KZN Gravity is now it's own entity; Est 2018

bologniusmaximus

*EDIT*

Updated the title to reflect more accurately, original Thread article can be found below.

Kzn Gravity includes the following disciplines: Enduro, Gravity and Downhill.

--

ORIGINAL:

Yesterday marked the first KZN Gravity committee meeting. Anyone and everyone was welcome at Giba Gorge to discuss what 2018 meant for all disciplines that fall under the Gravity banner.

The first big subject discussed: KZN MTB will no longer be supporting any Gravity style races at all.

That's the bad news. KZN MTB have stated that they will be focusing on XC style as well as Gravel races.

The good news? Well, there might be some, but it's going to be a very tough year for Downhill and enduro events held in KZN. KZN MTB put some funds aside for all Gravity based racing and gave it to some people to manage as a budget.

So with that a new group has emerged: KZN Gravity.

Anyone want to know more?

Edited by bologniusmaximus

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that is a good thing. The XC/Marathon guys aren't interested in the gravity disciplines and the reverse is also true.

Although it may seem like a bad thing, this is a good thing (IMHO) because now the gravity disciplines are responsible for their own destiny (so to speak) It will be hard initially but this way, the gravity disciplines are being managed by gravity people who are actually interested in that particular discipline.

Tell us more.

I think that is a good thing. The XC/Marathon guys aren't interested in the gravity disciplines and the reverse is also true.

Although it may seem like a bad thing, this is a good thing (IMHO) because now the gravity disciplines are responsible for their own destiny (so to speak) It will be hard initially but this way, the gravity disciplines are being managed by gravity people who are actually interested in that particular discipline.

Tell us more.

I agree, I'm still new to all of this but judging by how the community of XC and Gravity riders are already split it's definitely not a bad thing.

The initial start is going to be extremely tough.

So far there are 4 national stages setup and everything is over budget. The Gravity group is running a deficit of about R15 000 per stage, with stage 2 and 4 being much larger with larger deficits.

Either way, if we can get the budget problem sorted, and get some sponsors I think it will be a great thing.

Karkloof, Howick, Giba and Cascades all seem to be standing with the new group. They've already wavered entrance fees for certain racers among other things.

I really want this to work. It's a great community, the best community I've ever been part of since I joined. So I'm going to be as optimistic about all of this as possible. Even if my subject for this thread doesn't state that.

I tend to agree. I stand in awe of the downhill and enduro riders and find it the most thrilling of televised mtb disciplines. I do not, however, understand the mind processes of people like Greg Minnaar, when he repeatedly laughs at death and spits on debilitating fear. He, and his ilk, are real tough guys, something I never was.

By being forced to go it alone you can now create the correct following and image that is such a large part of this discipline. I hope to see you guys take DH to new....uh......lows? highs?

I tend to agree. I stand in awe of the downhill and enduro riders and find it the most thrilling of televised mtb disciplines. I do not, however, understand the mind processes of people like Greg Minnaar, when he repeatedly laughs at death and spits on debilitating fear. He, and his ilk, are real tough guys, something I never was.

By being forced to go it alone you can now create the correct following and image that is such a large part of this discipline. I hope to see you guys take DH to new....uh......lows? highs?

We can use all the input possible. If anyone has any ideas as to what they think we should do or who we should talk to then that would be excellent.

Currently one of our issues we're facing is that we lack shuttles. If Toyota or someone could sponsor us some weekend lifts it would be awesome.

I agree, I'm still new to all of this but judging by how the community of XC and Gravity riders are already split it's definitely not a bad thing.

The initial start is going to be extremely tough.

So far there are 4 national stages setup and everything is over budget. The Gravity group is running a deficit of about R15 000 per stage, with stage 2 and 4 being much larger with larger deficits.

Either way, if we can get the budget problem sorted, and get some sponsors I think it will be a great thing.

Karkloof, Howick, Giba and Cascades all seem to be standing with the new group. They've already wavered entrance fees for certain racers among other things.

I really want this to work. It's a great community, the best community I've ever been part of since I joined. So I'm going to be as optimistic about all of this as possible. Even if my subject for this thread doesn't state that.

I "joined" the KZN Gravity community in about 2012. Was given advice and encouragement from a lot of guys who have been in the scene for a long time. Nobody ever looked sideways at my bike/kit/lack of talent. Most guys are really friendly and will have a chat. Shortly after Master's World Champs I had surgery on a damaged shoulder and fell out of the scene. Shoulder never came right after that and I have never been able to participate for fear of doing permanent damage.

Bottom line is that sponsors need a return on their investment. Gravity is a small but growing community. Sponsors have come and gone over the years. Finding the right sponsor won't be easy. Maybe try approach a marketing agency for sponsorship. They could offer a free service and promote the series/organisation at the same time. Maybe even a medical aid company.... [emoji41]

Is Nigel Hicks still on the hub ? Have not seen him post in a while.

He should have some good input on this subject.

He's running the KZN Gravity for us. We're in super capable hands all right. And I think 2018 will be a great year for the community.

There's some huge potential with regards to this year and us splitting.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I "joined" the KZN Gravity community in about 2012. Was given advice and encouragement from a lot of guys who have been in the scene for a long time. Nobody ever looked sideways at my bike/kit/lack of talent. Most guys are really friendly and will have a chat. Shortly after Master's World Champs I had surgery on a damaged shoulder and fell out of the scene. Shoulder never came right after that and I have never been able to participate for fear of doing permanent damage.

