2018 PPA CycloSportif

LeoKnight

@DJT

It was helluva exciting.

Pity you had no more matches left after that chase.

What a frying pan it was.

I was the one with the gilet flapping

Already burnt 1300 kJ entering Paarl before my peeling off ????

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

So the sportif #4, to be held on the 2nd of Dec, which venue will they be using?  As the website shows Simonsvlei, while Sportif #4 was supposed to be at Windmeul.

Adding value to PPA membership – A discounted event entry (test)
Times are tight, cyclists want to participate in events, but entry fees quickly add up to a lot of money. We’re going to try and put some ZAR back into your pocket.
Cyclosportive #4 takes place on 2 December. The first 250 PPA members that contact the office will receive a discounted entry fee. MAIN members receive a 100% discount, with the OTHER PPA membership categories receiving a 50% discount. Please note that you need to do a manual entry for this offer (not available online) and email shana@pedalpower.org.za
Members that have already entered will receive a refund (or can donate the entry fee to the Bike4All programme). For refunds, please contact the office too.
This offer is part of an ongoing discussion, to see how we can add value to the PPA membership and retain loyalty. I have not doubt that by the time membership renewals come up in 2019, the benefits will easily repay & surpass the investment in becoming a PPA member.

Really hope this works and is a huge success...

Why do people not want to ride in the sportif?  

- Don't want to pay for riding roads they could ride for free?

- To many serious riders (which intimidate the beginners who then ride on their own at the back)?

- Not seeing the value in marshals / medics / water points ?

- Limited parking / food stalls / ?

- Boring routes?

- ??

Signed up and holding thumbs for the weather being amazing, my experience has always been good at these events.

Also sent a mail - not so sure this is a great idea

Was in 2 minds about entering this race but if I don't get a free entry now I am not exactly going to be thrilled by the idea of having to pay a full entry fee while half the field or more ride for free.

Also sent a mail - not so sure this is a great idea

Was in 2 minds about entering this race but if I don't get a free entry now I am not exactly going to be thrilled by the idea of having to pay a full entry fee while half the field or more ride for free.

The benefit in the long run, if more people join the race (free & paid), it might just lead to this become a more regular thing, thereby encouraging riders to sign up sooner rather waiting for the day before making a decision. 

On the flip side you also run the risk as it was "free" that some people that got those entries do not pitch up on the day because the do not feel like it.