Fine for using Thule scissor bike rack

gvmalt

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Comes down to the mood of the cop I suppose, also had that rack for a while and never had issues. One a day a cop pulled me over in a routine road block and first thing he said was he needs to fine me because the bike is obstructing the plate.
Before I could ask anything he then asks "how much does your bike cost?" :blink:  I was like um dunno, got it for a present.
He then told me to get another plate made but make sure it doesn't touch the bike as it could scratch it. Must have been a biker himself :D  :D  :D  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

A few years back we were driving to sani2c in a mates car with my rack (with my number plate affixed). A cop blue lighted us and pulled us over. He then proceeded to tell us that driving with different numberplates is a non fineable offence and you would get taken straight to jail instead. He recommended we removed the numberplate. We told we would at the offramp where it was safer. A few minutes later he drove by slowly to me sure we were. No fine or anything.. But he was quite serious

A warning for those going through the George area. I received a fine for using the standard tow bar mounted scissors type bike rack with a single mountain bike. It supposedly blocked the number plate. I have never seen a second number plate used with these racks. Anyone know the legality or otherwise of using these racks without a second number plate. It was at a routine road block on the N2.

you've been hiding under a rock.

this is not new, just get a spare plate made up.

cost you about R80.

A few years back we were driving to sani2c in a mates car with my rack (with my number plate affixed). A cop blue lighted us and pulled us over. He then proceeded to tell us that driving with different numberplates is a non fineable offence and you would get taken straight to jail instead. He recommended we removed the numberplate. We told we would at the offramp where it was safer. A few minutes later he drove by slowly to me sure we were. No fine or anything.. But he was quite serious

yip, I recall an issue like this coming up previously. Apparently it's a straight to court issue. Seen as intention to deceive or something like that.

Always thought these would be an issue if stopped.

Seems a law that is so often broken, so much so it is  ignored as if it was no longer 

Than we are surprised it is enforced 

I had this happen on the way to the Knysna MTB one year - we queued to get fines, a long line....so I wrote to the prosecutor, mentioned that I was in town to spend money and was quite prepared to pay a fine, but that R500 seemed a bit harsh. The fine was squashed.

But, easiest way to prevent it is to spend less than R100 on a spare plate (as someone above noted)

now that's a proper cop. jeez. so badly need more of those.

Mood of the cop. Got a fine R500 for obscuring number plate. The cop could have fined me for obscuring tail lights as well but didn't want to ruin my day. I bought a trailer board with lights and trailer plug for R260. Problem solved. It takes 2 minutes to attach and another 2 minutes to take off.so a small hassle, better than throwing away 5 clip. Agree we soft targets whilst they don't worry with the more serious issues

ah the standard 'what about the taxis' argument.

Think about this for a moment. A taxi is only allowed to drive at 80km/h. Vehicle carries passengers thus the 80kmph law applies. But they barely ever maintain that. So when they drive at 120kmph they exceed it by 50%.

But you as a light mv driver driving at 140 exceeds your speed limit of a120kmph by approx 17%. More than 150 and you get arrested.

So yes the taxis do get away with murder. Feel free to pm me your number. Ill send you some pics of a recent taxi accident that sent bodies flying on the highway

Can attest to this, have been pulled over myself a couple of years ago with a scissor rackobscuring numberplate and backlights

Have sinc eswitched to a platform bike rack with its own lights and number plate

ah the standard 'what about the taxis' argument.

I agree with you.

to add for the professional victims out there.

as you are cycling down your favorite route you are suddenly hit from behind. As you are laying in the dust with blood all over the place, your bike in pieces you are able to see the back of the vehicle that hit you.

desperately you try to get the number plate before the vehicle vanishes around the next bend, but the number plate is obscured by a bicycle hanging on a rack from the back of the vehicle.

you curse the traffic cop that didn't do his work 

Whataboutsing ey....

So a thief caught in the act can say, 'What about the rapists?', while a rapist can say 'what about the murderers?'......

If you are guilty of a crime, YOU are guilty of a crime. Be it negligence or on purpose. Others are also guilty of crimes, but you are still guilty.

Pay the fine, get a numberplate and if you didn't know, brush up on your road laws.

The cops are well within their rights to fine you. Some are lucky, others are not. That 'luck' also has a LOT to do with how you react to the policeman.

That 'luck' also has a LOT to do with how you react to the policeman.

True that.

Once got caught doing 102km/h in a 60km/h zone between Polokwane and Tzaneen. I immediately apologized and acknowledged my fault but explained that I am a student, nothing else. He came back and told me that more than 40km/h over the limit is serious repurcussions, but het wrote me up for 72 in a 60 zone, gave me my fine and I happily paid it the next week.

Those cops get so much abuse out there fromm people like us, if you are friendly and straight with them and treat them with respect they might just grant you some tolerance.

But let's all get our houses in order. Getting myself one of those trailer boards in the next week.

Reminds me of the old Fortuner issue. Not so much a legal problem but just sales people who are rubbish. Had a friend who got to Oudtshoorn for the Attakwas and his new carbon wheel had melted. Pretty tough luck!

How is this sales people being rubbish?