Advice on Divorce

New Landy new life

That makes sense, I think part of the heebie jeebies comes in with the fact of how to meet guys... And the only thing that comes easily to mind is online dating, and the idea of sifting through garbage/lies/dick pics to get to some gem is very off-putting

If you decide to wade into the cesspool that is Tinder, good luck! I've heard of a few success stories, but joh.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That makes sense, I think part of the heebie jeebies comes in with the fact of how to meet guys...  And the only thing that comes easily to mind is online dating, and the idea of sifting through garbage/lies/dick pics to get to some gem is very off-putting

Our weekend ride group is usually three ladies and myself, but they are great to ride with .... and can flipping rock a DH decent.

Our weekend ride group is usually three ladies and myself, but they are great to ride with .... and can flipping rock a DH decent.

Maybe I need to hit you up then for when you guys go riding again, after world fun ride champs of course.  My mountain biking skills have taken a nose dive with all the road cycling I've been doing lately

Maybe I need to hit you up then for when you guys go riding again, after world fun ride champs of course.  My mountain biking skills have taken a nose dive with all the road cycling I've been doing lately

Looking at doing an "intermediate" MTB ride at Conters in a week or two from now for those of our commuters who are curious of playing in the dirt ... you are welcome to join this too if you want to break that MTB back in again.

For me was about 6 months but that was actually too soon.

Serious relationship was after a year 

I avoided dating like the plague, but then I never really was like that. I would just let things fall into place should I meet someone. I had a short fling that ended over a year ago and I have been involved with an amazing woman since July or so last year. She is well younger than me, but is everything my ex was not! It took me near on 3 years before another woman's lips touched mine.

Dont rush it. Wounds are deep and the mind takes time to process the thought of being with and sharing another's space.

That is an interesting question and in my opinion it is entirely up to you and how you portray yourself. The question always comes up during this dating process: why did you get divorced? And you better have a good answer. Let me explain.

If you come across as vulnerable you will be taken for a ride by the first narcissistic female dog that comes across your path, which will lead to your downfall if you don't recognise the situation and immediately put on your running shoes and run in the opposite direction. That happened to me, twice. And it took me a long time to pull myself towards myself after that. There are people that can sniff out your vulnerability better than a tracking dog, and they will try and use you for their own gain at whatever cost. Read up and educate yourself on narcissistic personality disorder. They walk among us, and they are everywhere. The older you get, the more difficult it is to find “normal” people.

You see, it is also natural to overcompensate for the things that lead to your failed marriage, which in itself has its own pitfalls. You end up being someone that is not you. It is ok to try and improve on yourself, but i don't think you should completely sacrifice who you are for the sake of another person.

I tried Tinder, i met some crazy people on there. Including a transgender person. And they are not as easy to identify as you might think! Needless to say, i put on my reeboks and ran for the hills!

I am 5 years single, and at peace with myself. I have no stress other than the usual financial issues. Do i miss having someone around? Yes of course. But i am at a point now where going where i want when i want is far more appealing to me than being in a relationship.

Get a friend with benefits. You will thank me later. ;)

Just out of curiousity, how long did it take you guys to start dating again after your divorce?

If you come across as vulnerable you will be taken for a ride by the first narcissistic female dog that comes across your path,

There are people that can sniff out your vulnerability better than a tracking dog, and they will try and use you for their own gain at whatever cost. 

^^^^^ This ^^^^^

And it happened exactly like that to me 

I can attest that there are evil people out there who will purposely use you to settle a score,  and will lose no sleep about the devastation they cause or relationships they manage to destroy.

Edited by eddy

For me it has really taken a while to trust again. I've been so defensive of my independence after being so financially dependent in my marriage. I've feared being vulnerable, thinking I could be taken for granted. All things heal with time and it has been a journey of getting my confidence back. I turned 40 a few days ago and now feel like I've 'come into myself' and ready to really share my life again now that I've got to know who I really am.

Edited by blondeonabike

For me it has really taken a while to trust again. I've been so defensive of my independence after being so financially dependent in my marriage. I've feared being vulnerable, thinking I could be taken for granted. All things heal with time and it has been a journey of getting my confidence back. I turned 40 a few days ago and now feel like I've 'come into myself' and ready to really share my life again now that I've got to know who I really am.

Well done! Seriously, that's excellent.

Yes it takes time to learn to trust people again. But more importantly, it takes time for you to learn to trust yourself again too. One of the most valuable lessons I've learnt was to listen to my family’s advice when i introduce someone to them. Family knows, and they are objective in their observation of someone knew. It is also very difficult if not impossible for the narcissist to bs several people at the same time, thus this to me is the ultimate litmus test.

By now my friends and family have also learnt not to keep bugging me about meeting someone because “you can’t be alone”. What utter BS. This is society speaking, where it is seemingly unacceptable to be single because how can you be happy when you are single?

Love yourself, be comfortable in your own company and do the things that you enjoy doing. You dont need a spouse to ride a bicycle afterall.

Edited by gemmerbal

My advice would be not to load any initial relationship/date/friendship.

Don’t see any newly acquainted person as a potential partner. Also, don’t try and find a partner outside your interests, rather find what you really enjoy, whether it’s hiking, cycling, triathlon, throw yourself at these activities, join the clubs and groups, and you’ll meet like-minded people while doing these ….  And that’s probably your best bet for finding a compatible partner.  It worked for me.

Also, don’t date while you still harbour negative thoughts towards your ex … or exes It taints stuff.  ;) 

My journey took a different path, although I didn't realise it at the time. I was emotionally disengaged for the last year of my marriage, feeling quite alone. Not a great place to be when you're changing jobs, houses, and countries in a short space of time. But in retrospect this gave me the opportunity to move on emotionally, despite living under the same roof. 

I met someone quite soon after we officially separated, and was very concerned that it was a rebound relationship for me. I've been completely honest with my partner about this, but she understands the back story of my marriage and it never felt like a rebound at all. I also unpacked a LOT with my psychologist, which has helped me immensely and helped make the right decisions and learning to trust my gut instincts. Something which I ignored for many years in my marriage.

4 months later, I feel like I'm in a really healthy relationship and I'm happy for the first time in a long while. Will see where it takes me.

Edited by GrahamS2