Bottom line is that sponsors need a return on their investment. Gravity is a small but growing community. Sponsors have come and gone over the years. Finding the right sponsor won't be easy. Maybe try approach a marketing agency for sponsorship. They could offer a free service and promote the series/organisation at the same time. Maybe even a medical aid company.... [emoji41]

Yeah agreed, I was kind of just joking about the whole Toyota sponsor.

We'll make some plans, draw some local businesses.

The medical side of things is what's taking the largest chunk of cost to each race. Actually I think it's more than half the budget for each one.

KZNMTB screwed the pooch...... I don't think so. At least that was not the intention of the proposed split. I met with Nige to discuss/propose this move and he accepted. KZNMTB will continue to work with KZN Gravity where and when needed. We both report into KZN Cycling, who also support this move. The intention is to give Gravity the opportunity to run the sport how they/the riders want it run - as mentioned by Grebel. It is not a matter of KZNMTB being disinterested in Gravity, we just do not have the resources to run all disciplines how they should be run. Sponsors are key to the success of both KZNMTB and KZN Gravity and we will help each other here. If this 'split' does not work out for Gravity, we will go back to the previous structure. Hey, there can't be progress if we don't try out new ideas. 

Hey Bolo

Thanks for starting the thread, I am sure it was a real eye-opener to show riders exactly what the costs are to run a Downhill and Enduro event. 

As Ians says, KZNMTB have definitely NOT screwed the pooch as your topic emphasizes. If this was Ians goal, he definitely would not have graciously offered the R75000 funding to help our series for 2018.

There are a number of issues that go into Gravity events (Especially DH) as regulation and logistics dictate that the event needs the following:

1. Large Marshal numbers (generally 10+ people)

... keep in mind ... the World Cup DH utilised 52 - YES you read correctly - 52 Marshals over the week period 

.... this is due to regulation stating that marshals need to be in-line-of-sight so as to stop riders if someone has crashed or there is an issue on track. This is the same for National and Regional events - so it becomes very costly in this instance.

2. Large Medical Contingent -  Medics need to be spaced out at regular intervals along the track to aid any rider that crashes. A minimum contact time between a patient and a medic is 2 minutes. So in most instances we need a minimum of 4 medics on track for a short track like the 800m long track at Giba ... 

So then - think of the World Cup track again ... we had 10 medics on track if i recall. and that was cutting it fine. 

3. Shuttles - riders need to get to the top of the hill .... 

So shuttles cost money as the organisers pay parents compensation for fuel to utilise their vehicles for uplifts in the absence of a shuttle sponsor. 

The Cape had it right a few years back where they had a sponsor for their series, however the following must be kept in mind.

In 2015 I organised NMI-DSM as a title sponsor for our series - Although they are a massive corporation they were limited for shuttles as they had Merc, Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler ... none of which had any generic singlecab offerings. So this was not a great fit for them.

For 2018 I have already been in touch with a couple of dealerships and the issue here is that they are subject to defined marketing regions within the province. So even if you have a mate who owns a dealership in Stanger and will give you vehicles, his contact with the holding corporation restricts him to the north coast and he cannot assist in events in PMB for instance ...

So we are now looking at individual shuttle partnerships for each race ... 

-------------

So after all this .... think of Enduro or XCO (and lets throw Marathon in there too), none need a 

large logistics operation as DH does. 

XCO has a good suite of Marshals and Medics, but as the laps are short figure of 8 laps the quantities needed are far less than DH. 

Enduro and Marathon have almost no Logistics associated with the events.

---------------

So to budgets .... It is these logistics costs for DH that consistently puts Gravity in the hole. For 2015 and 2016, with sponsorship for the Enduro/DH series KZN was able to run the series as an almost perfect breakeven (I think we has a final shortfall of R10000 a year).

--------------

For 2018 however, we also need to host a round of the National DH Cup Series which will link with the 2nd round at Cascades. This therefore requires double the logistics (and double the costs) as the event runs over 2 days! So this really does ramp up the overall costs to host an event. 

-------------

We are very lucky however to have a passionate group of riders who do not mind getting their hands dirty digging tracks, marking trails, and assisting with all other odds and sods.

So a HUGE thanks to the Gravity community ...

-------------

The full SA Gravity Calendar is coming out today! So look out for the press release 

PS - Bolo - If you took a copy of the calendar at the meeting and are keen to go to SA Champs DH in Harties ... 

I had the wrong date on that calendar as the date was finalised on Sat and I forgot to change it before I printed it.

So the date for SA Champs DH is the 8th April .... (not July)

KZNMTB screwed the pooch...... I don't think so. At least that was not the intention of the proposed split. I met with Nige to discuss/propose this move and he accepted. KZNMTB will continue to work with KZN Gravity where and when needed. We both report into KZN Cycling, who also support this move. The intention is to give Gravity the opportunity to run the sport how they/the riders want it run - as mentioned by Grebel. It is not a matter of KZNMTB being disinterested in Gravity, we just do not have the resources to run all disciplines how they should be run. Sponsors are key to the success of both KZNMTB and KZN Gravity and we will help each other here. If this 'split' does not work out for Gravity, we will go back to the previous structure. Hey, there can't be progress if we don't try out new ideas. 

You're absolutely correct on this, as pointed out by everyone it's actually a good thing and I was just being pessimistic. But I'm definitely keen for this split now, and to help out where I can.

Yeah agreed, I was kind of just joking about the whole Toyota sponsor.

We'll make some plans, draw some local businesses.

The medical side of things is what's taking the largest chunk of cost to each race. Actually I think it's more than half the budget for each one.

well that's where you get synergy with the XCO events.

look at UCI world cup. sometimes it's DH only, sometimes XCO only, sometimes combined. I think they quite often take compromises on locations to make logistcs easier