2018 PPA CycloSportif

LeoKnight

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in the dudes wheel that went down, was super slow mo, he took a sip and look behind, then, the group slowed and he ploughing inti the back left of poor dude in front, luckily didn’t have to swerve much as they were skipping along the tarmac still pretty quickly.

I think the African teams thought there were UCI points on offer today they rode [emoji854][emoji854][emoji854]

i went down(StarTeam) :(

managed to brake hard enough as to not hit the kid that went down and caused it, but collided with someone on my right. Not looking forward to sleeping skinless or showering

someone send me a new supply of HTFU pills pls .. just used up mine 2weeks ago tackilng a stationary car door opening on me and nearly cutting my heart out  :(

Edited by shade

So after 7 years of "crash free" road cycling my luck finally ran out...

Was chilling at the back of A-B bunch when the middle of the bunch went down near the Hermon turn-off.

"No problems that is why I ride at the back of the bunch, will just pass to the right of the crash"

"Oh crap, the bike marshall in front of me is now also stopping, no prob, will just pass him to the right as well"

"Oh f^&* the bike marshall is now also swerving to the right, I might have to pass him in the emergency lane"

"OH F%^& the bike marshall is also swerving into the emergency lane, hope I can make a soft landing in the grass..."

"Oh f$%^ f%^& there is a barrier" 

So that was me, the bike marshall and the barrier connecting at the same time. I came off worst of the 3, at least I saw it coming, I think the bike marshall got a proper fright when out of the blue someone crashed into the right hand side of his bike.

Busted knee, buckled front rim, guess it could have been worse. Somehow limped to the finish line.

Ahhh that sucks, hope the knee is not to bad. All the best with the recovery!

so i decided to drop down a group to have a less intense race today.  a few km before the scene of the A-B accident, some riders in the group started having a go at each other as one of the riders was riding a bit recklessly in the middle of the bunch.  the scene of the accident seemed to bring some calm, but that was short-lived.

after we headed toward bothmas, a rider went down in the middle of the bunch, right next to me.  there was some very expensive and painful sounds, but i kept my eyes facing forward and i shouted at the bunch to do the same.  he must have brought down some other riders with him.

the pace started to slow as we dragged up to the main climb and something clicked and suddenly i thought "hey let's go for a PR up Bothmas".  then the whole race changed for me.  i found myself out on my own for long periods.  the group being dragged by the Savage caught up to me after my 20km solo.  i took a short break before that bunch dropped me.  there was some smaller groups forming, but their "surge then relax" riding style irritated me so I dropped them.  eventually about five of us crossed the line in about a minute.  managed to finish 6th in my group.  so much for having a "chilled" race.

I was in the dudes wheel that went down, was super slow mo, he took a sip and look behind, then, the group slowed and he ploughing inti the back left of poor dude in front, luckily didn’t have to swerve much as they were skipping along the tarmac still pretty quickly.

I think the African teams thought there were UCI points on offer today they rode [emoji854][emoji854][emoji854]

the African riders aren't here to exchange pleasantaries with you. they are here to put down markers for UCI an impress anyone who might read their palmares - leave the kitchen if its too hot

the African riders aren't here to exchange pleasantaries with you. they are here to put down markers for UCI an impress anyone who might read their palmares - leave the kitchen if its too hot

I did not expect pleasantries, but at 60km/h down hill in a pace line to pull brakes when you get to the front so the chasers dont catch the front bunch is not going to impress anyone. After that they got told to sit behind and stay out the way. We then dragged a bunch of them back to the front group, when 2 of them popped and served up dead wheels to the rest of the group. They then sat on waiting for the bunch sprint for 8th place. *Rolls eyes* 

If you are getting dropped or cant ride a 30 year old auditor with 2 kids and a slight hang over off your wheel then you aint going to impress anyone with 8th place in the sprint.

Going to email procyclingstats.com my results now.

Edited by Pure Savage

I'm sure pure savage is joking no need to be so serious, after all it's only a ppa fun ride

I was joking, just a bit miffed at almost crashing at 60km/h because some oke wants to stop the chasers making it back to the front group IN A FUN RIDE!!!

I was joking, just a bit miffed at almost crashing at 60km/h because some oke wants to stop the chasers making it back to the front group IN A FUN RIDE!!!

Qu is, is it a fun "ride" or "race" :ph34r:  LOL

We had the ladies start with us in C-D, They seemed to be all over the show when we were going 45-50km/h on the rollers, but they weren't bad on the uphills, Often the 1 lady was caught 5 or 6 wheels behind her partner, So we often allowed her to ride up and ride on her partners wheel to keep them together, But they were never a problem unlike some other guys who just seem to lack bunch riding skills. Fortunately there was no accident in our bunch, we ALMOST had a crash when approaching the scene of the A-B crash, we all moved right and I shouted don't run to look, look forward, and as we passed I saw a few wobbling wheels and some decent recoveries. The crosswinds on the way back got a tad hairy with all the guttering going on, but all in all it was a good event I think.

I did not expect pleasantries, but at 60km/h down hill in a pace line to pull brakes when you get to the front so the chasers dont catch the front bunch is not going to impress anyone. After that they got told to sit behind and stay out the way. We then dragged a bunch of them back to the front group, when 2 of them popped and served up dead wheels to the rest of the group. They then sat on waiting for the bunch sprint for 8th place. *Rolls eyes* 

If you are getting dropped or cant ride a 30 year old auditor with 2 kids and a slight hang over off your wheel then you aint going to impress anyone with 8th place in the sprint.

Going to email procyclingstats.com my results now.

ok, it's a Fun Ride so this seems like too much from the get go.  But even assuming this was a proper race, wouldn't pulling your brakes when you get to the front be against the rules?  Intentionally endangering the riders behind you to disrupt the chase?

Rotating to the front and giving a dead wheel is common in the pro peleton when you have a teammate in the breakaway, but I haven't actually heard of guys getting to the front and pulling brakes - that seems incredibly dangerous.