WE ARE OPEN - Cathkin Trails - Central Drakensberg, KZN

snowbeast

After a year of hard work, minor setbacks and awesome support from the community we have opened our trails.

We are a community project with an aim to not only offer top class trails, but also to create employment in our area.

We currently have two previously unemployed locals now employed full time as trail builders.

Our aim is to increase tourism into our beautiful area and in turn jobs in the tourism industry.

Below is the announcement from the club: 

Cathkin Trails, a community project, has opened it's first fully marked 18km trail. The trail starts and finishes at the Okhahlamba buildings next to the airfield. Trail fees are R50 per day or R200 for a weeks pass. Park and Ride venues are: The Nest Hotel, Ardmore Guest Farm, The Valley Bakery, Drakensberg Brewery. Guest Sign and Ride venues are Goodersons Monks Cowl and Champagne Sports Resort. A map and rules will be at these points.
All riders MUST sign an indemnity, pay their fees and receive a wrist band at the establishments mentioned above. 
No pay - no ride. Please ensure all others you encounter on the trail have a wrist band.
Problems on the trails can be reported using the mySOS app or at the above establishments. 

We are not stopping there.

In January we will be working on phase 2 and phase 3 will follow shortly after.

Phase 2 will link onto phase 1 and bring in some untouched plantations, grueling climbs and exciting single track.

Phase 3 will also be linked and open up some stunning views as you ride at the base of the little berg.

The fee will include all trails, there are multiple entry points and park and ride facilities if you are not staying with one of our sponsors.

We will be opening up sections to be named should any corporate like to get their brand out there. Please feel free to contact me.

We are a bunch of passionate cyclists and trail runners who are also go getters.

Let me know if you would like to organize training camps or even corporate events in the area. We have the facilities and also access to top cyclists who will guide and coach your clients, staff or friends.

See you on the trails 

Nice! Did a ride up to Monks today and saw the trails along side the road, was wondering about them.

Tom

Has a great ride on the trails today, good flow and nice climbing and single track. Was wondering if there is a way to do this trail and then hook it up with some more trails around the area as the 25km route is just a bit short for the distances we are used to riding? Was wanting to do around 50-70km?

Nice! Did a ride up to Monks today and saw the trails along side the road, was wondering about them.

Tom

That's a tough ride! Be good to see you on the trails

Has a great ride on the trails today, good flow and nice climbing and single track. Was wondering if there is a way to do this trail and then hook it up with some more trails around the area as the 25km route is just a bit short for the distances we are used to riding? Was wanting to do around 50-70km?

We aiming to have a 70km open this year. Nobody owns the club or makes any profit out of it so we operating on a tight budget. Give us a shout next time you up and I can see if we can hook you up with some locals.

Congrats guys on a fantastic initiative. I look forward to riding the trails and in time weaving some longer routes together. Have you considered a membership option for part time residents or regulars in the valley? I am sure many would be happy to pay an annual fee which may help a bit with funding?

That's a tough ride! Be good to see you on the trails

Will be back in July to visit the family. Will give you guys a shout when I'm up.

Tom

Well done.

Nice to open up new trail networks for people to enjoy.

Last week we rode the All Out Adventures trails in the Cavern/Hlalanathi/Mont Aux Sources area, also very nice and a great add on for all those accommodation venues.

My only gripe was that of price, charging R110 for a day visitor is ludicrous and nothing more than a profiteering racket. Your price of R50 is totally reasonable and should see enough of an income stream to grow your network. Will certainly give it a go when we come up that way again.

Very impressed with the trail, ended up doing it three times, well done to all involved in this project.

I will be back here again.

Pleased with the idea of more trail of this standard.

We aiming to have a 70km open this year. Nobody owns the club or makes any profit out of it so we operating on a tight budget. Give us a shout next time you up and I can see if we can hook you up with some locals.

A group of us are looking to do a trip later this year and plan to stay for a few days so will need a bit of riding. What are all the options and where can I find info on all the available trails in central berg and northern berg? Most of the riders do enduro so technical is not an issue

Thanks

• 1 year later...

Anyone know if these trails are still going? Going up that side this weekend and would like to ride some trails instead of slogging away on the road.

One of the best start points is the little airport, almost opposite Champagne Sports. Nice places to eat there or from the Bakery a little further down the hill, good meals too.

Bike shop and servicing at Mountain Splendour.

In May 2018 they chopped down the forest in front of the Bakery spoiling the great single track through the forest. Hope it will be back in order by May 2019...

Another option is to take the dust road from Sawmill heading into the Sappi Forest. Great views and a coupe of Strava Segments to chase - if you're that way inclined...

Did a lot of riding there over December, the trails are in good shape. A lot of effort is going into these trails for no financial gain, Mike and the guys maintaining the trail don't get a profit out of it. Check on strava, they are opening alot of extra segments.

Best starting place is from the brewery... or is it the best ending place?  :blink: