Stolen Thule Bike Rack

DirtyDan

So, I decide to come into the city for the weekend after moving out to Ceres this year, thinking it's a pretty good idea to visit my good mate and le Hub legend, Myles Mayhew.

Myles recently moved into a pretty sweet pozzie in Plumstead, Cape Town and of course a braai is the standard procedure.

Now, me pursuing a rather fulfilling lifestyle of "Bike is Life", I keep my Thule platform, 2-bike rack locked onto my tow bar pretty much 24/7. I've had this amazing bike rack since my 18th in 2011 (yes I'm still a laaitie - be jealous!) and it has served me perfectly. Thule might be p**s expensive, but is definitely worth it, especially when your parents spoil you like a brat...

So, the lady and I park just off Main Road, in front of Figaro Hair Designs (F.H.D.).

Fast forward through amazing food (cooked by Myles himself in the "man oven" a.k.a. a Weber), lekker beer and general merriness with quality friends, we leave shortly after 10pm. Only to find that the tiny rear, left window of my beloved Polo Vivo had been shattered, but fortunately held in place by the smash-and-grab film. Pretty annoyed, I was not prepared for what I noticed next...

My incredible Thule bicycle rack was as absent as Zuma come court time! Not only my bike rack, but my blerrie tow bar ball too! They had unscrewed my tow bar head bolts and made off with the head locked inside the bike rack... It doesn't end there though. Just to rub my white privilege in my face, they clipped through my trailer lights electronic cable and sommer the female coupler too!

I must say, this kind of theft/crime was probably planned with tools and alles. Not exactly your opportunistic kind of crime.

Anyway, family and I are grateful the entire car wasn't stolen or that I wasn't hijacked. Bike rack not explicitly insured, but I have a nice broker and he's going to see what he can do with the car insurance.

So, ladies and gentleman. Hide your wife, hide your kids, hide your husbands and most of all, hide your bike racks. 'Cause they out pillaging err'body!

Sorry for your lost.

You can't leave anything outside in Plumstead. 

Two years ago I left my Hilux outside, came out just before sunset, saw a guy running down road. Got to my van, notice tailgate was open and rear light hanging on one bolt.

My car needs to be outside from tonight on wards parked in a bay inside the complex and earlier I removed my whole pro ride system with wingbars and all. Better to be safe than sorry. Explained to one of my friend that they brake the covers and unscrew the complete rack. His response, "That explains why I see people with racks without covers".

I hope your broker sorts you out.