Durbanville to Langebaan Route - Advice

Dappere

Hi,

Wonder if anybody has done this ride before, or could shed some light on which roads would be the best to take and avoid.

My mate is turning 30 and has always wanted to cycle to langebaan. Seeing he is the one that got me into cycling, I thought there is no better way to celebrate than to make this a reality for him.

Starting point: 
Vida Durbanville - Middle Ville Centre, Wellington Rd, Durbanville, Cape Town, 7550

Finish:

Langebaan - On Tac Beach, Corner of Bree and Beach Road, 8 Main Jacoba, Langebaan, 7357

We will have a support vehicle following us.

Thanks in advance.  

I've done it up the West Coast road from Melkbos before and via Malmesbury - Hopefield before.

West Coast is the easiest option but boring and dangerous due to cars driving the yellow line.

Hopefield is more interesting but the road isn't as good and less of a shoulder, you've need a backup driver here for sure.

I've done it up the West Coast road from Melkbos before and via Malmesbury - Hopefield before.

West Coast is the easiest option but boring and dangerous due to cars driving the yellow line.

Hopefield is more interesting but the road isn't as good and less of a shoulder, you've need a backup driver here for sure.

The hopefield road has a shoulder and I have found it much safer than the wild west coast road.

Here you go:

https://www.strava.com/activities/168107024

We have done it a few times, we normally start in town, then ride to Durbanville then out to the west coast. The road is lekker and if you have a SE its plain sailing all the way. Nice wide shoulders, Malmesbury is a bit tricky at the moment but not a biggy.

Thank you Pure Savage. Much appreciated 

The hopefield road has a shoulder and I have found it much safer than the wild west coast road.

This ☝????

Treat the West Coast rd as a super highway

Not thr safest option

ive done it as well a few times from Durbanville to Langebaan. Always done it through table view onto west coast. it can be dangerous at times so one must have your eyes all over but if you have back up vehicle its fine. If you go via malmsbury  to hopefield  go the back way of Malmsbury . the road into malmsbury ( N7) still been rebuilt and its a mess.  and lastly pick a day with the wind behind you otherwise you going to k@k ....enjoy. also great when you have a buddy with you

I've also done this trip before.

I would suggest looking at making your way to Blouberg from Durbanville to get onto the West Coast Road as I cannot vouch for the safety of an alternative route.

I would also recommend taking a scenic short cut through the West Coast National Park into Langebaan. Will cost you about R50pp entry though

I usually do my longer hauls on the R27 these days.  I usually head out to Yzerfontein and back and don't have any issues with the traffic, granted it is usually early mornings on a Sunday.  Which day and time will determine the amount of traffic you will encounter with Friday most heading towards the WC and Sunday it is the mass return of everyone  ;) 

I've only headed out up to the Moorreesburg turnoff on the alt option and for the most part from thereon back to town I've also had no issues and the shoulder is wide enough on this section.

With the avg speed cameras on the WC Road there is a bit less of the speedfreaks these days on said road.

The road just after the Onestop on the WC road have been upgraded a while back and do have a proper shoulder all the way to Langebaan now should you not go through the park.