthebunch.co.za/2017/04/cederberg-100miler-results/

Edited by Catty

This 100 miler is certainly very tough....you climb forever from the start until the top of Uitkyk Pass, then it evens out for a while then starts climbing again in short bursts.

If you haven't done a 100 miler yet, rather start with the Amarider one for experience - that is definitely easier.

Having said that, everything is doable at the correct speed - just make sure you pace yourself correctly and eat and drink well. Enjoy and good luck

Discretion being the better part of valour and other trite but soothing anodynes -- I have entered the Amarider 100 miler and if that makes me stronger and doesn't kill me I'll crack the Cederberg one in 2019.

Thanks for the input and advice.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Awesome event. The 2 day track is obviously easier, but nothing beats that feeling when you managed to do the 160km in one day. Yes it is tough, but it is all gravel roads. I am a very average cyclist that struggle with cramps, but it will be my 4th time doing this event. Just pace yourself. The organisers really go out of their way to make the race worth your while. They can double the entry and I will still do it. Just remember with 3K climbing you also get lots of down hills. Very doable and a must do.

I checked the weather, it's gonna be a wet one Sunday.  :thumbup:

Ja looks like it, and I'm ok with that. I get in the area fairly regularly for work, and those farmers seriously need some rain. Don't expect too much mud, think the earth will just slurp that water up.