PE MTB Trails

BuffsVintageBikes

I'm in PE for a few days between Xmas and New Years, can anyone recommend some safe trails near Newton Park that I can enjoy? I don't mind riding 10-15kays to get to a trail.

At the moment I'm not sure if I should take the MTB or Road bike but a worthwhile trail will sway my decision quickly.

Ta

I'm in PE the same time, I was initially thinking of leaving the bike at home but would like to sample some new trails

In the link you posted the trails have very little ascent and descent

I would like to try some of the more technical trails you guys have in PE and I don't mind climbing,

I will also be riding solo so somewhere with lots of traffic or that is safe

The Valley is right on your doorstep. There have been a few attacks but the trail should generally be busy in the holidays.

I'm in PE the same time, I was initially thinking of leaving the bike at home but would like to sample some new trails

In the link you posted the trails have very little ascent and descent

I would like to try some of the more technical trails you guys have in PE and I don't mind climbing,

I will also be riding solo so somewhere with lots of traffic or that is safe

Crossways has plenty of ascents and decents http://3riverstrails.co.za/trails/

There is also the Hayterdale trails, Jbay bike park and Hopewell.

I'd also recommend doing 60 minutes of mayhem on a Thursday for a fun, challenging 'race' http://www.mountainevents.co.za/events/24

Edited by Jacquers

Thanks for all the info Jacquers

Will definitely do one of the mayem races and the Crossways and JBay bike park looks like lots of fun,

how safe is it though?

Thanks for all the info Jacquers

Will definitely do one of the mayem races and the Crossways and JBay bike park looks like lots of fun,

how safe is it though?

No guarantees, but the Baakens valley is really the only area to watch out in, I don't know of any issues at places like Crossways.

Baakens Valley is incredible. Start at the fat tracks near Walmer Park. Generally, there are always a few people around...

I find Baakens to be quite safe. There was an attack there about a year ago, but nothing since. There was a gang operating about 5 years prior, but they were caught. I ride there often from the Profiles Gym entrance and I regularly come across an elderly lady, an old man and a young woman jogging. If they find it safe, then it must be.

Just stay away from the William Moffat bridge, the dronkies seem to sleep there.

Edited by Eugene

If you bring your road bike, PE has lots of nice quiet, safe roads to ride on with some good scenery. I suggest doing Maitland. A stunning climb with the ocean down below. If you are lucky, you might see some whales (not sure what the season is). After the descent, the road follows the sea and I have often seen Dolphins swimming around.

I find Baakens to be quite safe. There was an attack there about a year ago, but nothing since. There was a gang operating about 5 years prior, but they were caught. I ride there often from the Profiles Gym entrance and I regularly come across an elderly lady, an old man and a young woman jogging. If they find it safe, then it must be.

Just stay away from the William Moffat bridge, the dronkies seem to sleep there.

Actually there have been several attacks in the valley in the last couple of months.  They seem to be targeting cyclists.

Edited by PeterF

I've been riding/racing in the Baakens since the Mid 90's. Used to ride there almost every afternoon after school, alone. Its where I cut my MTB roots, as such. But I have to say, I haven't been for a ride in the Baakens for probably 10 years, don't feel safe there anymore.

Hi guys,

The Baakens Valley is a really awesome place to ride and caters for all levels of rider.

There is plenty of jeep track for the not so technically inclined, and there are awesome technical / fun sections for those feeling more adventurous.

Fattracks MTB Club have put a huge amount of time into building and maintaining trails in the valley, and it really is a gem right on our doorstep.

I would suggest that you ride in a group or minimum 2 people. There are plenty of MTB'ers, trail runners and hikers who use these trails on a daily basis.

We will be more than happy to ride with you guys and show you some of our awesome trails. I will be in PE till the 29th Dec. Drop me a PM if you're interested and we can share details to arrange a ride.

Cheers...Jerran

• 1 year later...

In PE for the next couple of days (Thursday till Sunday). Will be based in Walmer (Close to Coimbra Cycles). Is anybody keen for a couple of Trail Rides or keen for me to join them? 

I know there are some sick downs behind my Brother in laws house into baakens that I've run with him, but not sure about biking it.

Else, where can I ride on my own (know about the fat track trail), should I avoid Baakens valley/other areas alone?