Indoor spinning bike - with a twist

mecheng89

Evening Hubbers,

Does anyone have, or know of someone, who has an indoor spinning bike, but with a power meter attached? Only possibilities I can think of a pedal and crank based. I know Stages have an indoor bike like that. 

Is it worth pursuing? 

Evening Hubbers,

Does anyone have, or know of someone, who has an indoor spinning bike, but with a power meter attached? Only possibilities I can think of a pedal and crank based. I know Stages have an indoor bike like that. 

Is it worth pursuing? 

I had a cycleops CS300  indoor spinning bike (think they are now called Cycleops Phantom3) which had a power tap hub based power meter.

Eventually sold it and replaced with a cycleops powerbeam because i prefer IDT to spinning bikes and the old version I had was not compatible with online riding, unlike the newer models.

https://www.cycleops.com/catalog/indoor-cycles

Get a wattbike is budget is not an issues, I have fitted my spinning bike with Garmin speed and cadence sensor.

Edited by Dexter-morgan

I had a cycleops CS300  indoor spinning bike (think they are now called Cycleops Phantom3) which had a power tap hub based power meter.

Eventually sold it and replaced with a cycleops powerbeam because i prefer IDT to spinning bikes and the old version I had was not compatible with online riding, unlike the newer models.

https://www.cycleops.com/catalog/indoor-cycles

Care to highlight the key differences you've experienced? 

edit: if you went to smart, smart choice.

Edited by mecheng89

Get a wattbike is budget is not an issues, I have fitted my spinning bike with Garmin speed and cadence sensor.

I think a Wattbike, even 2nd hand is far too expensive. Even the most expensive smart trainer (not the Tacx treadmill looking one) isn't over R20k. 

Have a look at the Hammer, a direct drive smart trainer. This gives you a real road / mtb feel and runs real gears. The Hammer is also compatible with the likes of Zwift, TrainerRoad and Rouvy. 

The CycleOps Phantom 3 is compatible with all the above apps but lacks the controlled resistance function. Our CycleOps Phantom 5 is also compatible with all the above BUT Zwift will not control the resistance of the trainer due to the Phantom 5 running a private network. So while Zwift will pick up the power meter (hub) from the Phantom 5 like is does with the Phantom 3 you will need to run Rouvy or TrainerRoad to control the trainers resistance. Not ideal.

https://www.bicyclepower.co.za/product/hammer-direct-drive-indoor-trainer/

The Hammer is ANT+ FE-C compliant meaning it will work with pretty much anything and everything out on the market, even your Garmin. 

Have a look at the Hammer, a direct drive smart trainer. This gives you a real road / mtb feel and runs real gears. The Hammer is also compatible with the likes of Zwift, TrainerRoad and Rouvy. 

The CycleOps Phantom 3 is compatible with all the above apps but lacks the controlled resistance function. Our CycleOps Phantom 5 is also compatible with all the above BUT Zwift will not control the resistance of the trainer due to the Phantom 5 running a private network. So while Zwift will pick up the power meter (hub) from the Phantom 5 like is does with the Phantom 3 you will need to run Rouvy or TrainerRoad to control the trainers resistance. Not ideal.

https://www.bicyclepower.co.za/product/hammer-direct-drive-indoor-trainer/

The Hammer is ANT+ FE-C compliant meaning it will work with pretty much anything and everything out on the market, even your Garmin. 

At 3k price difference between the phantom 3 and 5, surely the 5 is a no brainer between the two models...how many phantom 3's actually sell these days?

At 3k price difference between the phantom 3 and 5, surely the 5 is a no brainer between the two models...how many phantom 3's actually sell these days?

Surprisingly a good number considering their popularity in group training environments like Cadence Cycling. The Phantom 3 in our view is perhaps the perfect tool when introducing power training to the masses. It offers a jump on and ride solution that is easy to understand and integrates to 3rd party applications. 

Sure the home market is geared towards the Phantom 5.

Care to highlight the key differences you've experienced?

edit: if you went to smart, smart choice.

During winter I ride mostly indoors and a spinning bike just does not provide the same feeling as your actual bike.

For example gear ratios, a spinning bike does not have a cassette and hence no gear ratios. I also did not like the flywheel effect of a spinning bike (fixed, no free wheeling).