Chris Froome returns adverse analytical finding for Salbutamol

Andrew Steer

sure - but then one would reasonably assume that with ACUTE ASTHMA you shouldnt be winning grand tours, right?

You never know. Modern athletes are amazing!

The interesting bit is that acute severe asthma is an acute exacerbation of asthma that does not respond to standard treatments of bronchodilators (inhalers) and corticosteroids.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly...

Chris Froome took advantage of growing fatigue among his main rivals as the Team Sky rider moved to a step closer to securing a Tour de France and Vuelta a Españadouble. The day after he lost 42 seconds to Vincenzo Nibali, a devastating late break on the road to Santo Toribio de Liébana saw Froome extend his lead over the Italian to 1min 37sec

Sounds much like something Landis did some years ago.

So I should be studying but fark it :-)

How much salbutamol did he actually have in his system?

****I don't like maths do please point out errors if you see them****

Chris' level was 2,000ng/ml - given that the average human has 5 litres of blood that is 10,000,000ng of Salbutamol in total.

Let's use mg cos that's more common in medicine: 10,000,000ng is 10,000mg.

The normal ORAL dose for salbutamol is 8,000mg up to a max of 24,000mg per day.

So Chris had a fairly normal to low amount of salbutamol in his system in terms of ORAL use.

That said - max normal use for INHALERS is 1,200mg per day. Recommended prevention is 400mg 15 mins before you start exercise.

So compared to normal INHALER Chris is waaaay over normal use.

My final opinion (cos I really should learn some Danish now) is this: Chris abused a legal loophole for SKY's famous "marginal gains".

It'll be interesting to see how the UCI view it. Ulissi tried (and failed) to replicate his high Salbutamol levels at a UCI lab and got sanctioned - let's see if Chris and the SKY medicine men can get Chris to replicate a 2,000ng/ml level in a lab (or hand the UCI several reams of medical reports showing how it is theoretically possible).

i think your maths is wrong, and out by a thousand.

pico nano micro milli

i think your maths is wrong, and out by a thousand.

pico nano micro milli

Quite right - the numbers are right but the unit is wrong. All numbers are in mcg not mg. I'll fix it...

Wikipedia says:In 1886, a Welsh cyclist is popularly reputed to have died after drinking a blend of cocaine, caffeine and strychnine, supposedly in the Bordeaux–Paris race.

​doping exists since people compeed

​Maybe the top 25 in general classification of each major race should be banned automaticly for life ? :ph34r: 

Edited by Brakepad

So I should be studying but fark it :-)

How much salbutamol did he actually have in his system?

****I don't like maths do please point out errors if you see them****

Chris' level was 2,000ng/ml - given that the average human has 5 litres of blood that is 10,000,000ng of Salbutamol in total.

Let's use mg cos that's more common in medicine: 10,000,000ng is 10,000mcg.

The normal ORAL dose for salbutamol is 8,000mcg up to a max of 24,000mcg per day.

So Chris had a fairly normal to low amount of salbutamol in his system in terms of ORAL use.

That said - max normal use for INHALERS is 1,200mcg per day. Recommended prevention is 400mcg 15 mins before you start exercise.

So compared to normal INHALER Chris is waaaay over normal use.

My final opinion (cos I really should learn some Danish now) is this: Chris abused a legal loophole for SKY's famous "marginal gains".

It'll be interesting to see how the UCI view it. Ulissi tried (and failed) to replicate his high Salbutamol levels at a UCI lab and got sanctioned - let's see if Chris and the SKY medicine men can get Chris to replicate a 2,000ng/ml level in a lab (or hand the UCI several reams of medical reports showing how it is theoretically possible).

Edit: Changed mg to mcg - thanks to rider#35 for pointing that out.

He was at 2,000ng/ml, when the sample was taken. Given it's rapid excretion rate it could have been considerably higher during the race.  Especially since it is probably excreted far more rapidly during race conditions.

He was at 2,000ng/ml, when the sample was taken. Given it's rapid excretion rate it could have been considerably higher during the race.  Especially since it is probably excreted far more rapidly during race conditions.

So if they had tested him before the race that morning... enough for an actual positive doping violation? I would guess so...

Sounds much like something Landis did some years ago.

What Landis did was one of the most epic rides in recent memory and would certainly not fall into the category of "late break"

Great ride that was  :ph34r:

So if they had tested him before the race that morning... enough for an actual positive doping violation? I would guess so...

There is no positive doping violation for salbutamol as far as I know

Up to 1,000ng/ml no questions -over that and it's an adverse finding and you have to explain yourself to the UCI.