Road Tyres

Bateleur1

What tyres would you well informed guys should one use for a road bike.

Here is my problem.  I am currently using Vredenstein tyres sold to me by my LBS.  It is however a mission to remove this tyre.  I am not interrested in a tyre, if I will be using a box of tyre levers to change it or to fix a puncture.

My criteria is as follow:

Ease of use

Grip

Cost (Good value for money)

Durability

What suggestions be from you guys.

Is it only these tyres that are a mission to remove or all tyres? If it is all tires then it's your rims that are a tad bigger then normal. I have the same problem with mine and destroyed 2 Gatorskins becasue I had to use tyre lever to put the tyre on. Look for foldable tyres next time. They stretch easier over the rim.

Mampara, I think it is the tyres.  I have new rims as well, but had the same problem when they were on my old set of rims.  I used to use another brand (cant get to the name now) but I think it is off the market, which was 80 bucks a tyre, could put it back on without using tyre levers on the same rim and gave me a good 3 - 4 thousand kilos.

Is it only these tyres that are a mission to remove or all tyres? If it is all tires then it's your rims that are a tad bigger then normal.

Had this problem recently and worked out that using both tyre levers simultaneously to get the thing on and off is a lot easier than fixing one fully and then trying to manouvere the other.

Maybe everyone's being doing it this way for years!

Make sure they are folded tyres (no steel beading). I cant recommend the GP4000 as I have used 2 sets of them on 2 different bikes in the last 14 months...... and not had a puncture yet! Smile

Another vote for the GP4000.

You may be able to find GP3000's, which are - unsprisingly - the predecessor to the GP4K.  The GP3K has been discontinued, so you may be able to get really good deals on them. 

...I cant recommend the GP4000 as I have used 2 sets of them on 2 different bikes in the last 14 months...... and not had a puncture yet! Smile

So, Gumpole, how many punctures does it take before you can recommend a tyre?

(Yeah, I know, it was prolly a typo, but I couldn't resist.)

Make sure they are folded tyres (no steel beading). I cant recommend the GP4000 as I have used 2 sets of them on 2 different bikes in the last 14 months...... and not had a puncture yet! Smile

Same here, got the foldable ones and have yet to puncture on them. Hit a little pothole the other day and I thought for sure that's going to be a snake bite but the GP4000 did not miss a beat, very impressed!

I can second that, I use gatorskins on my training bike (got more than 2xkm's on my previous gatorskins, than on the Schwalbe's I used before that). For racing I use GP4000's, no problem sofar.

I also used Hutchinson's for racing, very nice, soft and good grip in the rain, but I got even less from them than the Schwalbe's.

Big%20smile

Train on Conto Gator's: dislike their steel radial...otherwise heavy tyre..good roadholding & puncture resistance...

Race: GP4000---foldable/raced on them & will be on sunday..

So far no flats on both in over a year....Clap

"DTThumbs%20Up"