five tens and foot numbness

Anine

I bought a pair of five ten impact vxi shoes recently. I ride with wide platform pedals so good weight distribution. I also tried riding with those entry level cage type pedal.

The shoe is a good fit, right size so no excessive front to back movement, but with lots of toe room, so my toes are not getting squished. I tried with and without laces through the last eyelet. laces tight, laces loose. different insole, different thickness socks.

invariable after about an hour's ride my little toes start going numb, and eventually the entire outside of my foot is numb. moving my foot position forward or backwards during pedaling makes no difference.

switched to my trail running shoes and no numbness.

help!

Is the shoe not too wide that your foot slips to the outside causing more pressure there?

Great idea, didnt think about that. I'll do some creative padding on the inside

I'm guessing you might be clenching your toes inside your shoe unknowingly.

Possibly tensing up in certain sections without realizing it?

going to pay more attention next ride. there's quite a bit of toe room, so I might be doing that. gonna stuff a sock in there :D

Great idea, didnt think about that. I'll do some creative padding on the inside

you sure then the shoe is the right size?

you sure then the shoe is the right size?

yep. just the toe box is roomy, I can wiggle my toes upwards and sidewards, the rest of the shoe fits comfortably, no excessive space in front or behind

I always found 5 tens to be too roomy. As in I need to go down a size for them to fit me correctly. Doyou need innersoles for them to fit?

I always found 5 tens to be too roomy. As in I need to go down a size for them to fit me correctly. Doyou need innersoles for them to fit?

I just switched out the original insoles with a thicker gel pair I had lying around. They seemed to fit fine without, just roomy in the toe.

I'll pad the toe area a bit to minimize movement and see how it goes. otherwise back to my takkies  :thumbdown:

Even though the shoes are the correct size front to back, are they not perhaps a bit too narrow?

Also, do you lace them up really tight?

I just switched out the original insoles with a thicker gel pair I had lying around. They seemed to fit fine without, just roomy in the toe.

I'll pad the toe area a bit to minimize movement and see how it goes. otherwise back to my takkies  :thumbdown:

Briefly rode with Minnaar's clip in impacts. Even a size down my feet didn't like them. I had raw sides on my big toe from them shifting about inside. Luckily there are lots of clip in options available so settled on some Mavics. I just ride skater shoes with my flats. Still not much options out there to match the established pedigree that comes with a pair of 5tens for flat pedals. 

Even though the shoes are the correct size front to back, are they not perhaps a bit too narrow?

Also, do you lace them up really tight?

I dont find them too narrow no. I tried lacing up tight, and loosely. 

As others have said, I might have too much toe movement up front

Perhaps your foot is moving inside the shoe during the course of your ride? Since you have so much room your foot is slipping forward as you ride constricting the blood flow?

yesterday, i had a bit of a beginner moment, in that the turn was abit sketch and i was going a bit too fast for my initial comfort. but i relaxed and rode it out. All good. The thing I noted, and which reminded me of this thread, was that my left foot's small toe felt abit pins and needles.

I think my foot was so jammed to the left riding out that corner, and once i relaxed, so did my position on the bike/pedals, and it went away in a hurry. It was a short-lived experience, but it made me wonder if Anine, your foot is actually flat on the pedal, and not pronating slightly? Runner shoes are built to accomodate pronation to some degree, bike shoes not at all.

just a thought.