Tokai to reopen 7 days per week.

(Deon)

It's official! Logging contractors will be done by the 29th Dec and Tokai can reopen 7 days per week...

The gate times are now the same for Tokai as they are in summer and winter in Silvermine. SANParks have added an extra hour throughout the year around exit times. 

Basically, last entry is an hour before you are required to exit (this will be quite strictly enforced but don't fear, discussions have moved onto times now. It will help if there are no "incidences" while we continue negotiate on your behalf).

WINTER HOURS:

• Open - 8am
  • Last entry - 5pm
  • Exit by - 6pm

SUMMER HOURS:

• Open - 7am
  • Last entry - 6pm
  • Exit by - 7pm

Taken from the press release.. 

"UPPER TOKAI WEEKDAY OPENING

The Upper Tokai section of the Table Mountain National Park will re-open on weekdays from 29 December 2017 and not just on weekends as per the current status quo. Despite there still being some restrictions in place, Table Mountain National Park Management has decided that the area can be re-opened 7 days per week from the above date.

It was in the interest of public safety and the protection of environmental integrity that the Upper Tokai section of Table Mountain National Park (TMNP) was closed following the devastating fire that swept through the plantation and arboretum in March 2015. The area remained closed to the public for safety reasons whilst the remaining burnt plantation and dangerous burnt trees were removed and for rehabilitation reasons as measures were put in place to secure the exposed slopes from erosion. 

SANParks engaged with various stakeholders during the course of the closure resulting in the successful reopening of Upper Tokai on 10 December 2016 over weekends only.

Local mountain biking stakeholder and volunteer non-profit group, TokaiMTB, has played a crucial role in facilitating access for users by means of an access indemnity through their local International Mountain Bike Association (IMBA) representative, Amarider. In terms of this indemnity TokaiMTB employed marshals to ensure users did not stray into the remaining hazardous areas and to monitor compliance. TokaiMTB have also invested a further R350 000.00 in addition to the R145 000.00 from the Pedal Power Association towards the post fire rehabilitation of the mountain biking tracks as part of the community’s contribution to cycling in the park.

Upper Tokai access limitations:
• At the time of reopening on 29 December 2017, the Arboretum and Elephants Eye trail will offer access only up to level three while rehabilitation of the rest of this hiking trail continues.
• Parking in designated parking sites will remain in the Tokai picnic area as per the current arrangement. This is however dependant on parking space and availability. 
• Limited vehicular access will be allowed, at a cost of R27.00 per vehicle for parking.
• No dogs allowed
• No after hour activities allowed
• Enter at your own risk... "

Read more at the link..

https://www.facebook.com/tokaimtb/posts/734797850047299

Edited by (Deon)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done to the guys on the ground, Deon and Mark. Thanks to TMNP too, although it still pains me to say anything nice about them. 

I am so looking forward to those summer evening rides in the new year! 

7pm from the 29th but still under a fair amount of debate/discussion.

Awesome!! That means we can still get a ride in after work!

Shweeeeet!!

:D

YEAH!

Thanks to everyone involved.  You did it!   

Now please cost a nice single track climb (switchbacks, etc would be awesome) and lets raise the bucks to do it. I hated the long road climb 20 years ago, I still do. LOL

Keep your eyes peeled for a new fundraising initiative coming your way very soon  :w00t: