Wider rims for XC Hardtail

Mintman

Looking for a few more opinions / experiences with wider rims on XC specific bikes.

I have a 29er hardtail: 2014 ZASKAR 9R ELITE & I've been wanting to upgrade my wheelset for a while now, specifically the width of my rims for more control and less tetchy handling downhill. I'm not riding anything extreme. Mostly jeep track with steep sections and loose gravel.

My stock standard wheelset is Jalco XCD22, Double Wall, 32H. I believe the internal rim width is 19mm. I currently run Maxis Ikon 2.2 on the rear & Ardent 2.25 on the front.

I've felt the handling benefits of wider rims but don't have enough cash to go for a more trail oriented dual suspension bike right now. So I'm trying to see if I can make some changes to help keep my chin on my face for the time being.

That said, my bike isn't designed for wider rims and space is tight, especially on the rear. My LBS told me there isn't really any point in buying, for example, a Stans ZTR Arch wheelset with 25mm inner width because A) it's too tight and B) it's not what the bike is built for.

I've attached some pics, which might help.

What do you guys think? 

post-103872-0-74233900-1513530512_thumb.jpg

post-103872-0-90915800-1513530536_thumb.jpg

post-103872-0-51351800-1513530879_thumb.jpg

post-103872-0-58604500-1513530889_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mintman

Not sure I agree with your LBS. Wider rims impact mainly the sidewall profile of the rim, less of a balloon shape which helps with tread support. Judging from the images you will have no problem running Arch MK3 rims and may even get away with American Classic Wide Lightning - although wider rims work best with wider tyres which may impact clearance. So best stick with Arch Mk3 and revel in the joys of wider rims. 

Not sure I agree with your LBS. Wider rims impact mainly the sidewall profile of the rim, less of a balloon shape which helps with tread support. Judging from the images you will have no problem running Arch MK3 rims and may even get away with American Classic Wide Lightning - although wider rims work best with wider tyres which may impact clearance. So best stick with Arch Mk3 and revel in the joys of wider rims. 

That was what I felt. I would be happy running the exact same tyres with the Arch MK3. Both wheels are currently QR. Not sure whether QR has more flex and if this would have any relevance in terms of the tight fit.

I'm going to disagree with your LBS as well. What Iwan said about sidewall profile being impacted is 100% true - the width of the tyre will only be slightly impacted. I would go for a wider rim, but stick with a 2.25 tyre front, and go to a 2.25 tyre rear as well.

QR does have more flex, but will not impact fit of the wheel at all. Do yourself a favour and also get TA end caos when you buy the wheel so that when you do uograde the bike you can also re-use the new wheels.

You would probably be able to fit a 2.3 at the back, on the wider rims, but definitely what you are running now.

Perhaps see if you can't just borrow some Arch's to test fit

Dont change a thing on the bike, the cost wont justify the slight handling you might notice.

That's exactly what they felt. I respect everyone's opinion. I'm not out to prove someone right or wrong. I think the best place to start is just to see whether it is actually doable. Whether it's worth it or not is the second step.

Having said that, forking out 5k for a slight improvement is not what I would want.

I'm going to disagree with your LBS as well. What Iwan said about sidewall profile being impacted is 100% true - the width of the tyre will only be slightly impacted. I would go for a wider rim, but stick with a 2.25 tyre front, and go to a 2.25 tyre rear as well.

QR does have more flex, but will not impact fit of the wheel at all. Do yourself a favour and also get TA end caos when you buy the wheel so that when you do uograde the bike you can also re-use the new wheels.

That is a very good point. I know in time I'd like to move to thru axle.

Dont change a thing on the bike, the cost wont justify the slight handling you might notice.

That's exactly what they felt. I respect everyone's opinion. I'm not out to prove someone right or wrong. I think the best place to start is just to see whether it is actually doable. Whether it's worth it or not is the second step.

Having said that, forking out 5k for a slight improvement is not what I would want.

I respectfully disagree here. Changing your wheelset makes a big difference to your ride. 

If you were going to change your stock Jalco XCD22 for a wider version of the same rim you would be wasting your money. But you are upgrading to a much better rim, so it's not just the wider thing that is the upgrade, it is the whole package, which will be stiffer and probably lighter - which does make a massive difference to your ride. 

Wheels and tyres are probably the one upgrade that even the most inexperienced of riders will feel a difference on - so I say go for it.

I love the wider rims. But I wouldn’t go more than 25mm internal. Because you limited to tyre width a very wide rim will just end up flattening the tread profile, squaring off the edges too much.

I respectfully disagree here. Changing your wheelset makes a big difference to your ride. 

If you were going to change your stock Jalco XCD22 for a wider version of the same rim you would be wasting your money. But you are upgrading to a much better rim, so it's not just the wider thing that is the upgrade, it is the whole package, which will be stiffer and probably lighter - which does make a massive difference to your ride. 

Wheels and tyres are probably the one upgrade that even the most inexperienced of riders will feel a difference on - so I say go for it.

Thanks for the excellent advice. I see the MK3 Arch actually has 26mm internal width. Would you stick with this set or go for the HOPE 29ER (23mm) or Crest (not sure, prob 23mm)? Seems like CWC has good specials on at the moment.

Thanks for the excellent advice. I see the MK3 Arch actually has 26mm internal width. Would you stick with this set or go for the HOPE 29ER (23mm) or Crest (not sure, prob 23mm)? Seems like CWC has good specials on at the moment.

Definitely the Arch MK3, to future proof your wheels and allow for even wider tyres if you would want to at some stage, I wouldn't go any narrower than 26mm...

There is a reason those wheels are on special haha

Go for the Mk3 Arch - I have them and they're great.  The sidewall just comes up straighter than a narrower rim, it doesn't make the tyre noticeably wider so you won't have clearance issues.  

It's a big upgrade from your standard wheelset! 

Definitely the Arch MK3, to future proof your wheels and allow for even wider tyres if you would want to at some stage, I wouldn't go any narrower than 26mm...

There is a reason those wheels are on special haha

Yip

Just to add - for the front at least you can go pretty wide on that fork. I have a WTB convict 2.5 on 30mm internal rims on the front of my bike, in a non-boost rockshox Revelation fork. Fits perfectly.

I wouldn't go narrower than 25/26mm.