Garmin 520 Edge help - loading an elevation map

bernardbravenboer

Hoping to get some help here. I've googled around and can't find the exact thing, but I'm guessing if it's possible someone on here would have figured out how. 

The problem: I want to be able to view WHERE I am on an elevation profile for a certain route - quite practically, I've often done (Mtb) races and pulled out my phone to look at the elevation map, cross that to how many km's we've done, and been able to go "OK, looks like we have that x big climb left", or "we're this far now into that hard piece" etc. 

I'm wondering if somehow, using the EDGE 520's segments or route profiles, you can load a race's route before the ride and be able to map yourself during it on the unit itself. i.e. on one of your data screens, have some version of the 'total' race and be able to track yourself on it. 

Not sure how the Edge differs from the Forerunner, but loading a course file will give you the profile. I've used it plenty times with great success, as you intend to use it.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I've figured it out.

Menu...Settings...Activity Profiles.

Select your default profile, and then select Data Screens.

Scroll all the way to the bottom, past Screens 1 to 5, past Map and Compass and select Elevation.

Enable it and select Totl. Ascent for Field 1 and Elevation for Field 2.

After you have imported the course from a GPX file and started the course on the Edge, scroll down to the Elevation page.

• 6 months later...

Hi there. I am considering this 520 Edge but all depends on this "Where am I on elevation profile" question. Could someone upload a screenshot of what it looks like following Neville's approach, or similar? Thank you!

Edited by steinsoz

• 2 years later...

Hi

Also looking for a garmin widget/app that will show the elevation profile of a course with a marker where I am on the course. Could only found graphical displayes with the elapsed elevation profile.

I have edge 530

Tx