Cyclist down - Victoria Rd, Cape Town

Madone69

Saw x-rays of the ribs, but probably shouldn't share it here without consent. Looks bad. Long recovery ahead. Strongs to the cyclist!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thanx Andydude

????

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw x-rays of the ribs, but probably shouldn't share it here without consent. Looks bad. Long recovery ahead. Strongs to the cyclist!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

rescue services said the injuries were serious. What was the extent of those injuries?

• 3 weeks later...

Saw this posting today on the "Constantia Society" FB page from a Hayley Godfrey - 

"*urgent witness information needed**

This is a long shot but hoping my fellow hout bay people can help. My husband and daughter were involved in the head on collision on the coastal road on Christmas eve. The man who caused the accident had been driving recklessly from camps bay to Hout bay and tried to overtake a myciti causing a huge accident which involved hitting a myciti bus, my husbands car head on, causing a cyclist to be thrown down the mountain and another car was also involved. Unfortunately the police have now lost all the witness statements (there were a few from people involved in the crash and witnesses driving behind the guy who caused the accident). There are 2 cases open against him for negligent and reckless driving but now with no witness statements I'm afraid this will get thrown out. I don't want this guy to do this to someone else. Sick of people driving like idiots on that coastal road putting us all at risk!
Please DM me if you have any info available to help us"

So, seemingly SAPS has 'lost' the witness statements .. go figure !

If anyone can assist this woman, let me know and I'll send her a message with your contact details.

Saw this posting today on the "Constantia Society" FB page from a Hayley Godfrey - 

"*urgent witness information needed**

This is a long shot but hoping my fellow hout bay people can help. My husband and daughter were involved in the head on collision on the coastal road on Christmas eve. The man who caused the accident had been driving recklessly from camps bay to Hout bay and tried to overtake a myciti causing a huge accident which involved hitting a myciti bus, my husbands car head on, causing a cyclist to be thrown down the mountain and another car was also involved. Unfortunately the police have now lost all the witness statements (there were a few from people involved in the crash and witnesses driving behind the guy who caused the accident). There are 2 cases open against him for negligent and reckless driving but now with no witness statements I'm afraid this will get thrown out. I don't want this guy to do this to someone else. Sick of people driving like idiots on that coastal road putting us all at risk!

Please DM me if you have any info available to help us"

So, seemingly SAPS has 'lost' the witness statements .. go figure !

If anyone can assist this woman, let me know and I'll send her a message with your contact details.

this is really sad!

especially for all the families invovled...

...on a friday and speculation, my guess this guy/gal paid SAPS more than their Christmas bonus

How in the name of all the saints do the witness statements get lost? 

And if they are lost who's losing their job for being as incompetent as the driver who caused this accident was negligent.

Hayley Godfrey can be contacted directly at 0726730523 for those able to assist. According to a close friend of the cyclist involved, he is currently still in hospital recovering from his injuries.

:cursing: Police.  :cursing:  :thumbdown: terrible  :thumbdown:

Edit:

Note to self: Next time you have to make a statement re. a burglary or fender bender, take cellphone pictures of the documents and of the policeman who took it. 

Edited by DJR

To the cyclist, heal up soon!

To the drunk driver, to hell with you!

To the policeman, do your job dammit, you are a public servant!

How in the name of all the saints do the witness statements get lost?

And if they are lost who's losing their job for being as incompetent as the driver who caused this accident was negligent.

I have heard of people paying police to lose “things”.

Many wars ago a guy I used to know paid cops to lose his blood tests after a DUI, he was guilty, but he got off. When I tried to ask about it, they threatened me with arrest....

But surely the witnesses could resubmit?

Edited by Patchelicious

:cursing: Police. :cursing: :thumbdown: terrible :thumbdown:

Edit:

Note to self: Next time you have to make a statement re. a burglary or fender bender, take cellphone pictures of the documents and of the policeman who took it.

Criminologist here, the best thing to do is not to give a statement on scene at all as one usually in shock. Go home, type out the statement starting with all of your personal details. Print it out, take two copies. They might ask to place it in the docket. Either write the statement yourself from the typed document while reading aloud so the officer taking the statement could ask you to add required information or dictate it to the police officer and make sure that they are writing it in full and not summarising. Take a note pad to write down any info they give you. Always take the name and rank of the officer who took the statement. I'm not sure of the legality, but I take a photo of the filled in statement anyway.

WHATEVER happens, do not confront an officer or give off the vibe that they are irritating or incompetent. Police smell this a mile away and will resist you intentionally. Fake a smile, pretend to be a buddy, and a helpful caring citizen that believes strongly in the justice system.

ALSO, accidents like this usually require an illustration of what happened. Usually the movements of the car and any important spaces/objects. If you can remember robots, stop streets, road lines, then try to incude those as well. Also do this at home yourself or with someone who can draw better than you. If you can remember, also illustrate on what area of the body the cars hit.

Lastly, if it was traumatic for you, find someone to debrief to as soon as you can. It lowers the chance of developing PTSD.

Local Hout Bay crime prevention guys are involved. To those affected, please get in touch with CCP in Hout Bay and make contact with JJ - our local forum is on fire with this. Hopefully this gets justice

Criminologist here, the best thing to do is not to give a statement on scene at all as one usually in shock. Go home, type out the statement starting with all of your personal details. Print it out, take two copies. They might ask to place it in the docket. Either write the statement yourself from the typed document while reading aloud so the officer taking the statement could ask you to add required information or dictate it to the police officer and make sure that they are writing it in full and not summarising. Take a note pad to write down any info they give you. Always take the name and rank of the officer who took the statement. I'm not sure of the legality, but I take a photo of the filled in statement anyway.

WHATEVER happens, do not confront an officer or give off the vibe that they are irritating or incompetent. Police smell this a mile away and will resist you intentionally. Fake a smile, pretend to be a buddy, and a helpful caring citizen that believes strongly in the justice system.

ALSO, accidents like this usually require an illustration of what happened. Usually the movements of the car and any important spaces/objects. If you can remember robots, stop streets, road lines, then try to incude those as well. Also do this at home yourself or with someone who can draw better than you. If you can remember, also illustrate on what area of the body the cars hit.

Lastly, if it was traumatic for you, find someone to debrief to as soon as you can. It lowers the chance of developing PTSD.

Great post. Thanks for the good advice. :thumbup:

Not really relevant to thread but, does anyone know what the latest news is on the Omesh Ramnarain case? All I know is it began yesterday and will last about a week?

Just praying that this guy goes down, he just has too.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Not really relevant to thread but, does anyone know what the latest news is on the Omesh Ramnarain case? All I know is it began yesterday and will last about a week?

Just praying that this guy goes down, he just has too.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

It's being followed on this thread - https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/157470-two-cyclists-killed-in-kzn/page-24

Also looks like it's going to get 'messy'