Egg beater pedals

mahleu

Evening all,

I've ridden on flat pedals for years. I finally decided to go to clip and got some SPD pedals and shoes. Now my friend gave me some Egg Beaters which i'd like to try. Are my SPD cleats compatible? 

If not, where can I get cleats locally? 

Thanks

Evening all,

I've ridden on flat pedals for years. I finally decided to go to clip and got some SPD pedals and shoes. Now my friend gave me some Egg Beaters which i'd like to try. Are my SPD cleats compatible? 

If not, where can I get cleats locally? 

Thanks

No. Unfortunately not.

Hand in the pedals and get Shimano pedals to match your cleats. I had crank brothers for many years before I saw the light, great pedals but they have to be serviced regularly

Thanks guys. I have Shimano pedals but I thought I should at least give the crank bros a chance. 

Hand in the pedals and get Shimano pedals to match your cleats. I had crank brothers for many years before I saw the light, great pedals but they have to be serviced regularly

Disagree .

Been riding eggbeaters for 10 years . The odd service or 2 all this time . Outweighed by the ease of clipping in and out and less strain on the outer of the knees .

Completely agree- I went through a few years of egg beaters which involved a few services. SPD’s just work- never any problems.

Disagree .

Been riding eggbeaters for 10 years . The odd service or 2 all this time . Outweighed by the ease of clipping in and out and less strain on the outer of the knees .

I also started on SPD’s, cause all the advice here on the Hub was get SPD..... was not such good advice, massive strain in my Iliotibial.

Absolutely agree on their durability. Now I have eggbeaters, Candy’s and Mallets. Very easy to maintain, all mine rebuilt with the bearing kits once, after that just a regrease annually. On endurance rides the float saves my knees.

And they keep working under all conditions. When it gets muddy, SPD’s will not clip in, after 2017 Sani, my race buddy stopped his heckling and switched all his bikes to Crankbrothers as well.

Edited by Traveler

Also disagree. I have candy's that are 5 years old. I have replaced the bearings and bushes 2 years ago. Not because I had to but because the bearing kit was on special and it look like something fun to do.

Completely agree- I went through a few years of egg beaters which involved a few services. SPD’s just work- never any problems.

Exactly the same.

After years of Egg beaters and Candy's and Crank love i switched back to SPD's after one too many random uncleats on a jump that nearly had me in hospital. SPD's (XT version) are bulletproof in many ways and never ever give up whereas with the Cranks i was always adding shims under the cleats to stop them eating my carbon shoes.

Cranks are higher maintenance (i have rebuilt a couple of sets) they are light but they also eat carbon shoes with their spring design and need a lot more cleat love to ensure you are properly clipped in all the time - they wear quicker around the cleat area.

Prior to my Cranks obsession I used to run SPD's and have never ever had to rebuild a set, or had to do something to ensure that they weren't gnawing holes in my shoes.

Cranks/Candys/Egg Beaters and their kind are light and they normally offer a quick exit and clip in and shed mud easily but with this they are also much less bulletproof (I've had them strip an axle as well) than SPDs.

SPD - not as easy a release. Don't buy the XTR version as it seems the axles give hassles. Otherwise they just never stop working.

My 10cents worth - had both. Eggbeaters/candy require regular service and the wire holding mechanism tend to bend on rock hits.

Spd much sturdier, less maintenace and better retention

If I can just weigh in on reliability:

Almost anything (apart from mallet pedals and apparently the new dropper post) made by crank bros has had serious reliability issues. IF you want to see just the tip of the iceberg: just read the comments section here in what was arguably the bravest interview of all time:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/ask-us-anything-crankbrothers-monday-june-27-1000-pst.html

To quote a friend after his pedal broke during a technical descent: "The pedals will be replaced under warranty, but my shoulder wont."

I wouldn't go a country mile of anything made by crank bros. The pedals might be more comfortable or something, but I still have the first shimano pedals that I bought 12 years ago. They still work perfectly. I think I washed them once.