Flat pedals

Anine

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not going to start a new thread, so wil carry on with this one.

Does anyone know where I can source composite flats locally that actually have stock? I live in the Pretoria East area, but I am struggling my butt off to get (any flats).

Not too keen on going the importing route, but will if I really have to

http://trailtechcycles.co.za/product/composite-pedal-oneup-components/

Thanx for the reply, I saw the Kore post. I am just a bit worried about the convex shape? I currently have concave cheapy flats. Worked great for about 200km and then it predictably imploded. Really liked the concave shape.

However, I am a noob when it comes to cycling, so keen on getting experienced opinions.

I want to see you ride 200km on flats in 1 day..... don't worry about it...

I want to see you ride 200km on flats in 1 day..... don't worry about it...

Might need to clarify that I did 200km total on them, I would be face down in a field somewhere at 50km if I even attempted such an "abusrb" amount!  :D

Might need to clarify that I did 200km total on them, I would be face down in a field somewhere at 50km if I even attempted such an "abusrb" amount!  :D

Well... you might be under that field.... after 200km on flats :)

They are definitely less efficient than cleats - that said - they have their uses as well - especially in making mince meat out of lower limbs..... and knees... and and...

The only benefit to them is that it's easier to take a foot off sometimes - and they teach you to manage the bike better in the air than cleats - kick it away and it's gone.... (with cleats you can just pull it back).... mostly anyway - unless you are in the super skills leagues.

Cleats also have downsides... sometimes you really DO want to get rid of the bike... in a hurry.

Well... you might be under that field.... after 200km on flats :)

They are definitely less efficient than cleats - that said - they have their uses as well - especially in making mince meat out of lower limbs..... and knees... and and...

The only benefit to them is that it's easier to take a foot off sometimes - and they teach you to manage the bike better in the air than cleats - kick it away and it's gone.... (with cleats you can just pull it back).... mostly anyway - unless you are in the super skills leagues.

Cleats also have downsides... sometimes you really DO want to get rid of the bike... in a hurry.

I did 160k on flats..ok ok ok 40 short of 200...I now have a "brand new" second hand HUGELY upgraded from my el cheapo Axis and I STILL prefer my flats...spose different strokes for different folks...

I only ride with flats. According to the cleaters I should come last in every event as a result of flats being less efficient than being clipped in. Yet to happen. I regularly get the pedal efficiency lecture and pedal ahead to make my point. The 947 road event - flats, camelbak and baggies. Broke all the rules and didn't finish last there either :) :)

I did 160k on flats..ok ok ok 40 short of 200...I now have a "brand new" second hand HUGELY upgraded from my el cheapo Axis and I STILL prefer my flats...spose different strokes for different folks...

Edited by keithbe

I only ride with flats. According to the cleaters I should come last in every event as a result of flats being less efficient than being clipped in. Yet to happen. I regularly get the pedal efficiency lecture and pedal ahead to make my point. The 947 road event - flats, camelbak and baggies. Broke all the rules and didn't finish last there either :) :)

I could almost have written this post word for word... Flats, Camelbak, my baggie shorts... I even still have tubes. (Die skande!)

Closing in on 12000km riding like that. And every single ride, I have to go through the "You're on flat pedals??? Do you know how much power you're losing???!!!" speech.

So I will try, again, to move to cleats this December... Who knows. Maybe it sticks this time but I just know that when I'm riding with my flats, I'm happy and love riding my bike.

Edit to add, not all of this is sheer stubborness or lack of knowledge, some of it is simple budget limitations too.

Edited by Sidersky

Hear hear...thanks for that....last weekend ...comeing off of one of our trails here and the exit is a fairly steep hill coming out the back of a local nusery and coming down this section was a laaitie and I assume his ole man about to start their ride and the laaitie loses it as he comes off of the tar onto the gravel road ...well..he fell hard and somersaulted with his bike still attached to his feet....cleats mmmmm...no thanks ..not for this amateur...hehe

I'm bi-curious so I ride flats and cleats from time to time. Flats are certainly more fun when the theme is gravity riding and you are likely to take some risks. I can get my foot out quick enough to save most front washouts but it's not about that. It's like v12 said. Getting rid of your bike in a hurry. Ie a botched takeoff or semi dead sailor mid air. Throw the bike. Drop and roll. Not easy with cleats. I have video evidence showing thermophage avoiding many a serious scorpion due to not being cleated in and being able to do the gynae stirrup dismount over the bars.

As for efficiency. When pedaling up something smooth and chilled like fire roads, I prefer flats. Same pace. Same power. More micro adjustments of my foot to prevent knee/foot hotspots.

When climbing really techy stuff it does help being able to pull your rear wheel over something or not blowing off the pedal when you suddenly hit a staller.

Foot security is a big thing for newbs. Loosing footing on dmr vaults can cost you some skin/periosteum. But if you ride as much as possible on flats, not only does it become a once in a bluemoon event... You also learn how to activate your bike's full squish mode. Ie heels down in the rough/corners and proper jump technique. Absolutely nothing worse than watching cleat taught guys hit kickers. Gives me the heebiegeebies.

That comment wasn't for you really - I said it to the OP who is an absolute newby to riding mostly and even with cleats would struggle with 200.

And I do ride flats on a couple of bikes - just not my XC bikes - horses for courses here is important.

This is my normal thinking on the subject.

Someone just learning to ride a bike - Flats till they have some skills (skills as opposed to fitness) - and not full on high end long pin flats either....

Intermediate skilled rider starting to ride XC and race - cleats

Intermediate skills Enduro riding - Flats (enduro is not for low skilled riders)

Skilled rider Enduro riding - Cleats

Intermediate skills DH riding - Flats (DH is not for low or even some intermediate skilled riders)

Skilled rider DH riding - Cleats for top level racing - or flats (but very few Pro's actually ride flats)

Jump bikes - Flats

BMX riding - check the rules for younger and less skilled riders - they mandate flats for some categories now - which is contentious and pretty new regarding implementation dates of which I am not sure.

Those One Up pedals are ridiculously grippy. If you in Joburg, Sprocket & Jack have some in stock. 

Thank you Adr!@n!

I was struggling my @ss off to get them, all of the places I phoned or online where sold out, but S@J had one set left. Paid today, hopefully getting it delivered before the weekend!

I'm bi-curious so I ride flats and cleats from time to time. Flats are certainly more fun when the theme is gravity riding and you are likely to take some risks. I can get my foot out quick enough to save most front washouts but it's not about that. It's like v12 said. Getting rid of your bike in a hurry. Ie a botched takeoff or semi dead sailor mid air. Throw the bike. Drop and roll. Not easy with cleats. I have video evidence showing thermophage avoiding many a serious scorpion due to not being cleated in and being able to do the gynae stirrup dismount over the bars.

As for efficiency. When pedaling up something smooth and chilled like fire roads, I prefer flats. Same pace. Same power. More micro adjustments of my foot to prevent knee/foot hotspots.

When climbing really techy stuff it does help being able to pull your rear wheel over something or not blowing off the pedal when you suddenly hit a staller.

Foot security is a big thing for newbs. Loosing footing on dmr vaults can cost you some skin/periosteum. But if you ride as much as possible on flats, not only does it become a once in a bluemoon event... You also learn how to activate your bike's full squish mode. Ie heels down in the rough/corners and proper jump technique. Absolutely nothing worse than watching cleat taught guys hit kickers. Gives me the heebiegeebies.

You had me at "gynae stirrup dismount"