Does the XT M8000 brakeset really have issues?

Mintman

The topic title pretty much says it all...

I have two sets of XT M8000 brakes and, naturally, I'm a little confused (and concerned/irritated) by all the comments regarding modulation and other issues. And equally so by all the praise showered on the M7000 set, since I spent more on mine. 

I haven't had any issues since fitting either set around 6 months ago. And whenever I speak to guys at Revolution cycles and This Way Out, everyone prefers the M8000 over the M7000 and doesn't know of any issues either.

On the Hub, however, there are a lot of people who talk about the M8000 set as if it were a bad flu going around that they're pretty chuffed to have dodged.

So what gives? Surely any real issues would have been corrected relatively quickly?

Edited by Mintman

Hmmm.  I won't be able to give a reply on the technical issues but what I would say is if you have no problems with it, why worry about someone elses problems?

Hmmm.  I won't be able to give a reply on the technical issues but what I would say is if you have no problems with it, why worry about someone elses problems?

Because I'm still a relative newbie and more experienced people's opinions easily unsettle me. But most of all, I worry that I am yet to encounter these issues.

It's not really issues, I think it is just that there are better brakes out there for the price. I have XT M8000s on my one bike and Formula Cura on the other - got them both for around the same price. In comparison the Curas have much stronger bite, better (much better) modulation, and need less bleeding.

With the XTs it does not take long for them to get spongy after they have been bled, and the metalic pads wear quite fast compared to the Curas. When you pull the lever they tend to lock the brakes quickly. They also tend to be noisy.

I find that I am much more confident to leave the braking for much later on the bike woth Curas, whereas with the XTs I have to start pulling on the levers a bit earlier.

Just a side note: I am heavy, over 100kg so brakes are a big thing for me. Both bikes are running XT ice tech rotors - 203mm front, 180mm rear - I love these rotors.

It may sound like I am quite against the XTs, but I am not - they are good brakes and I am not going to be replacing them, they are just a bit average in comparison to my Curas, and I am not going to be buying another set any time soon.

EDIT: I have not had one technical issue with the brakes at all. Also had a set on another bike last yeat with no issues. One thing I can say about Shimano brakes is that they are a very well made and reliable product in my experience - and this is based on about 6 or 7 sets of Shimano disc brakes over my lifetime of mountain biking.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

I have XT 785 and XT 8000 and not had any issues with either.Both sets do the job they were intended for very well.

Modulation is great on both but i do prefer the M8000.

It's not really issues, I think it is just that there are better brakes out there for the price. I have XT M8000s on my one bike and Formula Cura on the other - got them both for around the same price. In comparison the Curas have much stronger bite, better (much better) modulation, and need less bleeding.

With the XTs it does not take long for them to get spongy after they have been bled, and the metalic pads wear quite fast compared to the Curas. When you pull the lever they tend to lock the brakes quickly. They also tend to be noisy.

I find that I am much more confident to leave the braking for much later on the bike woth Curas, whereas with the XTs I have to start pulling on the levers a bit earlier.

Just a side note: I am heavy, over 100kg so brakes are a big thing for me. Both bikes are running XT ice tech rotors - 203mm front, 180mm rear - I love these rotors.

It may sound like I am quite against the XTs, but I am not - they are good brakes and I am not going to be replacing them, they are just a bit average in comparison to my Curas, and I am not going to be buying another set any time soon.

EDIT: I have not had one technical issue with the brakes at all. Also had a set on another bike last yeat with no issues. One thing I can say about Shimano brakes is that they are a very well made and reliable product in my experience - and this is based on about 6 or 7 sets of Shimano disc brakes over my lifetime of mountain biking.

That's helpful to know. The only other brakeset I had was the Formula RX. It didn't have one finger leavers, which some people seem to like, but it's power was ridiculously good. Just as you said, I felt so much more confident and didn't need to apply too much pressure to get the required speed change. But, like a real newbie, I struggled to replace the pads and let the pistons come out while doing it, which made it impossible without a bleed. Then I was also told that the oil was different and needed to be bled more often.

So I thought I was treating myself to a nice little upgrade when I swapped them for the M8000. But truth be told, I miss them so much. sob...

That's helpful to know. The only other brakeset I had was the Formula RX. It didn't have one finger leavers, which some people seem to like, but it's power was ridiculously good. Just as you said, I felt so much more confident and didn't need to apply too much pressure to get the required speed change. But, like a real newbie, I struggled to replace the pads and let the pistons come out while doing it, which made it impossible without a bleed. Then I was also told that the oil was different and needed to be bled more often.

