Egg beater pedals

mahleu

firstly, just try the pedals out.

every set of pedals comes with one of these, so anyone who rides them should have some lying around. bit pricey just to try

https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/crank-brothers-mtb-cleats

secondly, most people who ride with eggbeaters have had SPDs at some time of their riding life. As someone who has had both.

Eggbeaters/candy's great pedals, but require maintenance

SPD's great pedals, bombproof.

I prefer riding with candys - I find them much more comfortable, and don't mind maintaining them. Where you will find an issue is that 90% of people ride with SPDs, so to swap out a bike or something normally means bringin your own pedals.

finally, if you really don't want the pedals - i'll happily take them!!

OP asked about compatibility. He got an answer. Then it turned into a thread where both sides of the fence assert their preference. Its just preference. Strokes and Folks and all that. Each with its own pro's and cons. Some people like CB, others like spd. OP will find his preference through trial and error. Conflicting views won't help his choice...

Having said that he should probably stick with spd. Because crankbrother pedals are ***.

Try the eggbeaters out, also try the shimanos. Really down to personal preference. I've ridden Shimano for years and have recently gone to Cranbros Mallet DH race on my one bike, Mallet E LS on the other, and Eggbeaters on my XC bike - the CB pedals works for me coz my knees give issues and the float helps.

The Crankbros do need more servicing than Shimanos, and used to be very unreliable, but Crankbros have very much addressed the issue in the last couple of years, and I have yet to have any issues with mine.

That said, spd pedals are bullet proof. Just try both and see which you prefer.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

CBs are great pedals. Comfortable (3% more float than SPDs), great mud clearance, etc. Problem is they require regular maintenance otherwise they break. I've had three pairs where the pedal broke clean from the shaft. The first break was 8kms before the end of Berg & Bush. Less than ideal finish to say the least.

Having started on SPDs, moved to CBs, I'm now on Look S-Tracks. I've only ridden with the S-Tracks for a year but they also seem rather fragile.

This was the last pair. It broke 1.4km into my first ride after Sani2c after being serviced just before Sani2c.

post-7796-0-71538400-1515404381_thumb.jpg

So, I guess you can try it. Problem is, the CBs just feel like far superior pedals than SPDs (IMHO anyway) and you'll probably end up preferring them, but I won't change to them just due to their durability.

Edited by Squier

Poor OP after all this conflicting advice .

Suppose he will go and buy Look pedals now .

I have been using Look pedals since 2001 and have been very happy with them.

Look S-Track.

Went through the Crankbrothers period and didnt like the amount of float, changed to Looks a few years back and doubt ill change. Great pedals and pretty tough considering..

Look S-Track.

Went through the Crankbrothers period and didnt like the amount of float, changed to Looks a few years back and doubt ill change. Great pedals and pretty tough considering..

Not really answering the OP's question here.

Apologies mr policeman, how many others have been reprimanded today?

2nd Post and you're a ****... you gonna do well here.

hehehehe

Apologies mr policeman, how many others have been reprimanded today?

2nd Post and you're a ****... you gonna do well here.

hehehehe

Evening all,

I've ridden on flat pedals for years. I finally decided to go to clip and got some SPD pedals and shoes. Now my friend gave me some Egg Beaters which i'd like to try. Are my SPD cleats compatible? 

If not, where can I get cleats locally? 

Thanks

Hi Mahleu

No, unfortunately they are not compatible. You should be able to pick up the correct cleats from your lbs. Just make sure you install them on the easy option while you testing them out. If you happy and confident with them then swop the cleats around for a more secure clip in.

Thanks everyone. Will pick up some cheap cleats from somewhere and see which I prefer. I coincidentally have a second bike at the moment so I can compare easily.

I still want to try eggbeaters sometime because they look cool.

Hard to beat the durability of spd's though. I have a pair of 5xx on my bike that I havent touched in 5 years and they are still great. I bought them 2nd hand so who knows how long the guy before had them because they looked pretty beat up when I got them.