[Event] FNB Wines2Whales Chardonnay

Events Bot

Have to agree. Organizers really dropped the ball on the finish area. 10 showers for 1200 riders, no shade, no area to buy a beer and share stories with mates. It was a huge anti climax. Left a bad taste after three great days of riding. No WOW factor to speak of!

That pissed me off. Not even benches where you could sit and eat your burger. Really, how difficult and expensive could it be to organise some wooden tables/benches with umbrellas.

I had to sit on the grass in the little bit of shade of the finish marker.

I don't think I will even bother for next year. Would rather support the other races where they still care more for the paying customers than for the advertisers/sponsors.

Compare this to last year where you had lots of tables under trees and all facilities at the finish venue. And you also get the nice ride over the beach a few meters from the sea. Plus that awesome extra ST under the trees before you hit the right turn to the finish.

Edited by Moridin

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again, please point me in the direction when/where the ladies were not being recognised before?

I'm not going to get into a discussion re males vs females because there is nothing I will say that will not be construed as being a male chauvinist pig...

Maybe read Gen's comment again before you wallow too deep in your male discrimination pity party...

The way I read it was a little off-hand jest about life in general - not a criticism about women not getting recognised at W2W in the past. 

Imagine that..a man complaining that men aren't getting recognition [emoji23][emoji23]

Maybe now you will understand why the ladies have to fight so hard for the exposure and recognition as the what the men normally get.[emoji39][emoji23][emoji111]

Why do woman only have to win 2 sets and men 3 sets in Tennis?

Why do woman only have to win 2 sets and men 3 sets in Tennis?

If you read the tennis thread you will notice that I have said that I would like to see that during the grand slam events.

I see the weather warnings are declared by the organisers for the next race with an early start for the extreme heat forecasted on day 1 and a later start as there are severe storms.

Mama Earth is angry or moody or something

Edited by 'Dale

Once again, please point me in the direction when/where the ladies were not being recognised before?

I'm not going to get into a discussion re males vs females because there is nothing I will say that will not be construed as being a male chauvinist pig...

Us ladies were definitely recognised before, arguably more than our fair share considering we are a far smaller portion of the field :ph34r:. The separate start group to me was not about recognition, but creating conditions for more objective racing in a group which was small, but certainly not lacking in quality. That said, I really missed just being "one of the guys" in previous events where we rode the race, but did not miss some of the overly aggressive riding of some of the teams who were racing for 100th position.

Don't think anything will change for next year as there was no changes to all the complaints of last year.

Why pay R400 for a W2W cap???? Jeeeezzz that's a rip off and they could have sell more if it was a bit cheaper, why????

I will do this event next year again but please cater for extreme weather conditions (rain / wind / mud or whatever).

Thumbs up to all the finishers this year, as it was HOT out there!!!!

The organisers were pretty clear on their focus going in.

"In 2018 the elite women will compete in the Chardonnay event, which takes place from the 26th to the 28th of October, without any elite men or competitive Mixed category athletes on the start line. This means they will have the sole attention of the media and race entirely without interference."

https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_/news/mtb/sa-mtb/first-dedicated-elite-womens-wines2whales-race-boasts-strong-field-r7571

Well clearly the men should then not enter this event.  Why take their money, but give them nothing in return?  Just make it a ladies tour, the mid week one a mix tour, and then last one a men's tour.  Boom, problem solved...  

Us ladies were definitely recognised before, arguably more than our fair share considering we are a far smaller portion of the field :ph34r:. The separate start group to me was not about recognition, but creating conditions for more objective racing in a group which was small, but certainly not lacking in quality. That said, I really missed just being "one of the guys" in previous events where we rode the race, but did not miss some of the overly aggressive riding of some of the teams who were racing for 100th position.

Eish but 100th place is like ALMOST a podium...

If you read the tennis thread you will notice that I have said that I would like to see that during the grand slam events.

Tell him Gen