Build or Buy

AmRider

Is it better to build  or buy.ie more cost effective to build or better to buy and specify specs?

By the replies rxd so far i suspect it is "cheaper" to buy and specify specs plus there is a warranty etc....I have a hardtail currently and want to migrate to Dual Suspension.Am looking  for either a Pyga ,Spez or Transition(so far)29er xl trail

Edited by AmRider

Is it better to build  or buy.ie more cost effective to build or better to buy and specify specs?

cheaper to buy a complete bike.... in general frame +groupset+fork bought separately will come to about the same cost as a new mtb.

As you can imagine Giant get a much better deal on a part from Shimano than joe public does for the same item through CRC.

Sure you can bargain hunt etc. but that has a time cost to it and is hit and miss

Cheaper to buy, especially if you going all new (building or buying) 

If you building with 2nd hand parts then it can work out more beneficial, however you need to know what you are buying, condition, compatibility etc.

Building gives you the spec you want, it may take longer to get all the parts together.

Buying a bike means you could sell it as a that bike later should you want to upgrade to a better bike later but, building a bike is way more fun and fulfilling. I bought a very entry level bike that I only still use the frame off and have basically rebuilt the entire thing. I'll never get my money back selling as a complete bike but, it's my perfect hardtail. 

For me it's always worked out more expensive to buy. I convince myself the complete bike is the better option because it's more cost effective, and then 6 months down the line there are maybe one or two parts that have not been changed or upgraded and I have spent a fortune.

If you are very particular then building the bike you want from the start is cheaper. If you are going to be happy with the complete bike you buy and not make major changes to it then buying a complete bike is definitely cheaper.

I have vowed to only build from here on out :) It's a bleddy nice feeling riding a bike where you have handpicked every part and that you have built yourself as well!

Edited by Grease_Monkey

A friend built this Santa and sourced most (not frame and fork, bought this new) of the parts on the hub. According to him he saved almost R40k BUT it took him 3 months to complete it and took a lot of time and patience.

post-106277-0-54118400-1515487539_thumb.jpeg

*Edit: I doubt he will buy new in future again...

Edited by peetwindhoek

In a case where you have a great HT with good specs and a trail rated fork and you want to do full sus I would say buy a frame and transplant everything. This is my plan as my standard Titan is now a trail beast and the only way I would go full sus is if I got a frame at a really good price. 

As mentioned if you are not going to replace or upgrade parts then buy new and if your current components are not going to be used then buy new. You can get a pretty decent Titan Skyrim or better yet a Silverback Slider 2 

Here's by Titan Ryde frame with almost everything rebuilt

post-97711-0-97170400-1515489238_thumb.jpg

Edited by LOCO4360

To buy will initially work you out cheaper 9 out of 10 times as you cannot beat the bulk prices the manufacturers get the parts at.

However one tends to get a severe illness called upgradenitus, which the main symptom is that you cannot for the life of you leave the bike with it's standard parts, various symptoms are directly linked to the first symptom which may include late night browsing and internet surfing, severe envy when attending bike parks, depression and then incoherent voluntary shopping.

Upgradenitus WILL cost you a arm and a leg in the long run. In an attempt to prevent this I always suggest to build a custom bike that will suit your needs and your idea of a budget +15%. Unfortunately this is only a temporary prevention and upgradenitus will once again be triggered by paging through the Hub, any bike mag, attending to social rides/races, facebook surfing and general exposure to the cycling world.

To buy will initially work you out cheaper 9 out of 10 times as you cannot beat the bulk prices the manufacturers get the parts at.

However one tends to get a severe illness called upgradenitus, which the main symptom is that you cannot for the life of you leave the bike with it's standard parts, various symptoms are directly linked to the first symptom which may include late night browsing and internet surfing, severe envy when attending bike parks, depression and then incoherent voluntary shopping.

Upgradenitus WILL cost you a arm and a leg in the long run. In an attempt to prevent this I always suggest to build a custom bike that will suit your needs and your idea of a budget +15%. Unfortunately this is only a temporary prevention and upgradenitus will once again be triggered by paging through the Hub, any bike mag, attending to social rides/races, facebook surfing and general exposure to the cycling world.

Both funny and 100% true. 

Ive built up two bikes and they both cost A LOT more than the store bought bikes. Just to echo what has been said.

If you buy second hand goods, to do a build, well that could work out less. if you shop smart. But then you need time too.. my 2c

I have patiently built my last seven bikes. I don't see the logic in spending 60-100k on a Scott or Spaz to get a k@k Roval or Swiss cheese wheelset, that you're bound to have issues with within the first 6 months IMHO. Never mind the cheap ass in house bars stem, seatpost, bars etc.

Building a bike takes patience and a sense of humour (with yourself), but it is hugely more rewarding. You will buy parts that don't fit (at some point), you will look at the bike and dislike, and subsequently change, parts, and you will probably spend nights and weekends tinkering with your new purchase.

Consider the half-way house option - buy something secondhand that is close to what you're looking for, look for some decent upgrades (wheels, bars, saddle), sell or donate the bits you don't end up using. Especially a good option for an aluminium bike with industry standard fittings (e.g. the Pyga) - there's lots available and you can pimp it up with the money saved. If you're buying carbon, and manufacturer-specific parts like the Spez, then new may be a better bet.

Edited by 100Tours

Build, but only if you are in no rush.. Have done this with 3 bikes now, collecting the bits whenever a special was on. Longest time collecting parts was a year.

Tom

By the replies rxd so far i suspect it is "cheaper" to buy and specify specs plus there is a warranty etc....I have a hardtail currently and want to migrate to Dual Suspension.Am looking  for either a Pyga ,Spez or Transition(so far)29er xl trail

I think when you cut through all personal preferences, sarcasm and jokes, the answer to your question is:

Say you saw a bike in a store and you liked all the components exactly as they were. Then you went home and tried to source all the exact same components and frame individually (and first hand), and build the bike you saw in the shop, it would be more expensive almost every time, and more effort. 

But (although it wasn't your question) there are the rewards of doing the job yourself, such as the knowledge you gain, ability to customise to exactly what you want, and basically just tinkering with the future bike of your dreams. Plus if you scrounge around for second hand stuff you can get better value for sure.