Dakar

SwissVan

Anyone following the Dakar this year?

First few days have been rather challenging with that soft sand.

Interesting to see USA MX and SX star Andrew Short doing his first Dakar, will be interesting to see how he progresses in future years

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks again that the Peugeots are in a class of their own and without any issues it may seem and all podium finish for them.

Saw there was a privateer in an Amarok currently in 30th place.

looks HECTIC!

https://youtu.be/tWIfYTMtRfs?t=179

peugeout down to 2 cars now, with loeb and dypres both out

CAR CATEGORY STANDINGS

1. Stephane Peterhansel, Jean-Paul Cottret (Peugeot) 13h 27m 26s

2. Carlos Sainz, Lucas Cruz (Peugeot) +31m 16s

3. Bernhard ten Brinke, Michel Perin (Toyota) +1h 15m 16s

4. Nasser Al-Attiyah, Mathieu Baumel (Toyota) +1h 23m 21s

5. Giniel de Villiers, Dirk von Zitzewitz (Toyota) +1h 34m 34s

Edited by freewheelin' Hub Dylan

Looks again that the Peugeots are in a class of their own and without any issues it may seem and all podium finish for them.

Saw there was a privateer in an Amarok currently in 30th place.

Not a Piejou fan, but did you see that speed difference on the beach sprint/start on stage 3.

Toyota lacks plenty of pace and suspension.

Those Piejou's can motor!

Not a Piejou fan, but did you see that speed difference on the beach sprint/start on stage 3.

Toyota lacks plenty of pace and suspension.

Those Piejou's can motor!

Yep, gene deviliers even said they cannot match them for pace

Far from over......enjoying watching. These guys are proppa tough and I’m talking about the non pampered privateers. I can categorically state I am not even remotely that tough.

Read an article yesterday that the Hillux guys were complaining about the tyre monitoring systems, apparently the 4x4 cars can only monitor whereas the normal 2x4 guys do have an inflation and deflation system on board. Seems like this is why the Peugeot's did not have any puncture issues because they are 2x4 and effectively makes use of this system.

What is the specs compared to the Peugeot guys and the Hillux guys engine wise?

Sort of watching, mostly the bikes that I enjoy so been keeping an eye on them. Those dunes were seriously challenging, tough as nuts those guys.

So it appears today's stage was cancelled due to the weather preventing crews from repairing the vehicles after the marathon stage.  

• 4 months later...

It seems that South America is running short of cash. Only Peru can afford Dakar for 2019 so the race will stay inside that country for the entire route. Mostly sand dunes, they say. ASO say they will try stay on the continent for 2020 but if funding cannot be found they will look again to Africa. Portugal, Algeria, Angola and Namibia have been approached to see if they culd fund 2020. If it comes to Namibia I definitely will go look-see.

• 6 months later...