Evil Following or SC Tallboy 3

SSCC

.........OP asks about a 'cheap' bike 15-20k and gets smashed with a barrage of questions 'what sort of riding do you do? Where do you ride? Are you any good? Is your mother a frog? How can you expect us to advise you properly if you don't provide us with the right info?' etc.......

OP provides absolutely none of the above, his mother is obviously a frog and he doesn't even have a profile picture, but he asks about 2 x rad expensive bikes and everybody just loses their collective jizz buckets! 

PFFFFT.....  :ph34r:

I've spent quite a bit of time on most of the Evil and SCB range, both are incredible bikes, so the reality is that either way you're going to be grinning from ear to ear. For me (and what I would suggest you should think about) it comes down to the type of ride you're looking for, not the type of riding you're looking to do. A quick view of the fact sheet will tell you that both of these bikes are well specced, light, fast and have on-point geometry. A few considerations:

Evil - DELTA will offer you better small bump compliance than any other bike I've ridden in the Following travel segment, the way the link initiates the suspension travel and ramps up through it allows for insane initial stroke sensitivity with great support further in the travel. One thing to remember though is that its still a single pivot, DELTA just drives the rear shock, so the wheel is moving in a fixed arc, and as such the anti-squat curve cannot be tuned in the same way as a virtual pivot, same goes for the anti rise on the braking side of things. Another thing to consider from personal experience on the evil would be saddle height, if like me you have abnormally long legs the seat tube angle (actual, not virtual) is pretty slack, and you will be seated quite far over the front wheel. On the opposite side of things, the frame does have an incredibly short head tube, so you are able to get a great low handlebar position to aid for climbing etc.

TB3 - VPP is going to offer you (almost) everything it claims, well tuned suspension action, firm pedaling thanks to great anti squat, and neutral braking. On a practical point of view the lifetime linkage bearing deal for all SCB first owners is a pretty sweet deal too. Suspension feel on the TB3 is definitely more "race" orientated meaning its firmer and slightly more harsh. This gives the bike great acceleration and composure. The more traditional frame layout offers great water bottle clearance for bigger bottles too, and the geometry is well tuned for long days in the saddle.

For me in short the former is a trail bike that wants to be an enduro race machine, and the other is a trail bike that wants to be a marathon race machine. Perhaps thats a little extreme, but its close ;)

.........OP asks about a 'cheap' bike 15-20k and gets smashed with a barrage of questions 'what sort of riding do you do? Where do you ride? Are you any good? Is your mother a frog? How can you expect us to advise you properly if you don't provide us with the right info?' etc.......

OP provides absolutely none of the above, his mother is obviously a frog and he doesn't even have a profile picture, but he asks about 2 x rad expensive bikes and everybody just loses their collective jizz buckets! 

Shows how many nice folks there are on the hub.

I'm not asking if I should get a hardtail vs a fullsus. Or if I should get a 100mm short travel or 140mm long travel. My riding experience is not relevant as my question is about two specific frames. If you have ridden either bike your comments would also be welcome. Thanks.

Someone poke the grumpy wookie this morning? Group hug? 

GmPND15.jpg

Someone poke the grumpy wookie this morning? Group hug? 

hahahahaha

I actually thought my comment was hilarious! (checks calendar to see if it's Friday)

I've spent quite a bit of time on most of the Evil and SCB range, both are incredible bikes, so the reality is that either way you're going to be grinning from ear to ear. For me (and what I would suggest you should think about) it comes down to the type of ride you're looking for, not the type of riding you're looking to do. A quick view of the fact sheet will tell you that both of these bikes are well specced, light, fast and have on-point geometry. A few considerations:

Evil - DELTA will offer you better small bump compliance than any other bike I've ridden in the Following travel segment, the way the link initiates the suspension travel and ramps up through it allows for insane initial stroke sensitivity with great support further in the travel. One thing to remember though is that its still a single pivot, DELTA just drives the rear shock, so the wheel is moving in a fixed arc, and as such the anti-squat curve cannot be tuned in the same way as a virtual pivot, same goes for the anti rise on the braking side of things. Another thing to consider from personal experience on the evil would be saddle height, if like me you have abnormally long legs the seat tube angle (actual, not virtual) is pretty slack, and you will be seated quite far over the front wheel. On the opposite side of things, the frame does have an incredibly short head tube, so you are able to get a great low handlebar position to aid for climbing etc.

TB3 - VPP is going to offer you (almost) everything it claims, well tuned suspension action, firm pedaling thanks to great anti squat, and neutral braking. On a practical point of view the lifetime linkage bearing deal for all SCB first owners is a pretty sweet deal too. Suspension feel on the TB3 is definitely more "race" orientated meaning its firmer and slightly more harsh. This gives the bike great acceleration and composure. The more traditional frame layout offers great water bottle clearance for bigger bottles too, and the geometry is well tuned for long days in the saddle.

For me in short the former is a trail bike that wants to be an enduro race machine, and the other is a trail bike that wants to be a marathon race machine. Perhaps thats a little extreme, but its close ;)

Fantastic post this. Great advice. :thumbup:

Evil -

TB3 -

Nail on the head ^^^^^ ????????

If you want to do marathons all 3 bikes (Hightower included) are so very capable . If you chasing time and that’s important the tb will be the quickest . But surprisingly not as much as you would think. Ashburton 75km @ VG TB & Hightower +- 5 mins difference over 4hrs plus. Hightower was more fun & confident on the downs,more effort required to climb.

The following falls in between both for me . One characteristic I feel the evil has in spades compared to the Santa’s is the playful hooligan make me wanna do bad sh$t that’s gonna hurt me feel.

I am 6ft and don’t feel any of the negative pedaling / seated traits some feel.

I sold the Hightower as bought an xl and even with a 50 mm stem and 740 bars it always felt like it was on the big side .

As cliched as this sounds you can’t go wrong with most bikes nowadays,especially the ones you are looking at. The bikes do however feel pretty damn different when just pedaling around a parking lot . So even if you can’t test ride at least sit on them and get an idea on what’s right for you and how you like a bike to feel.

As im from earth said . The following is over the front more than the Santa’s. But I actually prefer that .

And am actually a massive Santa fanboy .

Edited by Pikey

Nail on the head ^^^^^

If you want to do marathons all 3 bikes (Hightower included) are so very capable . If you chasing time and that’s important the tb will be the quickest . But surprisingly not as much as you would think. Ashburton 75km @ VG TB & Hightower +- 5 mins difference over 4hrs plus. Hightower was more fun & confident on the downs,more effort required to climb.

The following falls in between both for me . One characteristic I feel the evil has in spades compared to the Santa’s is the playful hooligan make me wanna do bad sh$t that’s gonna hurt me feel.

I am 6ft and don’t feel any of the negative pedaling / seated traits some feel.

I sold the Hightower as bought an xl and even with a 50 mm stem and 740 bars it always felt like it was on the big side .

As cliched as this sounds you can’t go wrong with most bikes nowadays,especially the ones you are looking at. The bikes do however feel pretty damn different when just pedaling around a parking lot . So even if you can’t test ride at least sit on them and get an idea on what’s right for you and how you like a bike to feel.

As im from earth said . The following is over the front more than the Santa’s. But I actually prefer that .

And am actually a massive Santa fanboy .

But .. but ... but .... is it more better-er ..??.