Pannier rack on carbon fork

Sepia

Hi All

Have quick question as the concept does not sit so nicely with me.

I thought the experts on carbon stress would be able to help me in making a decision?

My dilemma is, would a pannier set fixed onto a carbon fork be ok for gravel trips using a cross type bike?

I have lugs on the fork for a bolt-on rack and also the choice of using  a Thule rack. The fixings are different - one rack uses the bolt on while the Thule does not.

Would the fork take the strain ok for using on bad gravel roads? 

Would really appreciate feedback from those who know and who have had some sort of experience with this?

Thanks

Clearly it's designed to take a bolt on rack - assuming those lugs are not for a mudguard.... check with the manufacturer.on what they built it for.

The suppliers have come back to me and said on no account will it be safe to put panniers on a carbon fork.

Hedging their bets I reckon.

I'm guessing this is the nz designed wrap on racks that Thule bought? Surely they have been put on enough bikes to know by now

Hedging their bets I reckon.

I'm guessing this is the nz designed wrap on racks that Thule bought? Surely they have been put on enough bikes to know by now

Yes, I thought so and they would covering the product they sell.

hence I asked the question on The Hub.

With all the stories about carbon cracking for no reason??? without using a bike stand, I guess I will not put any rack on my carbon fork, even the Freeload.

I see this rack has done the FC and also the Tour Divide et al.  It must be far better than what I thought it was as far as racks go.  I must show it some respect then.

Edited by Sepia

Those Kiwi/Thule racks are strong, very strong. So is the clamp system that attaches them to the seat stays (I've only ever seen the rear racks). I would not clamp that thing onto carbon. No ways.

I have also seen one attached to a steel HT where the RD cable AND the rear brake hose had been clamped inside the clamp for good measure!!! ( No names, no pack drill) Fortunately managed to resolve that before the party came to an abrupt end.

Giant Toughroad comes with a carbon fork that takes panniers, so I assume there must be others as well.The steerers .aluminium though. 

Niner carbon fork is designed to be used with panniers... 

Well the new one anyway. 

What fork is it? 

Any fork (steel, aluminium, carbon, bamboo) that has the correct fittings and has been purpose-built can have a rack and panniers fitted. 

Aftermarket fitting to a carbon fork might lead to catastrophic failure, not something I would risk.