So I thought I was treating myself to a nice little upgrade when I swapped them for the M8000. But truth be told, I miss them so much. sob...

Formula Cura was the first model of Formula brakes to use mineral oil like Shimano and most other brands. The older Formula stuff uses DOT fluid which is a mess to work with... so I would say you made the right choice.

Don't let other people's opinions put you off XTs, sure there are better brakes out there. But there is always something better. I wouldn't recommend buying them again, but the marginal increase in performance you are going to get from other brakes in the same price class is not worth the money.

Sure, if you are looking to get some Hope brakes I'd say go for it - but they are double the price and cannot really be compared to XTs.

If they work and you don't experience issues, then there is no issue...

Formula Cura was the first model of Formula brakes to use mineral oil like Shimano and most other brands. The older Formula stuff uses DOT fluid which is a mess to work with... so I would say you made the right choice.

Don't let other people's opinions put you off XTs, sure there are better brakes out there. But there is always something better. I wouldn't recommend buying them again, but the marginal increase in performance you are going to get from other brakes in the same price class is not worth the money.

Sure, if you are looking to get some Hope brakes I'd say go for it - but they are double the price and cannot really be compared to XTs.

If they work and you don't experience issues, then there is no issue...

Really appreciate your feedback, as always.  :thumbup:

I think its often just a case of personal preference.

I've has loads of different brands and models over the years, and currently have XT on 2 of my bikes, and Guide on another.

I like my XT, never had any issues. I like the feel, even though its not for everyone - like everything in life

Because I'm still a relative newbie and more experienced people's opinions easily unsettle me.

Nee man. Just ride and enjoy what you have. Don't let others opinions affect you.

Alot of times the opinion isn't based on personal experience. It's like the Bakkie debate, the most vocal Hilux supporter I'veet droves a polo, but according to him all Ranger's are ***. A lot of the shimano haters haven't ridden what they are hating on, but they pretend to be experts.

Mintman, ride em and enjoy them...

As others say, they work for some, they don't for others...

I've had both the M785 and M8000, i prefer the feel of the M8000, bought the guides which i never did like riding mates bikes, but i want to give them a chance on my own... except the guides came with their own issues...

These are still the only 2 common ones we know, never mind the Formulas and Hopes both of which others swear by...

Knew you were a solid guy! I'd like to comment on this thread but I haven't looked back since going Cura. Most undercover, great kit, going about at the moment. I've found loads of bike shop guys run them and love them everyone else over looks them. Odd.

Only other ones I'd buy is hope but when guys are finding them locally for R6K at a discount and finding them a 'bargain' it's gonna take alot to move me off the Formulas (RI got new for R2500) esp as they have been run on the DH circuit and proven there and have the nifty quick release / lock off thing that mean you can unclip move to a different bike / frame and no bleeding. 

Edited by hellocolour

Knew you were a solid guy! I'd like to comment on this thread but I haven't looked back since going Cura. Most undercover, great kit, going about at the moment. I've found loads of bike shop guys run them and love them everyone else over looks them. Odd.

Only other ones I'd buy is hope but when guys are finding them locally for R6K at a discount and finding them a 'bargain' it's gonna take alot to move me off the Formulas (RI got new for R2500) esp as they have been run on the DH circuit and proven there and have the nifty quick release / lock off thing that mean you can unclip move to a different bike / frame and no bleeding.

Haha glad my choice in brakes reflect well on my character! I actually fell upon the Curas by chance. Wanted to buy a set of XTs from Trailtech and Cameron told me about the Curas which they could do at a discount - decided to give it a shot, an man am I happy I did!

Would also have loved to try some Hope E4s, just a pity it's so expensive. I am still willing to take the chance on importing hubs from CRC since there isn't much that can go wrong, but brakes are a bit risky if you have to warranty them.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

I reckon there are "so many" XT issues out there simply because XT sells tons and tons and tond and tons and tons  of brakes - as a failure percentage I would imagine the number is really low.

Given my experience in the shop I'd say Shimano have the least brake issues (apart from those XTRs that didn't work well in the cold and a bunch of numpties that refused to read the instruction manual and used a syringe to pop the seals on the lever).

SLX brakes - bombproof!